Passport, Romanisation Of Japanese

sigesige00

Japan is a strange country. I say so because the Department of Foreign Affairs openly defy the cabinet's decree.

As for the Romanisation of Japanese, the Japanese cabinet declared that the Kunrei-system should be used, and the Hepburn system (English-biased one) can only be used for exceptional cases. However, the Department of Foreign Affairs, responsible for issuing passports for the Japanese citizens, uses the Hepburn system (in fact, the worsened version of the Hepburn system, because there is no long-vowels mark).

Japanese is a language which distinguishes short and long vowels. Japanese language had 10 vowels -- a i u e o â î û ê ô.

But, in the Japanese passports, there are no long vowels. Therefore, Mr. Ôtani is written Otani. Mr. Ôtani and Mr. Otani are indistinguishable. This is quite funny because Ôtani means a big valley and Otani means a small valley.

I am suggesting a new way of Romanisation of Japanese. In my opinion, long sound can be expressed by ~. â î û ê ô are difficult to type on computers but people can easily type a~ i~ u~ e~ o~. This method is useful for eesti keel (Estonian), which has "double long" vowels. If the Estonians use ~ as long vowels mark, they can easily distinguish ~ and ~~.

And ん in Japanese should be written ŋ. It is surprising that there is no ŋ in the computer keyboards. English needs ŋ to correctly spell the phonemes. For example, "England" is not iŋland but iŋgland. And, Chinese and Korean also have ŋ. Japanese also needs ŋ.

And Japanese has "sokuoŋ (っ)", which is now written by double consonants, for example Nippon. However, this method is not perfect because "sokuoŋ (っ)" cannot be written when it is in the last of a word. "sokuoŋ (っ)" should be written "q".

By this method, "Nippon" is "Niqpoŋ".

In my method:

a i u e o

ka ki ku ke ko

sa si su se so

ta ti tu te to

na ni nu ne no

ha hi hu he ho

ma mi mu me mo

ga gi gu ge go

za zi zu ze zo

da (di) (du) de do

ba bi bu be bo

pa pi pu pe po

ja ju jo

wa

kja kju kjo

sja sju sjo

tja tju tjo

nja nju njo

hja hju hjo

mja mju mjo

gja gju gjo

zja zju zjo

(dja) (dju) (djo)

bja bju bjo

pja pju pjo

kwa

gwa

~

q

ŋ

Edited by sigesige00

Japan is a strange country. I say so because the Department of Foreign Affairs openly defy the cabinet's decree.

As for the Romanisation of Japanese, the Japanese cabinet declared that the Kunrei-system should be used, and the Hepburn system (English-biased one) can only be used for exceptional cases. However, the Department of Foreign Affairs, responsible for issuing passports for the Japanese citizens, uses the Hepburn system (in fact, the worsened version of the Hepburn system, because there is no long-vowels mark).

Japanese is a language which distinguishes short and long vowels. Japanese language had 10 vowels -- a i u e o â î û ê ô.

But, in the Japanese passports, there are no long vowels. Therefore, Mr. Ôtani is written Otani. Mr. Ôtani and Mr. Otani are indistinguishable. This is quite funny because Ôtani means a big valley and Otani means a small valley.

I am suggesting a new way of Romanisation of Japanese. In my opinion, long sound can be expressed by ~. â î û ê ô are difficult to type on computers but people can easily type a~ i~ u~ e~ o~. This method is useful for eesti keel (Estonian), which has "double long" vowels. If the Estonians use ~ as long vowels mark, they can easily distinguish ~ and ~~.

And ん in Japanese should be written ŋ. It is surprising that there is no ŋ in the computer keyboards. English needs ŋ to correctly spell the phonemes. For example, "England" is not iŋland but iŋgland. And, Chinese and Korean also have ŋ. Japanese also needs ŋ.

And Japanese has "sokuoŋ (っ)", which is now written by double consonants, for example Nippon. However, this method is not perfect because "sokuoŋ (っ)" cannot be written when it is in the last of a word. "sokuoŋ (っ)" should be written "q".

In my method:

a i u e o

ka ki ku ke ko

sa si su se so

ta ti tu te to

na ni nu ne no

ha hi hu he ho

ma mi mu me mo

ga gi gu ge go

za zi zu ze zo

da (di) (du) de do

ba bi bu be bo

pa pi pu pe po

ja ju jo

wa

kja kju kjo

sja sju sjo

tja tju tjo

nja nju njo

hja hju hjo

mja mju mjo

gja gju gjo

zja zju zjo

(dja) (dju) (djo)

bja bju bjo

pja pju pjo

kwa

gwa

~

q

ŋ

Looking forward to seeing Norwegian Wood at the cinema and I will look out for these vowel sounds. I only know very few Japanese words, those for hello, goodbye and thank you and have no idea how to spell them in Roman letters.

In my method:

a i u e o

ka ki ku ke ko

sa si su se so

ta ti tu te to

na ni nu ne no

ha hi hu he ho

ma mi mu me mo

ga gi gu ge go

za zi zu ze zo

da (di) (du) de do

ba bi bu be bo

pa pi pu pe po

ja ju jo

wa

kja kju kjo

sja sju sjo

tja tju tjo

nja nju njo

hja hju hjo

mja mju mjo

gja gju gjo

zja zju zjo

(dja) (dju) (djo)

bja bju bjo

pja pju pjo

kwa

gwa

~

q

ŋ

Here's one for you sigsig:

De Doo Doo Doo

De Daa Daa Daa

Most reminiscent of a Police song from the 80's.

In my method:

a i u e o

ka ki ku ke ko

sa si su se so

ta ti tu te to

na ni nu ne no

ha hi hu he ho

ma mi mu me mo

ga gi gu ge go

za zi zu ze zo

da (di) (du) de do

ba bi bu be bo

pa pi pu pe po

ja ju jo

wa

kja kju kjo

sja sju sjo

tja tju tjo

nja nju njo

hja hju hjo

mja mju mjo

gja gju gjo

zja zju zjo

(dja) (dju) (djo)

bja bju bjo

pja pju pjo

kwa

gwa

~

q

ŋ

Shouldn't that be ha he fu he ho?

Shouldn't that be ha he fu he ho?

In the Hepburn system, these sounds are written ha hi fu he ho.

However, this is wrong because this system ignores the phoneme h.

Yes, ふ is heard fu, for English speakers. However, in the phonemic system of Japanese, this is a h-sound, so must be spelled hu.

In the Hepburn system, these sounds are written ha hi fu he ho.

However, this is wrong because this system ignores the phoneme h.

Yes, ふ is heard fu, for English speakers. However, in the phonemic system of Japanese, this is a h-sound, so must be spelled hu.

Your English is amazing. Its come on leaps and bounds since you first started pretending you were foreign on here.