Football Crowds

scotty

I see the controversies over the size of attendances have started already.

I wasn't there yesterday so can't comment, but there have been reports which throw doubt on the official figure of 693 at Forfar yesterday.

Also the Kilmarnock and Dundee fans are disputing the numbers at that match.

Is there something going on, or are football fans just p*ss poor at judging numbers?

I always try and guess how many people are there by looking around, but I usually get it wrong. However, while I can't comment on the Kilmarnock vs Dundee match, 693 sounds about right for our match. I wasn't there, but Forfar are a small club and they're not exactly local for us, so there probably won't have been that many there.

The official attendance at Alloa last week for instance, looked to be a good few hundred light on what was there.

This is an interesting analysis of SPL attendances yestrday. Arguments could be made as opening day of season usually has healthier than average sized crowds, but on a like for like basis, it would seem that the 'loss' of Deadco and the 'win' for sporting integrity at the very least will result in SPL clubs being no worse off, and fears of 'scottish football armageddon' (copyright neil doncaster) without Deadco in SPL are way wide of the mark.

On a connected note, this analysis from same blogger on what initial 'loss' of Deadco from SPL is only £142k for St Johnstone this coming season - but he doesn't take into account the savings on policing of these 2 games. Anyway, it means even without this, St J only need an increase of lesss than 400 per game to completely wipe out any such projected loss. Again, 'scottish football armageddon' without Deadco shot out the water.