Flower Of Scotland

allyo

I see there's talk of the anthem being "boycotted" by the tartan army at the next games.

I personally feel that the song, as a national anthem, now has to be put on the shelf. Rousing maybe, but to be honest I've always found it a bit embarrassing, that we should have an anthem that blatantly harks back to medieval battles and pitches us against our nearest neighbour. I hate to say this (as someone who has sang it, and probably would again) but is it really, honestly that much more valid than1690 and the Boyne?

But now in particular, the country has been given the opportunity to "be the nation again", and it has said "no thanks". Can it really now be sung with any passion, without looking a bit pathetic? Maybe "Cap in Hand" by the Proclaimers ("we boast, then we cower") would be more appropriate. Seriously, I think we have to grow up and move on.

What do you think?

I'm surprised that SNP have not promoted "Scots Wha Have" as an alternative to "Flower of Scotland". The lyrics were written by Robert Burns and with a faster tempo (as in Max Bruch's Scottish Fantasy), it has a richer heritage.

Scotland The Brave was used as our national anthem at the 1980s World Cups. The lyrics were written by Cliff Hanley in the 1950s and IMHO it's a bit bland.

The thing about national anthems is that they must cite, to some extent, the history of the nation. And the most famous bits of history that we have, I would suggest, are Bannockburn and Culloden. And we don't want to mention Culloden.

However, the aspirational "be a nation again" bit does look a bit pants today, but probably won't in 5-10-15 years.

So, I guess FoS will always be "relevant".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

FoS is an irrelevant, parochial dirge which, alongside GSTQ, makes me aspire to be reincarnated as a national of a country with a decent national anthem.

Scotland The Brave has a tartan shortbread image, Scots Wha Hae has exactly the same problems as FoS, whilst more promising, upbeat songs such as Caledonia and For These Are My Mountains are relevant only to those who've buggered off to live elsewhere.

Personally, I'd be up for nicking the French or Italian tune and shoving some pro-Scottish lyrics, extolling our nation's virtues on top of it.

Edited by Norman
  • Like 1

Aside from the question mark over the increasingly dated nature of the lyrics, I find the tune terrible. It's pretty down-beat and I don't find it rousing at all.

Le Marseillaise, now THAT is an up-beat rousing anthem and I don't have the faintest idea what they are singing about but it's great!

I think we should have Shang-a-lang by the Bay City Rollers belted out before Scotland matches...

Le Marseillaise, now THAT is an up-beat rousing anthem and I don't have the faintest idea what they are singing about but it's great

Pretty much killing all foreigners and using their 'impure blood' to irrigate crops.

Could be construed as slightly xenophobic, but I'd prefer it to telling someone to go away and have a long, hard think about what they'd done.