Stuart Bannigan

simoncordiner

I think he's been poor for the last couple of games, but generally okay through the season. Still an important player.

Don't want to make too many excuses, but I thought the pitch was an important factor. For all that the hoofball is terrible to watch, all of our goals conceded in the last couple of games have come from when we've tried to play the ball from the back, so you can see the logic behind it.

But while we're playing the long ball game it means that the midfield is either bypassed or playing off scraps with no time or space. Trying to do that on a bumpy pitch can't be easy and I don't think it's coincidental that Bannigan and Osman have both had their worst games at the same time.

• Like 2

Yes the pitches are playing a factor in his passing, but he's lost his braveness on the ball. He just doesn't take any chance to pull players about. It's all gone so one dimensional in the middle of the park. I've got no complaints against Osman, he still wins a lot of balls, but he needs someone beside him who can then take the ball off him and play a good pass. Really frustrating.

Yes the pitches are playing a factor in his passing, but he's lost his braveness on the ball. He just doesn't take any chance to pull players about. It's all gone so one dimensional in the middle of the park. I've got no complaints against Osman, he still wins a lot of balls, but he needs someone beside him who can then take the ball off him and play a good pass. Really frustrating.

I agree re the braveness, he still tries to retain possession but he looks like he is struggling to find a threatening pass at times (hence "square" passes that fans in Scotland really hate), this is also due to the fact movement has been limited at times in areas where he used to direct the play, i.e. the forward left full-back position / higgy etc.

For me there is such a lack of consistency in our key players this yr & confidence is so fragile across them all - I can't think of anyone who has consistently contributed this season...we really miss a leader in the middle / other people on the park to help with the confidence of players, football is 20% ability, 80% belief / confidence.

Regressing at an alarming rate. I would be happy if he went to Dundee United. It'd mean he wasn't in our midfield.

Would love to see you pick the team, as I don't think we would have any current players in it, you really haven't a clue and just on here to have a dig at every single player and bore everyone to death !!!

For me the problem on saturday was whenever bannigan picked the ball up, there was absolutely nothing happening infront of him. Stevenson as a lone striker doesn't make enough runs looking to get in behind or drag their defenders around the pitch making space for others (not his fault as that isn't his type of game) so when banzo was on the ball the only real options for him are to go sideways (Unfortunately on saturday higgy and lawless were having poor games/being marked out the game) so its making him look negative.

That is why it is absolutely crucial we play stevo as the attacking midfielder, a link-up man between the midfielders and striker. Of banzo, fraser and osman, not one of them will regularly get beyond the ball, all three of them like to be behind the ball dictating the game, we dont need 3 guys like that in the middle of the park.

• Like 1

I personally don't rate him at all, as I said 5 minutes ago on another thread. Gives away plenty of fouls and picks up a lot of bookings. Loads of backwards and sideways passing in his game that leads to nothing. Hasn't chipped in with a goal in ages. Has a decent enough engine, but that doesn't offset for me which is a lack of ability and generally how physically lightweight he is. Hes a scrawny looking lad who is anything but a creative player. A wee guy like McDaid or Higgy or Lawless can get away with it because they play out wide and their small figure makes them tougher to tackle, Bannigan is supposed to be in the middle of the park winning and breaking things up and I don't see where he does.

I think people are smoking some funny shit if they think hes going to progress to bigger things than us. If he does leave, hes not going far before coming back down.

I personally don't rate him at all, as I said 5 minutes ago on another thread. Gives away plenty of fouls and picks up a lot of bookings. Loads of backwards and sideways passing in his game that leads to nothing. Hasn't chipped in with a goal in ages. Has a decent enough engine, but that doesn't offset for me which is a lack of ability and generally how physically lightweight he is. Hes a scrawny looking lad who is anything but a creative player. A wee guy like McDaid or Higgy or Lawless can get away with it because they play out wide and their small figure makes them tougher to tackle, Bannigan is supposed to be in the middle of the park winning and breaking things up and I don't see where he does.

I think people are smoking some funny shit if they think hes going to progress to bigger things than us. If he does leave, hes not going far before coming back down.

Did you watch us at any point in our championship winning season?

• Like 1

I don't think he isn't good enough at this level. He showed at times last season that he can cut at this level. He has just been horrendously off-form for large chunks of this season and last. At the moment I would have him as backup for Fraser and Osman, but his form in the first few games of this season, and for large spells of last season, prove that he definitely is good enough to stay in this league.

Maybe he's not attacking as much because Archie's told him to sit back.

Say on Saturday whilst we had Elliott at Left Back, is it possible Archie has told him not to be as adventurous so as to ensure he is there to offer support to Elliott if a team counter attacks down their right?

When you watched us, Elliott was actually one of our best attackers on Saturday, I think he played 5 balls into the box in the first half.

Our game has changed quite drastically so it's unfair to compare with any players form in the First. Not forgeting we were miles ahead of everyone else in terms of ability, every player could attack at will and practically any player could cover for him. In the Premiership we are playing against better players with more tactically astute managers, something has to give. Maybe expectation level should be the first thing to give?

• Like 2