Smashing The Coaltion

The Devil's Point

I saw Charles Kennedy on Question Time on Thursday and it really hit home to me just how good a politician he is. I wouldn't say I agree with his politics - I actually disagree with quite a lot of what he has to say - but purely as a statesman he is quite clearly streets ahead of anyone currently sat alongside the Tories on the front bench at Westminster.

Kennedy's sidelining by the Lib Dems just highlights how superficial and vapid UK politics has become. 'Who are the Great British electorate more likely to vote for', the Lib Dems no doubt asked themselves, 'a baw-faced (ex?) alcoholic ginger jock, or a boyish telgenic Blair-clone with a attractive foreign wife'.

I saw Charles Kennedy on Question Time on Thursday and it really hit home to me just how good a politician he is. I wouldn't say I agree with his politics - I actually disagree with quite a lot of what he has to say - but purely as a statesman he is quite clearly streets ahead of anyone currently sat alongside the Tories on the front bench at Westminster.

Kennedy's sidelining by the Lib Dems just highlights how superficial and vapid UK politics has become. 'Who are the Great British electorate more likely to vote for', the Lib Dems no doubt asked themselves, 'a baw-faced (ex?) alcoholic ginger jock, or a boyish telgenic Blair-clone with a attractive foreign wife'.

It just symptomatic of modern British(and Scottish) politics, where image apparently wins out over substance. In reality, the responsibility lies with the great British(or Scottish) people since if we demanded en mass more substance and god forbid honesty from our politicians we might get it. Instead, we are happy to read comic books instead of newspapers and many of us appear ready to imbibe the pseudo-Hollywood fantasy world produced by reality TV etc. The sad reality is that unless the public decides that they simply can't tolerate any more of this nonsense, nothing will change. In a political moonscape of cardboard cut outs, the electoral appeal of the so called UKIP is understandable, if not forgivable.