Rail Disruption

thomas

I was caught right in the middle of this. It took me about an hour to get from Glasgow Central to Anniesland this evening. <_<

After being turfed off the train at Anderston I attempted to circumvent the problem by catching another train at Charing Cross. I thought the other line might have been unaffected but I hadn't realised where the train had broken down.

It is amazing how much chaos just one broken down train can cause. This all comes after yesterday's points failure. Of course, I could comfortably write what I know about driving trains on the back of a postage stamp, but it just amazes me.

I was caught right in the middle of this. It took me about an hour to get from Glasgow Central to Anniesland this evening. <_<

After being turfed off the train at Anderston I attempted to circumvent the problem by catching another train at Charing Cross. I thought the other line might have been unaffected but I hadn't realised where the train had broken down.

It is amazing how much chaos just one broken down train can cause. This all comes after yesterday's points failure. Of course, I could comfortably write what I know about driving trains on the back of a postage stamp, but it just amazes me.

If youre stuck for half an hour and on a weekly or a normal day ticket you can get 50% of the leg of the journey back, if it was over an hour u can get 100% back....pick up a form at a manned station

If you have a monthly or greater season ticket, you get 20% back of the leg of the journey

Not 100% sure, but from what i heard the failed train was in a neutral section at finneston jn, which is as it sounds, no power to the train, these are all over the network and 90% of the time you dont really know your going through one.

Could they not just give it a wee push with another train to a non-neutral area....... about 5 yards on and let it drive away quite happy.

This never would happen on the North Western Railway under the Fat Controllers watchful gaze, unless Percy had been up to his old tricks

I know they sent another train in to assist, but im not sure how it works with the electrics and neutral zones, i work diesels so wed get terminated, at the nearest station to de train passengers then sent in to tie up and recover the failed train....so far ive never been involved in a failure either way (probably will at some stage)

these are all over the network and 90% of the time you dont really know your going through one.

..except for the bloody big "crump" noise as the switches release and re-engage if you're in the car with the overhead pickup. :)

I would guess, also, that the driver will get a bollocking for stopping in a neutral zone. :frantic:

PS Not a good few days for JockRail with further disruption today allocated to "overhead line problems at Drumgelloch".

These Airdrie buggers will knick anything,,,,,

If youre stuck for half an hour and on a weekly or a normal day ticket you can get 50% of the leg of the journey back, if it was over an hour u can get 100% back....pick up a form at a manned station

If you have a monthly or greater season ticket, you get 20% back of the leg of the journey

Thanks Thomas, I will look into that.

I would guess, also, that the driver will get a bollocking for stopping in a neutral zone. :frantic:

If it was a 320 or a 318, like 156s and 158s when the pass comm is pulled the train automatically stops, if it was a 334 then the driver can talk to the person activating the pass comm as with the 170s

A "Pass Comm"? Is that what we oldies would call the communication cord? :happy2:

Speaking of oldies.....

as I understand it, my concession card gets me a 10 mile journey for £1:30 flat fare.

Does that mean 10 miles only from my "home" station or can I re-book 10 miles away for the next 10 at £1:30?

I.e. if I want to go Glasgow - Edinburgh

do I just have to buy the full priced day return or is there a way of getting a concession price for us over 60s? :secret:

Just thought I'd ask, Thomas, you being in the trade and all that.

A "Pass Comm"? Is that what we oldies would call the communication cord? :happy2:

Speaking of oldies.....

as I understand it, my concession card gets me a 10 mile journey for £1:30 flat fare.

Does that mean 10 miles only from my "home" station or can I re-book 10 miles away for the next 10 at £1:30?

I.e. if I want to go Glasgow - Edinburgh

do I just have to buy the full priced day return or is there a way of getting a concession price for us over 60s? :secret:

Just thought I'd ask, Thomas, you being in the trade and all that.

You can....its 10mile from where you board, but just ask for another on the train after that expires....spt hate us selling split tickets...but who cares if it saves money