Banner At Parkhead Today

kennypaton

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i made the case for starting ultras group within the thistle fan base. I never once said we should invite celtic supporters to support us. that would be a bizzare thing to ask indeed.

i suspect that because i tend to take a more nuanced look at all things old firm that such distortions of what i have said can arise.

I'm too old for all of this but what exactly is an Ultras group? Does this by any chance entail joing forces to fight, erm, the h*ns? If so, why would we do that? As far as I know - and I've met loads of them in my time, not all Rangers fans are sash wearing fascists and I guess the same could equally said about Celtic and their "Green Brigade" fans. Are the vast majority of fans not just football fans?

When my former Communist Party comrade Dr Reid became chairmen of the board a number of work colleagues promised that they'd never step inside Parkhead again. Something about "not wanting to enjoy football in the company of a war-monger". Funny thing is that they've all still got season tickets and still seem to find their way to Parkhead every other Saturday. All offers of joining me at Firhill were politely refused.

Any notion of turning us into a Glasgow version of St Puali won't involve disaffected OF fans.

No pasaran.

we are not in Iraq anymore :rolleyes:

news flash, civilians die in war. sorry if that upsets you but its true and whats that got to do with supporting our troops?

again, war is not nice people die thats the life we live in, it will NEVER end, we will never have peace in the world, people are too greedy for power/wealth.

These murdering, torturing b@astards are not 'my' troops, in any way, and are certainly no morally better than the people they're up against. And we' are in Iraq alright, make no mistake about that whatever lies the tory press tell you. Just remind me again HOW MANY weapons of mass destruction did they find?

The only two sets of fans in Scottish football who have ever adopted the moral high ground are, for their different reasons, Celtic and Thistle: Celtic lost any right they might ever have had to it when they appointed the political necrophiliac and mass-murderer Reid to the board. When I read some of the reactionary sh1te on here, I realised finally so have we lost any right to it - we are no better than Old Firm fans.

These murdering, torturing b@astards are not 'my' troops, in any way, and are certainly no morally better than the people they're up against. And we' are in Iraq alright, make no mistake about that whatever lies the tory press tell you. Just remind me again HOW MANY weapons of mass destruction did they find?

The only two sets of fans in Scottish football who have ever adopted the moral high ground are, for their different reasons, Celtic and Thistle: Celtic lost any right they might ever have had to it when they appointed the political necrophiliac and mass-murderer Reid to the board. When I read some of the reactionary sh1te on here, I realised finally so have we lost any right to it - we are no better than Old Firm fans.

bloody hell, you are deluded, when the crap hits the fan and you need those "murdering, torturing b@astards" i hope you remember to say thanks.

if living in your little bubble where reality does not get a look in keeps you happy then fine, war happens and will continue to happen.

oh and the last i looked i wasn't a "murdering, torturing b@astards" and know for a fact that all the guys i know are not, can you say the same?

and hey smile it could be worse :thumbsup2:

Just reading in the herald report today that Neil Doncaster has stated that every team in the SPL is compelled to wear the poppy on the saturday closest to remembarance day. I thought the whole thing was supposed to be about personal choice.

This conflation of football and poppy day in the context of unpopular wars clearly does have poltical bearing. And whether you like it or not Iraq war was an illegal war, and i believe that it was nuremberg that established that 'following orders' is not a sufficient case against a charge of illegal activity in the warfare setting. Thus,there is a case to suggest that any soldiers that fought in the iraq areana are war criminals.

The poppy is not just about commemorating ww1 ww2 it is about commermorating current wars. Since i consider afghanistan and iraq war as immoral why on earth should i honour those with blood on their hands? If it was purely about world wars that would be a different matter.

what is disgusting is the manipulation of the memories of those that fell in the world wars to commece assent to unpopular wars. It is this discourse that is really spitting on the graves of those who gave these sacrifices.

This nonsense about being against the war but supporting our boys is an illogical position to take.

returning to the first point, as the poppy is getting increasingly forced upon us, it is legitimate to protest against somethign taht is manifestly a poltical action. If it was just about personal dignified choice about honouring dead soldiers then this issue would not arise.

:wall::wall::wall:

As (it turns out, the not quite so) crazy davie said, SO much wrong with mrD's post.

Jesus christ.

So many people gave up their lives over the many conflicts to give us the freedom of choice, and, I will be proud to wear my red poppy this weekend despite what the hordes of Irish Republican scum from the east-end of Glasgow think. They like to talk about "Scotland's Secret Shame". They are indeed Scotland's Shame.