Diving Graham - A Precedent Set?

jagfaelivi

Well now! There's a decision and St Johnstone have accepted the two match ban. Surely THIS has opened a completely new can of worms. If I were an ICT supporter I would be livid that cheating has cost my side a point and there is the little matter that,come the split, St J have two points they are not entitled to. Where might these points take them and what financial advantage might they gain?

Surely if the powers that be hope to stamp out cheating St J should be docked two points and ICT credited with one. When it is as clear cut as this let's have the ruling body showing teeth and balls!?

Now they've done this I'm sure there could be riots throughout the land in the future and I'm sure posters on here can think up scenarios where there might be hand-to- hand fighting if results are affected by downright dishonesty.

In some sports you never get to play again if you are caught cheating - golf is a classic example - and yet in football you can end up as player of the year if you indulge yourself looking for advantage by simulating. Think of Ronaldo and Suarez in the past.

Can't disagree here = would feel totally cheated if it was us. I do sometimes think that players get too quickly penalised during the game for "diving" but here the event has affected the outcome.

Rules state the result stands generally but look at Celtic - getting a Euro lifeline for the opposition playing an ineligible player who doesn't really influence the result.

The ability to rectify "cheating" must exist and be used so that the players are aware of the implications for their club.This could be docking a goal arising from a freekick/penalty awarded in such situations or even replaying the game with all costs borne by the gulity club.

These situations can remain a difficult call for match officials in the heat of game and in the absence of a video ref have to be policed by the authorities to ensure fair play is maintained

Now the problem is that nobody knows what would of happened if Graham hadn't dived and St. Johnstone hadn't scored as a result ? Saints might have scored anyway, so awarding points to ICT retrospectively isn't really an option. You could suggest deducting points from Saints, but any decent lawyer would argue that the club should not be punished for the misdemenour of the player, unless they specifically told him to dive. The only realistic option is therefore to punish the player, which is what they have done.

I'm not condoning what he did, just pointing out that the authorities are limited in what they can do.