Just In.......

Clinically Depressed

......from the reserve game at Lesser Hampden. The lads won convincingly by 5-1. They went behind to a screamer of a goal, but then a first half het-trick by Martin grehan settled the tie. Goals in the 2nd half by the mystery trialist and a stormer from Chris Erskine. He got the ball near the halfway line, then ran at goal, beating a number of opponents before blasting the ball home.

Pics may be up tomorrow, but no guarantees of quality due to the phenomenally pisspoor lights at the ground.

First time I've seen a couple of the younger players at any sort of length.

Scully didn't have much to do and had little chance with the Queens goal which was a cracking strike. He decided to stay on his line when he should have came to clear up a ball over the top which put Ketterer under a bit of pressure but, other than that, looked quite assured. Kicking seemed a little better than Shepherd's.

Was unconvinced with Ketterer, despite hearing good things about him. Looked relatively pacey but often dwelled on the ball and played passes into the midfielders whilst they were facing our goal and under pressure from a Queens player. Subbed at half time for Lochhead. Maybe just a poor game.

Campbell had a quiet first half but came onto a better game in the second. Carries the ball well and has a decent turn of pace.

Fraser seemed a little over-enthusiastic at times and was often asking for the ball while clearly offside. He can shout, that's for sure; the trialist will tell you so. He's bustling - that's probably the best way to describe him. Still a very raw talent.

As for the more established players, Erskine was excellent. Great run for his goal although he would have got a bollocking had he missed because Fraser was in a decent position to score. Grehan took his goals well, two tap-ins and a good header, but missed a sitter at the start of the second half. McGowan went through the motions and Cairney was again pretty anonymous. Balatoni had a decent game.

The trialist seems a little too similar to Doolan; picks the ball up from deep and lays it off, decent movement but not a finisher from what I seen. Although, saying that, I tend to think he might be more impressive with better players around him. Deserves another game, I'd say. We were interested in him a few years ago when he left Wolves but he decided to go back over to Northern Ireland.

He played well for 60-70 mins then faded a bit. Reasonable pace, good mobility and positioning. A bit of a Doolan like payer but maybe a bit stronger...held the ball up well, decent touch 9 times out of 10. Scored one might have done better with a couple of other chances.

......from the reserve game at Lesser Hampden. The lads won convincingly by 5-1. They went behind to a screamer of a goal, but then a first half het-trick by Martin grehan settled the tie. Goals in the 2nd half by the mystery trialist and a stormer from Chris Erskine. He got the ball near the halfway line, then ran at goal, beating a number of opponents before blasting the ball home.

Pics may be up tomorrow, but no guarantees of quality due to the phenomenally pisspoor lights at the ground.

Grehan IS the difference ;)

First time I've seen a couple of the younger players at any sort of length.

Scully didn't have much to do and had little chance with the Queens goal which was a cracking strike. He decided to stay on his line when he should have came to clear up a ball over the top which put Ketterer under a bit of pressure but, other than that, looked quite assured. Kicking seemed a little better than Shepherd's.

Was unconvinced with Ketterer, despite hearing good things about him. Looked relatively pacey but often dwelled on the ball and played passes into the midfielders whilst they were facing our goal and under pressure from a Queens player. Subbed at half time for Lochhead. Maybe just a poor game.

Campbell had a quiet first half but came onto a better game in the second. Carries the ball well and has a decent turn of pace.

Fraser seemed a little over-enthusiastic at times and was often asking for the ball while clearly offside. He can shout, that's for sure; the trialist will tell you so. He's bustling - that's probably the best way to describe him. Still a very raw talent.

As for the more established players, Erskine was excellent. Great run for his goal although he would have got a bollocking had he missed because Fraser was in a decent position to score. Grehan took his goals well, two tap-ins and a good header, but missed a sitter at the start of the second half. McGowan went through the motions and Cairney was again pretty anonymous. Balatoni had a decent game.

The trialist seems a little too similar to Doolan; picks the ball up from deep and lays it off, decent movement but not a finisher from what I seen. Although, saying that, I tend to think he might be more impressive with better players around him. Deserves another game, I'd say. We were interested in him a few years ago when he left Wolves but he decided to go back over to Northern Ireland.

Maybe if there was more over-enthusiastic players like Fraser we would be higher up the league.In regard to Fraser being offside,if the ball had been passed first time to him then he was clearly onside.Give the young boys more of a chance,then you will see the team winning.

Maybe if there was more over-enthusiastic players like Fraser we would be higher up the league.In regard to Fraser being offside,if the ball had been passed first time to him then he was clearly onside.Give the young boys more of a chance,then you will see the team winning.

I think you've misinterpreted my use of over-enthusiastic; I wasn't having a go at Fraser. For a guy who has only taken up football relatively recently, his progress is excellent. However, it is clear he still lacks a wee bit of intelligence on the pitch but that will come with games.

I'm not sure which time you are referring to when he was offside because there were a few. On most of the ocassions, it would have been irrelevant if the ball was played earlier because he was blatantly offside. On one ocassion, he was shouting for the ball and the closest defender was about five yards behind him.

But, just to re-iterate, this is merely constructive criticism, nothing malicious. :thumbsup2:

Edited by Armand2

I think you've misinterpreted my use of over-enthusiastic; I wasn't having a go at Fraser. For a guy who has only taken up football relatively recently, his progress is excellent. However, it is clear he still lacks a wee bit of intelligence on the pitch but that will come with games.

I'm not sure which time you are referring to when he was offside because there were a few. On most of the ocassions, it would have been irrelevant if the ball was played earlier because he was blatantly offside. On one ocassion, he was shouting for the ball and the closest defender was about five yards behind him.

But, just to re-iterate, this is merely constructive criticism, nothing malicious. :thumbsup2:

I think this is an example of one of the major problems within the Jags support (and perhaps football forums in general???) To be a Jags fan it seems you either have to be overtly positive or far too negative. Armand2 was merely commenting on the game as he saw it and, to be fair, I happen to agree. (Please note, Stevo, this isnt me having a go at you, just a general musing of sorts.) From viewing the game the other night (and having wached the rserves and unders a fair bit in the last two seasons) Shaun Fraser has an awful lot going for him and im excited to see how far he can go with us. However, it was also clear that he, perhaps, hasnt learned to read the line as well as he could and this is something he can work on. Armand didnt have a go at Shaun and I know he rates him very highly as a promising youngster. Im all for supporting the players (especially the youngsters) but maybe we should give each other more of a chance too? I enjoy discussing the team with fellow supporters and part of that surely has to be involve differences of opinion? I dont see why this has to necessarily be a negative thing.

Given that in most u-19s games there appears to be no linesman, making sure you are clearly onside probably isn't an issue & something you have to adapt to. I watched the 1st half of the game against Cowdenbeath last weekend & 1 of his goals was about 3 yards offside, but with no linesman, the ref has no way of spotting it. You could say it's good striking play at that level.

Anyway, how often do we see bad offside decisions, about 5 times a game! He'll get away with some, not others.