Why A Jags Fan?

Chicob

Was Born in Maryhill (Stair Street) then moved to Partick but can not thank my lifelong Jags fan Granda enough for lifting me over turnstiles in the 70's and letting me run round the shed every week, to the promotion party of 2000-2001, then taking my three kids to games who still come along now and even for a wee drink afterwards to what has been the one of the most satisfying years after where we came back from.

Edited by kily1971

I was born over the other side of Ruchill park in Shannon Street. My dad and all his side of the family were jags supporters. One of the first games I can remember seeing the jags was the 8-1 cup thrashing from Celtic at Parkhead in the late 60's. can't remember exact year but I was 6 or 7 at the time. I think it was 5-0 at ht when my dad reckoned it was a good time to make a hasty exit. It never put me off supporting the mighty jags.

My Dad and all his side of the family were die-hard Rangers fans. Well me and my old man never got on and I desperately wanted to be the exact opposite of everything he was and everything he stood for. To p*ss him right off I declared myself a Celtic fan and promptly pinned a picture of Danny McGrain on my bedroom wall. He went apesh*t! The picture was unceremoniously ripped down. I realised that being a Celtic fan was a rebellion too far. Not wanting to give up I had to think of an alternative. I realised that we lived about halfway between Kilbowie and Firhill, so Thistle being higher up the league tables than Clydebank at the time, I asked my Mum to take me to a Thistle match. My old man didn't seem too upset about having a black sheep in the family. Obviously a Jags fan he could just about tolerate in the house. Anyway, my Mum sensing an opportunity for a wee attack on my Dad promptly took me to the match the following weekend. I was hooked and have never looked back. So the only thing I have to be grateful to the old man for was that if he hadn't been such a complete and utter w*nker I'd have been a Rangers fan.

• Like 1

My parents were originally from Maryhill and Jags fans. Then it's just natural progression!

Mine were from the Hebrides, but met in a house in Cromwell Street and married in Gardner Street. Have the vaguest of memories of being taken to Firhill in 1939, but the family moved back to the Highlands, so apart from occasional visits to an aunt in Shakespeare Street it was 1953 before I had the opportunity to visit Firhill regularly.. First season ticket 1969, renewed every year since.. ( Incidentally, the demands of TV mean that like others I will have to miss quite a number of games this season. Football should be on a Saturday at 3pm, the hallowed hour!)

• Like 2

Grandfaither was a jag..faither was a jag from Ruchill...and it was passed on to me although when i was about 6 or 7 i toyed with the idea of being a H*n as my brother had fallen away to the dark side...but thankfully i decided to pick the sensible option and 28 years on I am still as passionate about the jags as Ive ever been.

Been trying my best over the years to get my wee boy into it..but is still not convinced too many tim/H*n uncles, cousins etc etc...and over where we stay jags fans are as rare as sh itting rocking horses!.....i will not give up though!

My father was a rangers fan til he was 18 but thankfully decided he hated the bigotry he was witnessing and stopped going to football. When i came along he made a conscious decision to keep me away from the OF and took me to firhill. This continued until I was totally sold then he stopped going as his mission was accomplished.I continued going by myself throughout my teens and adulthood as most of my mates were Celtic fans... I am forever indebted to my da for making that decision and just wondered how others got the jags in their blood?

Very similar to my experience. I'm from a Rangers supporting family and was infected at a young age. Thankfully, my Dad and his friend took me to Firhill when I was 10. I loved the different atmosphere and switched immediately. Then I went to Bishy High where Frank Coulston was my PE teacher. I was the only Jags fan in my class, possibly the whole year (all Rangers fans). The week after we won the League Cup was special. Frank knew that I was only Jag and gave me a personal account of the victory celebrations.

Edited by kni

I was born over the other side of Ruchill park in Shannon Street. My dad and all his side of the family were jags supporters. One of the first games I can remember seeing the jags was the 8-1 cup thrashing from Celtic at Parkhead in the late 60's. can't remember exact year but I was 6 or 7 at the time. I think it was 5-0 at ht when my dad reckoned it was a good time to make a hasty exit. It never put me off supporting the mighty jags.

I remember this game being on Scotsport. My Dad got me out of bed to watch it and I went back to bed greetin' cos I knew I would take pelters the next day in school. (I was a pupil by the way not a teacher). I'm sure this was a Scottish Cup replay where Thistle had came back from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 at Firhill in the first game.

May 15, 1964, Dad took me to Firhill for the first time - i was 8. Thistle 7 Thirds 2 in the Summer Cup. Not sure if he was a Jags fan before that or just wanted me to stay away from the evil twins (although he did always take me into town to watch the bigots parade until I was old enough to know better). He did take me regularly until I was deemed old enough to go with my pals in 1967. Quite a few Jags fans at Vicky Drive, including Rab who I still meet up with when I come up. Dad came along two or three times a season and the best memory of time with Dad was 23 October 1971 - only memory I have of actually hugging my dad as an "adult".

That's correct chicob, 3-0 down, jimmy bone scored a last minute equaliser in the first game at firhill to take it to a replay and the forementioned doing. I think our solitary goal in the 8-1 pumping was an own goal too. Got to think now that it was 1968 ?

I'm thinking that's right - 1968/69 season. Bone made his Thistle debut in '68.

My crowning moment was the league cup final October 71. Dad took me to it on a Celtic supporters bus where we got picked up at Renfrew cross. His mates were members of the bus. I remember all the adults were givin me 10p's and patting me on the head humouring me etc, singing their heads off obviously assuming it was going to be a canter for them.

On the return journey you could hear a pin drop, I had my jags scarf hanging out the window and the biggest smile imagineable but party pooper dad ordered me to get the scarf back inside the bus as he didn't think it would go down too well with the natives !

I grew up in the village of Carloway in Lewis in the 60`s and twin brothers whose mum came from the village and who had themselves played for the local team were making a name for themselves as professional footballers at that time. One was Ronnie McKinnon then of Rangers - the other was none other than Donnie - a true Thistle legend! You can guess who most villagers supported but (proud as I am of Ronnie representing our village at Wembley `67 !) I contacted Thistle-itis then and have happily suffered from the condition ever since. :)

• Like 1