Sky Broadband

manchesterjag

• Members

I use the full Sky package Pay an extra £10 a month for free calls 24/7. I'm quite happy with it. Check up what sort of download speeds you can expect to get in comparison with BT first though. If speed is more important than price, you may be better sticking with BT. But if the speed is the same or you don't mind too much of a difference, I'd go with Sky especially if you can get a good deal from them.

I use the full Sky package Pay an extra £10 a month for free calls 24/7. I'm quite happy with it. Check up what sort of download speeds you can expect to get in comparison with BT first though. If speed is more important than price, you may be better sticking with BT. But if the speed is the same or you don't mind too much of a difference, I'd go with Sky especially if you can get a good deal from them.

Thanks for your help willjag

My girlfriend's mum switched to Sky maybe a year ago, I can't remember if it was from BT or from virgin. As they wanted to keep the same number, there were quite a few problems they hit that meant they had to go without internet for a couple of months and all along they were given little/contradictory information regarding the delay. Sorry I can't go into more detail just now, but if you want more detail on the story then I'd be able to check with her.

Since the broadband has been up it's been great.

First of all check to ensure you're in a live Sky broadband area. If so then the broadband's only £7.50 a month versus minimum £17 a month with BT, line rental is £12.25 versus BT's £14.60 and unlimited UK, North Amearican, European, New Zealand and Australian call are a snip at £5 (not £10 as quoted earlier) a month. Otherwise evening (from 7pm) and weekend UK calls are free!

I love the new Sky Go feature that's a freebie. Anywhere in the UK and Ireland I can watch my sports and general entertainment on my laptop (which is great as I have to travel frquently on business and hotel freeview is usually shit.

Basically the savings you'll make by switching will pay for your telly package (either the Entertainment or Entertainment Plus packs).

It's right that it takes a little longer to switch if you're looking to keep your same number. Me, I took the opportunity to get a new number and have a clearout of the people and orginizations that I didn't want to keep in touch with. The rest I emailed my new number to. So far working a treat, no more (fingers crossed "Had an accident in the past 3 years....." "Mis-sold PPI....." yawn calls.

Good luck whatever you decide.

• Members

line rental is £12.25 versus BT's £14.60 and unlimited UK, North Amearican, European, New Zealand and Australian call are a snip at £5 (not £10 as quoted earlier) a month.

Yeah you're right. It is £5 a month, but it's for unlimited calls 24/7 not just evening and weekend. (That's what I pay anyway!)

• Members

Thanks everybody. Food for thought. I wonder if it is possible to keep my BT email address if I switch? BTW anythime +looks a good feature

I changed from BT to Sky when I swapped over. To give you an idea of how long ago it was, i told BT I would be reverting to dialup in order to keep my BT address. Just phased it out through time and decided to use a Gmail address & a hotmail address so that I wouldn't be dependent on staying with any one particular provider because of an email address.