Doug Somer

kni

I'm sure Macadam and Somner were never at Firhill at the same time. Checked Wiki and I see they maybe overlapped for a year but in the first year Macadam was with us started as a centre back (dangerous there - always liable to give away a penalty) and I'm pretty sure he didn't play beside Somner up front - but I could be wrong, long time ago.

McQuade and Whitaker went to Hearts and we got some cash plus Donald Park - and by that time Somner had gone so these guys never were available to us all at the same time.

Having said that what wouldn't we do to have some of the team pairings we had then now? MacAdam and Melrose, Craig and Somner, McQuade and Houston, Campbell and Anderson (who I think although there may have been better individual defenders were the best centre-back pairing we ever had) and of course Rough in goals. And I wish we had a wee battler like Park in the current team - he really let his team mates know if he thought they were shirking. And there was a lot of skill in him too.

All brilliant pairings. Going back a bit further, the Coulston - Bone pairing up front was just fantastic. How I wish we could travel back in time to see exactly how great they were.

All brilliant pairings. Going back a bit further, the Coulston - Bone pairing up front was just fantastic. How I wish we could travel back in time to see exactly how great they were.

We've hardly had a decent pairing since that era, unbelievable really.Only ones that spring to mind for me are Shaw and Britton.Hardie didn't really play up front for us but he and Trigger gave each other a lot of assists.Apart from that I cant really think of a dynamic duo up front for us that actually worked as a pair.

The 1971 side was brilliant. We had a great pair of full-backs in John Hansen and Alex Forsyth too plus Ronnie Glavin and Johnny Gibson.

Scott Paterson, even though his spell with us was brief, is one of the best players to have worn the Thistle jersey. Imagine him fully fit and Chic Charnley playing together in midfield!

Edited by kni