Fitting Our Players Into 3-5-2

CultsJag17

Clearly most of our success in the last two seasons has come from playing the 3-5-2 formation, especially with Barton in the middle of the back 3, which gets us playing better football from the back.

With key players returning from injury, here is a take on our options after the winter break :

Goalkeeper - no issue - Cerny clear No 1

Back 3 - now looks a no brainer with Barton in the middle of Keown and Turnbull, with Devine as back up

Right Wing Back - Elliot would be my first choice, but doesn't look like he'll be back soon, so it will be McGinn or Dumbuya. Think Dumbaya (despite his pace) is more of a full back in a 4-4-2 than a wing back, so would stick with McGinn

Left Wing Back - credit to Lawless for covering admirably, but the team will be much better with Booth back, with Penrice as back up.

Midfield - assuming we'll go with 2 holding players and 1 supporting the strikers, for the holding ones, the choice will be between Osman, Woods, McCarthy, Bannigan (when fit), plus I would include Penrice in the mix here, given his performances at Livi.

For the more attacking role, we are a bit spoilt for choice with Edwards, Erskine and Spittal (plus arguably Lawless), with all 3 arguably in our "better players" group. I think it is hard to leave out Edwards for his boundless energy that helps the team in general, but tough to leave out Erskine and Spittal.

Strikers - again we've got reasonable options here with 2 out of Doolan, Sammon, Storey and Nisbet, and I would go with Sammon, plus one other, probably Doolan, who is also effective from the bench.

The big issue is accommodating Edwards, Erskine and Spittal in this formation, with arguably only 1 out of the 3 being able to start. Perhaps in away games, we go to more of a 3-5-1-1 and play 2 out of the 3.

Happy problems, however, when the squad looks much stronger with key players returning.

In terms of new signings, I think central midfield could be stronger (in the holding positions), and would let Fraser go, and bring in someone with SPL experience.

• Like 1

If (big if) we could get Bannigan, Osman and two attacking full backs fit and in form, and Erskine was fine, I think 4-2-3-1 becomes the preferred option again. That way Edwards, Erskine, Spittal and Doolan all play for me.

5-3-2 'first team' is entirely different personnel, so it's an interesting one.

The 4-2-3-1 certainly allows us to play to our strengths with Erskine, Edwards and Spittal supporting a single striker, which I think should be Sammon - his hold up play would allow those 3 to run off him.

Barton would have to be sacrificed (hasn't looked good in a back 4), with Turnbull and Keown potentially a decent combination.

Better also for McGinn who looks more of a right back than a wing back.