Interesting Article

GrantB

Why Football Clubs Matter

Maybe Thistle could look into utilising the likes of the Aitken Suite for something similar to Watford's idea during the week?

That was part and parcel of Kieron's community initiatives - we were advised that the board didn't have "an appetite" for continuing such things despite the obvioud mutual benefits.

Football clubs matter because of the mutual benefits arising out of such arrangements and the relationships that develop. They absolutely don't matter on their own account

That was part and parcel of Kieron's community initiatives - we were advised that the board didn't have "an appetite" for continuing such things despite the obvioud mutual benefits.

Football clubs matter because of the mutual benefits arising out of such arrangements and the relationships that develop. They absolutely don't matter on their own account

Totally agree. Shame that the BoD have that attitude.

Also a pity that someone of Kieron's enthusiasm has been lost to the club.

Totally agree. Shame that the BoD have that attitude.

Also a pity that someone of Kieron's enthusiasm has been lost to the club.

Well it's time that the board were set straight on what they should be getting involved in. I don't see how they can lose. They don't have to get distracted from their core purposes, but this can only help surely, and in our future, and make us a bit more than just a fitba club.

Assuming this is their stance, I'd ask the club board to get thinking seriously about it. One for the next meet the fans evening? Or should it wait that long? Hmm, probably not.

Edited by beep0608

Did they give reason for such apathy? I could understand if such schemes were to cost the club money, man power, time or any other inconvenience. Given the desperation to generate income I could understand their lack of enthusiam to be directly involved in the running of such schemes without financial return.

However, this attitude appears woefully short sighted, snobbish and lazy. Offering areas within the stadium for activities run by independant volunteers, whereby any costs incurred are covered by a nominal rent, seems an absloutely essential practice if the club are to seriously present themselves as a "community club".

My mum and dad's church is not a million miles away from Firhill. The church hall and adjoining rooms are in use every day of the week by all kinds of different clubs and societies, not all with a direct connection to religion or the church. Amature dramatics, a sewing group and coincedently a Tai Chi group. I don't think the church will make a fortune out of this nor will it be full of converts at the sunday service. However, what is certain is that it is invaluable in keeping the local community strong, active and informed. Community Central Halls works similarly.

Is this the excuse for the Board? The facility is offered locally already? If so, shame on them.

Did they give reason for such apathy? I could understand if such schemes were to cost the club money, man power, time or any other inconvenience. Given the desperation to generate income I could understand their lack of enthusiam to be directly involved in the running of such schemes without financial return.

However, this attitude appears woefully short sighted, snobbish and lazy. Offering areas within the stadium for activities run by independant volunteers, whereby any costs incurred are covered by a nominal rent, seems an absloutely essential practice if the club are to seriously present themselves as a "community club".

My mum and dad's church is not a million miles away from Firhill. The church hall and adjoining rooms are in use every day of the week by all kinds of different clubs and societies, not all with a direct connection to religion or the church. Amature dramatics, a sewing group and coincedently a Tai Chi group. I don't think the church will make a fortune out of this nor will it be full of converts at the sunday service. However, what is certain is that it is invaluable in keeping the local community strong, active and informed. Community Central Halls works similarly.

Is this the excuse for the Board? The facility is offered locally already? If so, shame on them.

All of the stuff set up by Kieron was low/no cost. It was also acknowledged by Denis McQuade and Billy Allan as a good things to have as well as it was an additional factor to be used with potential sponsors - as well as buying into the club you were also buying into some valuable community-based projects as well. That all seems to me to be a virtuous cycle.

The comparision you make with the church is an interesting one - that's a whole network of people with a shared interest in the continuation of that church whether you see it as a place of worship or as a valuable facility to the community.

The comparision you make with the church is an interesting one - that's a whole network of people with a shared interest in the continuation of that church whether you see it as a place of worship or as a valuable facility to the community.

That's it in a nutshell really. Networking.

It's a two way street. One show's what one has to offer and in return finds out what others might contribute.

Firhill is known as a venue able to accomodate about 10,000 spectators, primarily for football. We've expanded to rugby. From which we make profit, but sacrifice playing surface quality. However, there is more to offer than a pitch at firhill.

The aim should be to have Firhill known as a valued hub of the community, buzzing with life and activity. The club should maximise utilisation of the other areas within the stadium. I'm aware the club may offer catering and hospitality services for weddings, birthdays even corporate events? Perhaps there is reluctance to expand on usage for fear of devaluing the product?

But, spaces such as the Aitken suite, Allan Rough lounge, the vacated(?) top floor office space have definite potential use as meeting space, reherasal rooms, practice areas to community groups. A nominal rent to cover heating, lighting, possibly tea/coffee making facilities and small deposit or rental agreement would safeguard against loss. Even if no profit is made it can defend against the deterioration of those areas through neglect and promotes Partick Thistle as a positively useful institution.

All it would take is an ad in the programme to set the wheels in motion, and breathe some new life into stadium.

To me the comparison with the church is an obvious one. How many times have you heard, "football is my religion!". I certainly have faith in PTFC so, cheesey as it sounds..... Firhill is my church. ..... Koom by ya ma JAGOES!! KOOM BY YA!!!! :innocent: