Drug Liberalisation

I'm not trying to belittle the scale of the problem, and do think that "society" (whatever that is) should be doing some more. But precisely what, especially in view of the problem which is already huge and will almost inevitably become much, much worse, isn't clear at all.

I think everyone who works in this area know they are only a sticking plaster and only reaching a tiny minority too. However, something has got to be better than nothing. It's nice to hear so many names coming out in favour of reforming drug policy recently, but it's just too political, no Government is ever going to do the sensible thing. So for the appearance of not being soft on crime, we continue to fail generation after generation. It would at least help if the Police stopped bothering about petty possession and concentrated on the supply, but that doesn't provide the stats.

The OP question reminded me of Bill Hicks' views on the subject...it's the untaxed drugs, produced in poverty stricken countries that continue to be illegal regardless of whether they do more or less harm than legal drugs like. The Ask Frank adverts that were on recently are also so far off the mark it's unreal.

Anyway I believe all drug use shold be de-criminalised and cannabis should not only be legalised...it should be mandatory :D . Think about cannabis itself for a minute. The number of people who use it and risk a criminal record as a result is massive, probably on a par with the number who use alcohol. Cannabis is less harmful than alcohol, both in terms of long-term and short-term use, and the other effects of alcohol are wide and varied. So why not legalise cannabis, regulate and tax it in the same way as alcohol? It will at least help us get out of this recession we are in and is a lower risk in terms of health and the cost to the NHS, lower risk in terms of crime as those who make money out of cannabis tend to put that money into other more serious illegal ventures. In addition, the smoke would be better as it would be regulated and given a strength/proof rating in the same way as alcohol and that in turn would make it an even safer drug to use. I used to like a wee smoke to chill out in the comfort of my own home (and admittedly elsewhere at times), but due to the career I am about to enter I had to knock it on the head...which was quite easy considering I had been smoking it for nigh on 15 years, thus blowing the addictive argument out the water in my case at least. A drinker who has been 'on it' for 15 years would find it very difficult to give it up. Also, I will most likely be working with colleagues who go home, have a few drinks to relax and go to the pub on a Friday to bring in the weekend...that's fine as far as society is concerned. But how do you think society would react if a social worker diclosed that he/she had a few joints at night to relax but hardly touched alcohol (except on nights out and aways days)? I bet all the drinkers would be up in arms about it.

As for other illegal drugs, there are some highly addictive drugs out there that can seriously damage your health with excess use (one could argue almost as damaging as the legalised and taxed drugs) and a lot of people have went down a slippery slope due to them. As a society we have paid hand over fist because of addicts. NHS and prison, plus all the costs that come with it, provide short-term fixes but no-one seems to be brave enough to accept the long-term solution. In the USA I believe there are clinics were addicts can go to get the drugs they need. This reduces crime, reduces the risk of overdose, reduces the health costs (I know, the health service over there is different). Part of the criteria for getting on one of those programs is that the addict works with the staff to get over their addiction, the level of drug being given is reduced and if a 'patient' is found to have more drugs in their system than they should have then appropriate steps are taken (not quite sure what they are tho). I would like to see something like this in Scotland because in addition to tackling our drink problem and general health of our society we should also be looking for a different approach to dealing with drugs and those addicted to them...shunning addicts is too easy and doesn't get close to solving the problems that drugs bring to our society.

This is something that is difficult to express in text though so I hope my points are clear.

The OP question reminded me of Bill Hicks' views on the subject...it's the untaxed drugs, produced in poverty stricken countries that continue to be illegal regardless of whether they do more or less harm than legal drugs like. The Ask Frank adverts that were on recently are also so far off the mark it's unreal.

