Scotland Squad

Mr Bunny

Goalkeepers: Cammy Bell (Rangers), Matt Gilks (Blackpool), David Marshall (Cardiff City), Allan McGregor (Hull City).

Defenders: Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town), Gary Caldwell (Wigan Athletic), Craig Forsyth (Derby County), Gordon Greer (Brighton and Hove Albion), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Alan Hutton (Aston Villa), Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic), Andrew Robertson (Dundee United), Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)

Midfielders: Ikechi Anya (Watford), Barry Bannan (Crystal Palace), George Boyd (Hull City), Scott Brown (Celtic), Craig Bryson (Derby County), Chris Burke (Birmingham City), Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), James McArthur (Wigan Athletic), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion).

Forwards: Leigh Griffiths (Celtic), Shaun Maloney (Wigan Athletic), Chris Martin (Derby County), Ross McCormack (Leeds United), Steven Naismith (Everton).

The two new Derby guys are a bit of a surprise but I suppose worth trying out in a friendly to see if they can step up.

Why do we need 4 keepers? Don't we usually have only 3? If he really wants to give Bell a game then drop someone who's already shown what he can do. Then we could try out another outfield player.

Edited by Mr Bunny

• Members

The 3 Derby lads could be playing Premiership football next season. Trounced Brighton in the play-off semis. Anytime I've watched the Football League show this season, Bryson has looked good and I wondered if he'd get a call up.

No Snodgrass? I think he's a top top player, probably one of our best. Looking over that team it really would be a miracle if we qualify for anything in the next four years.

EDIT: only ones of proper international standard in my opinion are Marshall, McGregor, Mulgrew, Brown, Fletcher (if fit), Dorrans (when on form). Decent back up in the rest of the players but no stand outs - Naismith does a job and I'm sure Griffiths could score.

Edited by read'n'yell

That's a very large squad, think that's down to wanting to get most players in with a shout for the qualifiers together. Missing a few top players: Snodgrass, Adam and S Fletcher in particular, but for an end of season international I'm glad some others are being given a chance.

Cammy bell? A league one keeper? None of the premiership or championship keepers are better than him???

And I didn't know that the guy from Coldplay was Scottish!

I don't think he's first choice, or even second. I suspect David Marshall will play.

Thought I'd add this here rather than start a new thread ... good news at youth levels at least

Wright inspires Scotland to Germany success

Yes, it is good news. Long time since young Scotland teams made any impact. Probably the Dorrans era. And not many of them really made it big:

http://bornoffside.net/2012/04/whatever-happened-to-the-2006-scotland-u19-squad/

Here's hoping for better!

@David Stevenson

There were some very good players in that squad but some never developed beyond what they were then and some had bad luck (like the Celtic lad with the injuries).

Also there's a couple of stories in there that show how some clubs would rather buy an average foreigner than take the risk on a promising young player.

I think too that that group of players were not backed up by other youth groups developing as well so that they were a one-off. You can't expect a whole squad of players to go on to be top players, you need a stream of potential coming through so the one or two who make it are happening every year or so.

Also note that two of the players who made it came from Livingston, a small team who had a good youth policy. In the past we've had small bursts of good young players when there was a financial hit on the SPL and the bigger teams were forced to go for youth. Then when things recovered they went back to buying duff foreigners again.

After the really big disasters of the last couple of years (Rangers, Hearts, Dunfermline in crisis) it seems a few top clubs are now realising they should try running their clubs in a financially sound manner and there are signs of more clubs (including ourselves) investing more in youth.

Whether that will be sustained I don't know. If it is I can see a bright future a few years down the line, if not then any good young players that develop to play for bigger clubs will end up just being a flash in the pan. (Archaic metaphor when you think of it).

Edited by Mr Bunny

Yes, it is good news. Long time since young Scotland teams made any impact. Probably the Dorrans era. And not many of them really made it big:

http://bornoffside.n...land-u19-squad/

Here's hoping for better!

Mark Wotte is the guy running the youth game for the SFA and paid very good money for doing so.

He wants it all regionalised with Elite schools attached to Regional Academies.

Falkirk, Stenny (Stirling Albion and Alloa can join it) have already merged to become Forth Valley with the Fife region clubs going next) Dunfermline, Raith and Cowdenbeath

He also says to judge his teams in 2020 as this will be when the first age group that went into the Elite schools come through (they are U14's moving to 15's next season)

He will however take the credit for any good results going like the one's the boys got against Germany but is quick to distance himself from any bad results saying it's not his group of players.

Hopefully it makes the Scottish game better but i have my doubts and either way Mark Wotte will be long gone by the time any of us find this out.

ThistleWeir are one of the few clubs who could remain independent due to the finances they have but if the SFA had their way they would like them merged also with other clubs in the future.

Good result for the boys against Germany after a defeat a few days earlier against Portugal.