Paulo Di Cairneyo

Jaggernaut

Brilliant player for us last season. PotY by a country mile. Now doing the biz at the Hibees; scoring goals, got them a (dubious) penalty last weekend, contributing towards them reaching 2nd spot in the SPL...

And yet.... is he missed in the current Thistle side? Would he add something that we are lacking at present? From my perspective it's not obvious that we're missing him. Anybody disagree?

We were far too reliant on Cairney at points last season with everyone looking to give him the ball and hope he did something with it. He seems to be doing well at Hibs and we're doing quite alright without him.

Credit must go to Erskine and Welsh for stepping up and of course Lawless for taking his place in the team and slotting in and playing well immediately.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

We were far too reliant on Cairney at points last season with everyone looking to give him the ball and hope he did something with it. He seems to be doing well at Hibs and we're doing quite alright without him.

Credit must go to Erskine and Welsh for stepping up and of course Lawless for taking his place in the team and slotting in and playing well immediately.

I would agree with that. At times last season it was actually embarrassing the extent to which absolutely everything had to go through Cairney. There were ample opportunities to mount a quick attack, but players would stop dead just so that they could pass the ball to Cairney. Haven't yet seen the team this year, but I don't get the impression that there's the same reliance on a single player.

Brilliant player for us last season. PotY by a country mile. Now doing the biz at the Hibees; scoring goals, got them a (dubious) penalty last weekend, contributing towards them reaching 2nd spot in the SPL...

And yet.... is he missed in the current Thistle side? Would he add something that we are lacking at present? From my perspective it's not obvious that we're missing him. Anybody disagree?

Not missing him. Don't mean he wouldn't be a useful player for us but other players have stepped up to the mark and we look like a much better team now.

BTW that was a clear penalty, nothing dodgy at all. The reply from the camera behind the goal clearly showed the defender caught his leg/ankle.

Not missing him. Don't mean he wouldn't be a useful player for us but other players have stepped up to the mark and we look like a much better team now.

BTW that was a clear penalty, nothing dodgy at all. The reply from the camera behind the goal clearly showed the defender caught his leg/ankle.

I'll take your word on it for the penalty. I didn't see it; just read about the "controversy".

I'll take your word on it for the penalty. I didn't see it; just read about the "controversy".

The fact that Kenny Shiels is the one that thinks it wasn't a penalty should tell you everything you need to know. He's without doubt the most odious little man in Scottish football just now. TV pictures show clearly that Cairney was fouled yet he's still moaning about it.

The fact that Kenny Shiels is the one that thinks it wasn't a penalty should tell you everything you need to know. He's without doubt the most odious little man in Scottish football just now. TV pictures show clearly that Cairney was fouled yet he's still moaning about it.

He's a twat. But Charles Green outdoes him.

I don't think we've found a direct replacement for Cairney, but we haven't missed him because several players have stepped up to fill his role. Erskine, Lawless, Welsh and even Doolan have taken his place, and the squad is better for that.

Still, good to see him doing well at Hibs, it says a lot about his talent that he's instantly become a big player for an SPL team after being in the first division. Could easily see him getting a role in England and even the Scotland squad.