Anyway I believe all drug use shold be de-criminalised and cannabis should not only be legalised...it should be mandatory :D . Think about cannabis itself for a minute. The number of people who use it and risk a criminal record as a result is massive, probably on a par with the number who use alcohol. Cannabis is less harmful than alcohol, both in terms of long-term and short-term use, and the other effects of alcohol are wide and varied. So why not legalise cannabis, regulate and tax it in the same way as alcohol? It will at least help us get out of this recession we are in and is a lower risk in terms of health and the cost to the NHS, lower risk in terms of crime as those who make money out of cannabis tend to put that money into other more serious illegal ventures. In addition, the smoke would be better as it would be regulated and given a strength/proof rating in the same way as alcohol and that in turn would make it an even safer drug to use. I used to like a wee smoke to chill out in the comfort of my own home (and admittedly elsewhere at times), but due to the career I am about to enter I had to knock it on the head...which was quite easy considering I had been smoking it for nigh on 15 years, thus blowing the addictive argument out the water in my case at least. A drinker who has been 'on it' for 15 years would find it very difficult to give it up. Also, I will most likely be working with colleagues who go home, have a few drinks to relax and go to the pub on a Friday to bring in the weekend...that's fine as far as society is concerned. But how do you think society would react if a social worker diclosed that he/she had a few joints at night to relax but hardly touched alcohol (except on nights out and aways days)? I bet all the drinkers would be up in arms about it.

As for other illegal drugs, there are some highly addictive drugs out there that can seriously damage your health with excess use (one could argue almost as damaging as the legalised and taxed drugs) and a lot of people have went down a slippery slope due to them. As a society we have paid hand over fist because of addicts. NHS and prison, plus all the costs that come with it, provide short-term fixes but no-one seems to be brave enough to accept the long-term solution. In the USA I believe there are clinics were addicts can go to get the drugs they need. This reduces crime, reduces the risk of overdose, reduces the health costs (I know, the health service over there is different). Part of the criteria for getting on one of those programs is that the addict works with the staff to get over their addiction, the level of drug being given is reduced and if a 'patient' is found to have more drugs in their system than they should have then appropriate steps are taken (not quite sure what they are tho). I would like to see something like this in Scotland because in addition to tackling our drink problem and general health of our society we should also be looking for a different approach to dealing with drugs and those addicted to them...shunning addicts is too easy and doesn't get close to solving the problems that drugs bring to our society.

This is something that is difficult to express in text though so I hope my points are clear.

Some excellent points there.

The highlighted part reminds me of a behavioural intervention scheme that got used to treat people who were compulsive liars. They kept a note of every time they lied, and turned up at the clinic every week to see the therapist and present the week's results. If there was a reduction in the number of lies they'd told since last week they got a monetary reward. Apparently it was an amazingly effective treatment.

Some excellent points there.

The highlighted part reminds me of a behavioural intervention scheme that got used to treat people who were compulsive liars. They kept a note of every time they lied, and turned up at the clinic every week to see the therapist and present the week's results. If there was a reduction in the number of lies they'd told since last week they got a monetary reward. Apparently it was an amazingly effective treatment.

now why would they say that then :rolleyes:

and how the hell would you know if they "had lied" or not.

they used to do this in the army basket weaving course where those with a drink problem were given money to go down town to get some *shopping* in the hope they wouldnt drink, if they did drink the amount of money would be reduced.

the guys soon realised that they could drink for about 3 day solid then stay off the drink (they stocked up on carry outs for the tree days) till the money went back up then start again, some came back worse than they left

Anyway I believe all drug use shold be de-criminalised and cannabis should not only be legalised...it should be mandatory :D . Think about cannabis itself for a minute. The number of people who use it and risk a criminal record as a result is massive, probably on a par with the number who use alcohol. Cannabis is less harmful than alcohol, both in terms of long-term and short-term use, and the other effects of alcohol are wide and varied. So why not legalise cannabis, regulate and tax it in the same way as alcohol? It will at least help us get out of this recession we are in and is a lower risk in terms of health and the cost to the NHS,

Fear leads to Anger

Anger leads to Stress

Stress leads to Doobies

Doobies leads to Munchies

Munchies leads to Obesity

Obesity leads to more pressure on NHS