I Choose The Jags!

bigbud23

G'Day gents!

Just dropping a line to say hey from a fresh to Scotland Aussie who due to close proximity to Firhill and a soft spot for the perennial underdog I've chosen Thistle as my team!!! Yay!!

Now I'm first to admit I'm not a big football fan but just a fan of live sport.

I relate to the colour combo and Puma gear as my Aussie rules team Hawthorn wears a similar unusual mix of colours and is also kitted out by Puma. Instead of the Jags yellow and red the Hawks manage to rock brown and gold somehow as hard as that sounds!!

We are here indefinitely and I'm dead keen to make it to a bunch of Thistle games when the new season begins and to see how you guys cheer on the team. Surely with a small arena the atmosphere gets electric! Anyhow who's the man for Partick player wise and who's the big rival etc. etc. Any game day info you guys can give me would be super appreciated.....

Cheers and go Jags!!

And go you Hawkas!!! Smash the Scum!!

Welcome to the fold, Bud!

You don't know how right you are with the electric atmosphere comment :unsure:

As for top player, probably our goalie Scott Fox who picked up so many player of the year awards after turning our season round. More optimistically our striker Kris Doolan ended the season as the leagues equal top scorer on 15 goals. Most fans look forward to seeing Chris Erskine, a player so unpredictable he doesn't even know what he's going to do next - usually a mazy run round a few players culminating in tripping over the ball.

We don't really seem to have too many rivals these days, the league structure sees us play every team so many times we get bored. We don't really like Falkirk, Dundee or Morton for various reasons I'm sure others will get into. Then obviously the Old Firm but we're completely off their radar.

Welcome to the fold, Bud!

You don't know how right you are with the electric atmosphere comment :unsure:

As for top player, probably our goalie Scott Fox who picked up so many player of the year awards after turning our season round. More optimistically our striker Kris Doolan ended the season as the leagues equal top scorer on 15 goals. Most fans look forward to seeing Chris Erskine, a player so unpredictable he doesn't even know what he's going to do next - usually a mazy run round a few players culminating in tripping over the ball.

We don't really seem to have too many rivals these days, the league structure sees us play every team so many times we get bored. We don't really like Falkirk, Dundee or Morton for various reasons I'm sure others will get into. Then obviously the Old Firm but we're completely off their radar.

Welcome to the land of Jaggyism, the promissed land where only the good will discover.

Saddly atmosphere and Firhill are not words you normally find in the same sentence. For the last few years we have not been served up the sort of entertainment that is conducive to an electric atmosphere. That said, we have a new manager who appears to favour a more attacking style and some exciting young players who are going to have to quickly learn to cope with first team action. There is a general air of optimism around he club and if we can make a good start to the season then perhaps the long lost disciples may return

Twinney mentioned Fox, Doolan and Erskine. I would add David Rowson to the list. Rowser may be in the twilight of his career and may be a connoisseur's player, but he always gives 110% and rarely has a bad game. I'll also mention Tommy Stewart who we signed at the tail end of last season and looks to have goals in his boots. Playing with Dools (Doolan) upfront I think there is genuine optimism that we have 2 strikers who can find the net on a regular basis.

The real rivals are Clyde, Airdrie, Rangers and Celtic, but as they are all in different leagues there is not much chance of meeting any of them next season. Other than that, there are few teams that the true Jag likes, so pick any of 41 as our rivals :)

You have become a disciple at just the right time and I hope your presence brings that bit of luck that can make the difference to Glasgow's finest.

G'Day gents!

Just dropping a line to say hey from a fresh to Scotland Aussie who due to close proximity to Firhill and a soft spot for the perennial underdog I've chosen Thistle as my team!!! Yay!!

Now I'm first to admit I'm not a big football fan but just a fan of live sport.

I relate to the colour combo and Puma gear as my Aussie rules team Hawthorn wears a similar unusual mix of colours and is also kitted out by Puma. Instead of the Jags yellow and red the Hawks manage to rock brown and gold somehow as hard as that sounds!!

We are here indefinitely and I'm dead keen to make it to a bunch of Thistle games when the new season begins and to see how you guys cheer on the team. Surely with a small arena the atmosphere gets electric! Anyhow who's the man for Partick player wise and who's the big rival etc. etc. Any game day info you guys can give me would be super appreciated.....

Cheers and go Jags!!

And go you Hawkas!!! Smash the Scum!!

Living in Melbourne I'm really envious that you're going to get to Firhill and I'm not. When I read about the colours I first thought that you'd be an adelaide crows or gold coast suns supporter. The closest in colours you'll get to would be the Glasgow High School fp RFC (I don't know if they're still around) because they play(ed) in gold and brown hoops. But that's rugby.

The Jags have had a few Aussies playing for them, most recently ex Melbourne Victory player Simon Storey.

Enjoy your stay watching real football. :thumbsup2:

Good on you, Big Bud for choosing the Jags - though I can't, for the life of me, understand why anyone would want to swap God's Own Country for Firhill! But welcome on board to a shipload of daydreamers, football-romantics, and fiercely independant free-thinkers. Don Quixote may have picked a fight with a windmill but we have far more imagination than that! "Field of Dreams?" - my fat, hairy arse!

You've made a good choice. You won't forget it.