Doug Somer

kni

Dougie Somner and Jim Melrose were the best striking partnership I remember seeing at Firhill.

Could be doing with them now!

I'm with eddig - big dougie was pure big chested class while jim melrose was a whippet (anyone remember melrose's overhead kick at Hampden against the dons in a cup semi-final albeit on a night we got gubbed 4-2?).

:thumbsup2:

Dougie Somner and Jim Melrose were the best striking partnership I remember seeing at Firhill.

Could be doing with them now!

I think at that time we had Somner,McAdam,Melrose,Houston and Big Dennis was still about too..........what a set of forwards.

Should the team of that era possibly have achieved more? Bertie was a good manager but ultra defensive away from home, when you look at the strikers we had you wonder why.

As people have said about the great Bobby Law in earlier threads, why can't we get these HEROES out on the pitch at half time during home games? I'm not denying the Hall of Fame thing, but I cant afford to go, and it would be nice to see the club appreciate that many fans believe we have a history that subsists out of 1971 and we would like to be able to express that....

As people have said about the great Bobby Law in earlier threads, why can't we get these HEROES out on the pitch at half time during home games? I'm not denying the Hall of Fame thing, but I cant afford to go, and it would be nice to see the club appreciate that many fans believe we have a history that subsists out of 1971 and we would like to be able to express that....

Well fingers crossed Bobby will be out on the pitch in the very near future.

They have in the past had formr players out at half time.......but it would be great to see Bobby and Doug out on the park.

Oh in reply to grant, I too saw the ET article and think Willie Sharp will be one of the five inductees along with Doug and Bobby.

I think at that time we had Somner,McAdam,Melrose,Houston and Big Dennis was still about too..........what a set of forwards.

Should the team of that era possibly have achieved more? Bertie was a good manager but ultra defensive away from home, when you look at the strikers we had you wonder why.

Add Donald Park to that list...and Rough in goals, the Hansens, Jackie Campbell and Andy Anderson in defence, that really was a good squad.

Doug Somner was an outstanding striker - physically powerful but with skill and a good finisher, only a lack of pace stopped him being absolutely top class. I was appalled when he was inexplicably transferred to St Mirren where he finished top scorer in the Premier League if I remember rightly. The transfer fee was supposedly spent on ground improvements at Firhill - it paid for the segregation fence in the Shed :thumbdown:

I always thought that marked the turning point from Thistle being a genuine Top League Club.

Add Donald Park to that list...and Rough in goals, the Hansens, Jackie Campbell and Andy Anderson in defence, that really was a good squad.

Doug Somner was an outstanding striker - physically powerful but with skill and a good finisher, only a lack of pace stopped him being absolutely top class. I was appalled when he was inexplicably transferred to St Mirren where he finished top scorer in the Premier League if I remember rightly. The transfer fee was supposedly spent on ground improvements at Firhill - it paid for the segregation fence in the Shed :thumbdown:

I always thought that marked the turning point from Thistle being a genuine Top League Club.

What,lied to by the board about ground improvements? We're lucky that never happened again....

What,lied to by the board about ground improvements? We're lucky that never happened again....

I'm going to email Ami and ask that Jackie Campbell be added. I thought that Doug Somner was great but for me Jackie Campbell deserves his own place in the Hall Of Fame. For me he IS Thistle. A one club hero.

I'm sure Macadam and Somner were never at Firhill at the same time. Checked Wiki and I see they maybe overlapped for a year but in the first year Macadam was with us started as a centre back (dangerous there - always liable to give away a penalty) and I'm pretty sure he didn't play beside Somner up front - but I could be wrong, long time ago.

McQuade and Whitaker went to Hearts and we got some cash plus Donald Park - and by that time Somner had gone so these guys never were available to us all at the same time.

Having said that what wouldn't we do to have some of the team pairings we had then now? MacAdam and Melrose, Craig and Somner, McQuade and Houston, Campbell and Anderson (who I think although there may have been better individual defenders were the best centre-back pairing we ever had) and of course Rough in goals. And I wish we had a wee battler like Park in the current team - he really let his team mates know if he thought they were shirking. And there was a lot of skill in him too.

Edited by Mr Bunny