Banner At Parkhead Today

kennypaton

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Banner at Parkhead today

I understand that many people on this forum couldn't care less about the OF and the actions of their supporters. However, this picture sums up to me the nonsense that surrounds a certain element of football supporters in Glasgow.

Fans supporting a political cause isnt a phenomenon particular to glasgow, nor old firm fans.

Edited by ThistleMad

Im not one bit surprised. There just vermin scum.

To be fair i dont think its justifiable to call people 'vermin scum' because they dont hold similar views to you on the wearing of a poppy. Can you not accept that some people in the world disagree with you without thinkng those who do are less than you?

Edited by ThistleMad

Fans supporting a political cause isnt a phenomenon particular to glasgow, nor old firm fans.

I understand this, however I don't remember any banners at a football ground which showed such a total lack of respect to those who died fighting for our country. Which political cause is this football club exactly supporting, especially with Dr John Reid on the board? This isn't to do with politics, its an example of the one of the OF taking this nonsense to far.

I understand this, however I don't remember any banners at a football ground which showed such a total lack of respect to those who died fighting for our country. Which political cause is this football club exactly supporting, especially with Dr John Reid on the board? This isn't to do with politics, its an example of the one of the OF taking this nonsense to far.

What nonsense? Im sure there are clubs that express far more reprehensible sentiments than these.

'died fighting for ur country'. did they really? whos country? why? from who? Lots of questions, lots of legitimat positions to take and possible answers to give.

What nonsense? Im sure there are clubs that express far more reprehensible sentiments than these.

'died fighting for ur country'. did they really? whos country? why? from who? Lots of questions, lots of legitimat positions to take and possible answers to give.

Fair enough that is your opinion. I'm sure I don't need to tell you the reasons behing WWI and WWII and why we were doing this. In addition, there have been several wars since which the political reasons behind have been suspect, personally I don't agree with the Iraq war. However, I respect the ordinary men and women who put their lives on the line to do a job i wouldn't have the bottle to do. For me, the poppy isn't glorifying war, it is a dignified method of respect.

Anyway my point wasn't to spark a debate on war, that is for the general forum. I was just highlighting some of the bizarre goings on at the OF clubs. Whatever your political opinions, it has nothing to do with football.

Edited by kennypaton

Fair enough that is your opinion. I'm sure I don't need to tell you the reasons behing WWI and WWII and why we were doing this. In addition, there have been several wars since which the political reasons behind have been suspect, personally I don't agree with the Iraq war. However, I respect the ordinary men and women who put their lives on the line to do I job i wouldn't have the bottle to do. For me, the poppy isn't glorify war it is a dignified method of respect.

Anyway my point wasn't to spark a debate on war, that is for the general forum. I was just highlighting some of the bizarre goins on at OF clubs. Whatever your political opinions, it has nothing to do with football.

I think plitics and football can mix. Also if the topic and all that pertains to it isnt suitable for this area then maybe you should have posted it in the general forum. You cant say this is bizarre and these people are scum for expressing this, but as soon as someone says they might not be hide behind the'general forum for controversey' line.

To be fair i dont think its justifiable to call people 'vermin scum' because they dont hold similar views to you on the wearing of a poppy. Can you not accept that some people in the world disagree with you without thinkng those who do are less than you?

That's just the way i am mucker. I have mates who are celtic fans..i tell them their vermin scum aswell.

Oh the banter...

I think plitics and football can mix. Also if the topic and all that pertains to it isnt suitable for this area then maybe you should have posted it in the general forum. You cant say this is bizarre and these people are scum for expressing this, but as soon as someone says they might not be hide behind the'general forum for controversey' line.

This section of the forum discusses Scottish football (i.e. players, games, fans) while the general forum discusses poltics or just general random discussions. When i posted this comment I was attempting state that I don't think such a banner is relevant in Scottish football i.e. WTF is it do with Scottish football. The general forum comment was in response to your comment i.e. ur country, which country, why?, which is a debate I wasn't trying to instigate, not really hiding behing anything really.

Edited by kennypaton

For me, the poppy isn't glorifying war, it is a dignified method of respect.

I agree with this, but not everyone will see it that way. I'm sure many people in that photograph don't accept the poppy as a symbolic gesture towards the dead of two world wars and more as a symbol of centuries of British rule over an island to the west of here.

There's a bitter irony in all this for us of Scots-Irish descent that thousands of Catholic Irish denied the vote on autonomy for their nation died in a war 90 years ago that was joined by Britain and Ireland to protect the autonomy of little Catholic Belgium.

I agree with this, but not everyone will see it that way. I'm sure many people in that photograph don't accept the poppy as a symbolic gesture towards the dead of two world wars and more as a symbol of centuries of British rule over an island to the west of here.

There's a bitter irony in all this for us of Scots-Irish descent that thousands of Catholic Irish denied the vote on autonomy for their nation died in a war 90 years ago that was joined by Britain and Ireland to protect the autonomy of little Catholic Belgium.

Totally understand why certain Irish people hold a resenetment to the British Army after certain incidents during the conflict. However, in my opinion I think this is just more tit-for-tat OF rubbish. The majority of Celtic fans that I have met who share the beliefs of the banner aren't as clued up on the history as some people are, they more see it as a dig at Rangers. To be more concise, I think football rivalry has resulted in a total disrespect to people who are largely dissociated from the reasons behind the display.

Edited by kennypaton

'died fighting for ur country'. did they really? whos country? why? from who?

1 - Yes.

2 - When it comes to Defence and Homeland security, The United Kingdom is your country, whether you like it or not. Treaty of Union 1707.

3 - Does that make any difference in whether you should respect the dead?

4 - What?

I think old firm politics is one of the many reasons that they stink, and stink again. Both Celtic and Rangers are *supposed* to be Scottish football clubs, but oh no they don't like it. It's not just football to these scrotes. I'm not buying the 'traditions' hooplah, they are both traitors in their own way. Football should be about community, and your local area, not some warped and strange sectarian/political brainwashing nonsense that these weirdos go in for.

These people are vermin scum of the highest order.

I don't agree with any of our recent conflicts but to make such a public display against respecting the fallen from 2 world wars is an outrage.

I really wish that club could be closed down and Celtic Park bulldozed (preferably with fans in situ).

I can't begin to explain how offensive I find the anti-poppy attitude of Celtic fans - both my grandfathers (one an Irishman) served in the British Army during WWII and this scum are pishing on their memory.

I'm sure many people in that photograph don't accept the poppy as a symbolic gesture towards the dead of two world wars and more as a symbol of centuries of British rule over an island to the west of here.

How on earth can they possibly come to that view? They would need to have been living in a cave all their life not to know what the poppy's about.

Hmmm - think I've just answered my own question...

If you want to make a political statement it's rather idiotic to do so in a way that includes others who may not share your views, and by saying "our hoops" they are most definitely doing so. The party line is that they disagree with the recent wars and forces in Ireland etc rather than showing disrespect to the symbol of recognition to those who served in the great wars, but the poppy is fundamentally a salute to the soldiers, not the decision makers. I'd love to hear what a Celtic fan who fought in the war or any conflict since thinks of this show of defiance and them having poppies on "their" hoops.