Derek Riordan Question

Smalltown

Hi! I'm a Jags fan in the US. My MLS team is the Houston Dynamo. they are having ongoing discussions with Riordan about coming to the US. I know how his statistics are but never get to see him play (other than rare highlights). should I be excited about this move (if it comes to pass) or is he even likely to make such a move? Dynamo have a good looking young striker in Will Bruin (pro rookie but an excellent college player and several pro goals already) and Brian Ching who has been on the US national team but who is also becoming much more injury prone, plus we just acquired Sergio Koke from Aris in Greece who can play either at striker or in midfield. I appreciate your thoughts. thank you!

Riordan has got a reputation as a bit of nutter off the park. That's possibly as he's exposed to his home town Edinburgh. Perhaps putting some distance from Scotland and the fact he's no longer a young man will give you a maturer signing.

On the pitch the player is reportedly played in a wide position that's no doubt curtailed his goals to games ratio. Riordan is reasonably two footed and isn't bad at all with a dead ball.

The guy's a bit typical of many a Scottish player of the past. No shortage of skill but has a well used self destruct button. How much his attitude is down to his home environment is the gamble your club is taking.

probably better asking on a hibernian forum, but from my limited knowledge he was a promising talent who has never fulfilled the potential he appeared to have, I remember thinking he may have went on to play in the premiership or with scotland regularly. Disappointing with celtic, returned to hibs, trouble maker in edinburgh and could be healthy for him to get a move abroad away from the "goldfish bowl" of his home town. he may do ok i dont imagine the standard of the mls being too much higher than the spl if higher at all, so he'd get you goals im sure.

thank you for the thoughts so far. that matches what I'd heard about him perhaps not being the best clubhouse person (especially given that we have a lot of younger guys on the team). No team needs a problem causer, unless he's really outstanding on the pitch. I appreciate your inputs.

Great talent but no brains. Friends with a lot of Hibs fans who rated him higher than Steven Fletcher by a long way, but has never had the mentality to make the most of his ability.

Banned from every nightclub in Edinburgh. Heard a story about when he was recalled to the Scottish squad to play Japan a couple of years ago. Came prancing into the dressing room boasting about the recall and going on about playing for his country at Hampden. Only then did someone tell him the game was in Japan, to which his reply was oh ffs that's about 2 days away!!

I always thought he was by far the best of the many young talents coming through at Hibs alongside O'Connor, Brown and others. Has never fulfilled his obvious potential but is still arguably the most talented player in the SPL outside the Old Firm (perhaps including them). Problem as others have said has always been his attitude, a move to Houston and away from Glasgow/Edinburgh could re-invigorate him and from my admittedly limited knowledge of the MLS he could be an excellent player over there.

Long trip to home games! Must have deep pockets.

I wish! became a Dynamo fan because my son really liked Brian Ching (not sure why, probably saw him have a good game in a US national team match), so we started following them. Never have been to see them in person, they only come to Chicago once per season and we've always had a conflict, usually with one of my son's games. it's over 2 hours from our home to Chicago, so we do almost all our watching on TV or on internet. I appreciate all your responses.