What Now?

Auld Jag

Now that Cowan and Hughes are away what happens now? Is there somebody willing to invest a lot of money in the club or are we still left with the financial problems we had when they were at Firhill?It is quite clear that the club needs investment.We are sitting bottom with 3pts(as my son pointed out to me we have the lowest points tally of any scottish club)and we have a manager who doesnt seem to know how to turn our fortunes around.If we have to get rid of McCall it would take a fair amount of cash,but if we dont get rid of him because we cant afford it what would happen if we got relegated,would we still have a club to support?If the answer is we dont have fresh investment,what was the point in theese 2 leaving? Because as the crowd yesterday proved fans arent going to come back just because Cowan and Hughes goes.What might bring the fans back is a team that wins,but unless things change with our managerial and playing staff i dont think that will happen soon.

Now that Cowan and Hughes are away what happens now? Is there somebody willing to invest a lot of money in the club or are we still left with the financial problems we had when they were at Firhill?It is quite clear that the club needs investment.We are sitting bottom with 3pts(as my son pointed out to me we have the lowest points tally of any scottish club)and we have a manager who doesnt seem to know how to turn our fortunes around.If we have to get rid of McCall it would take a fair amount of cash,but if we dont get rid of him because we cant afford it what would happen if we got relegated,would we still have a club to support?If the answer is we dont have fresh investment,what was the point in theese 2 leaving? Because as the crowd yesterday proved fans arent going to come back just because Cowan and Hughes goes.What might bring the fans back is a team that wins,but unless things change with our managerial and playing staff i dont think that will happen soon.

Basically we need massive investment to get the club back on its feet yet there are still people on here that would not even accept Roman Abramovich as an investor, if he ditched Chelsea. You really have to laugh at some people. The club is on the verge, the crowds are leaving in their droves, the grounds a shambles, we are up to our eyeballs in debt, we have an old team, we have a manager that has lost his way and we are bottom of the table, but mention bringing a multi millionaire on board and they start taking fits!! You couldnt make it up!!!

Edited by Lindau

Basically we need massive investment to get the club back on its feet yet there are still people on here that would not even accept Roman Abramovich as an investor, if he ditched Chelsea. You really have to laugh at some people. The club is on the verge, the crowds are leaving in their droves, the grounds a shambles, we are up to our eyeballs in debt, we have an old team, we have a manager that has lost his way and we are bottom of the table, but mention bringing a multi millionaire on board and they start taking fits!! You couldnt make it up!!!

Yet you just did :thinking:

Yet you just did :thinking:

I didnt make it up, its fact. There are individuals on here that only want "Thistle minded" money men on board and the thought of having a non jags person at the helm sends them into a frenzy. I would imagine Cowan, Hughes and Prentice were all financially well off, if not millionaires , Beattie, Allan, Gilfillan and Bannerman are all millionaires, Oliver and Springford were multi millionaires, McMaster probably a millionaire. There are other as well, that have served on the board over the last 10 years that were well off. Where have these mostly "Thistle minded" guys got us??? Bottom of Div 1, facing relegation, £1.5m debt, threats of part time football or even worse!!! Yeah lets keep the boardroom doors open for Thisle minded people only!!!! The club needs major investment and in this day and age, where our crowds are now hitting 1500, some people need a reality check! We are in no position to pick and chose who wants to invest in the club

Edited by Lindau

I didnt make it up, its fact. There are individuals on here that only want "Thistle minded" money men on board and the thought of having a non jags person at the helm sends them into a frenzy. I would imagine Cowan, Hughes and Prentice were all financially well off, if not millionaires , Beattie, Allan, Gilfillan and Bannerman are all millionaires, Oliver was a multi millionaire, McMaster probably a millionaire. There are other as well, that have served on the board over the last 10 years that were well off. Where have these guys got us??? Bottom of Div 1, facing relegation, threats of part time football or even worse!!! Yeah lets keep the boardroom doors open for Thisle minded people only!!!! The club needs major investment and in this day and age, where our crowds are now hitting 1500, some people need a reality check!

No what the people you refer to are saying is that a one man money machine is not the best option for a Club like Thistle. Look through the ages at teams like Clydebank, Airdrieonians and Gretna (now Dundee as well possibly) to see what one-man/one family show runners can do to Clubs. If one came along ready to wipe out our debt, sell Firhill and relocate the Club somewhere acceptable then I would take that, but its still a risk...would you not agree?

No what the people you refer to are saying is that a one man money machine is not the best option for a Club like Thistle. Look through the ages at teams like Clydebank, Airdrieonians and Gretna (now Dundee as well possibly) to see what one-man/one family show runners can do to Clubs. If one came along ready to wipe out our debt, sell Firhill and relocate the Club somewhere acceptable then I would take that, but its still a risk...would you not agree?

I am not talking about a one man show. Its probably a very long shot but I would love 3 or 4 well off, financially astute business people to join the current board and get the club kick started, but doubt thats gonna happen. Personally I would take anything over what we have now. I dont think many fans understand how close to the abyss we proabably are and a drop into Div 2 could finish the club off for good. One multi millionaire owner or possible oblivion.....what would you prefer??

I think the position we now find ourselves in,which has been caused by so called Thistle minded people means if anybody wanted to invest money into the club we would need to take it.If things keep going the way they are now and with no fresh investment in a few years time we will be playing to crowds under 1000 in the second division at best.

I think the position we now find ourselves in,which has been caused by so called Thistle minded people means if anybody wanted to invest money into the club we would need to take it.If things keep going the way they are now and with no fresh investment in a few years time we will be playing to crowds under 1000 in the second division at best.

Totally agree AJ.

It's a pipe dream wishing for somebody to "do an Abramovich" with Thistle.

I estimate these figures but, £1.5 million to wipe the debt, possibly a similar amount to wrest shares from current individual holders, opperating loss of about £250,000 on a £1.5 million turnover, customers with shares and an entitlement to board representation, a stadium in need of some rennovation, a small hardcore support, a shoesting administrative personnel, a manager with an apparently watertight contract, a dud team heading deeper into the footballing wilderness....

Really y'gotta love 'em.

Maybe the picture I draw of the current situation is wide of the mark and others may be worse off than us but I doubt someone of Michelle Mone's or Calum Melville's ilk alone, or as part of a consortium of investors, would have the financial clout or be willing to afford the time and attention to fully resolve the predicament.

Of course, any monetary donation would be welcome but the true benefit of such is entirely dependant on how that is utilised. It appears Melville's philanthropic gesture was punted on players in the hope of a speedy return to "top flight" football. We need some one with an interest in developing the club in general not someone just looking for "glamour" football.

What we really don't want to hear is any more fatuous "SPL where we rightfully belong" statements of intent. No we dont! Nor should we want to be, unless we are able to make an impact on it rather than it make an impact on us. The SPL is not nirvana or a utopian paradise. There seems to be an attitude that if we can just get in with the big boys we'll be fine for cash and everything'll be ok. Surely our history confirms a very different reality.

Thistle desperately need to flourish as an independant institution. Every bit as much as a blank cheque from a russian, we need directors with a ruthless, honest, understanding of what Partick Thistle is. Its place in the community as well as in football. Its current financial potential and acheivable, innovative ideas on how it can develope that and engage its support. Perahps a director with experience in hospitality or entertainment to generate some serious coporate interest and make the "matchday experience" something special. Possibly someone with a one of the big charities on his or her C.V. to head up our fund raising and community developement initiatives.

Whoever takes over has got a pretty full "to do" list. To me the potential rewards would be priceless. But would a non-jags fan view it similarly?

'mon Mone show me the love! :fan: