Stirling Want £10K Compensation From Sfl

kni

From - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_div_1/9244986.stm

"The governing body was only able to find enough foreign referees for Scottish Premier League games.And Stirling Albion director Paul Goodwin said: "The clubs in the league collectively have come together and said we are not happy with this.

"We have a valid claim, we believe, for round about £10,000," he said, revealing that Albion have already spoken to the SFL's chief executive.

"We certainly were quite vocal about it and we circulated the rest of the clubs who had the home fixtures and I think to a man everyone's ready to chap on David Longmuir's door to say we want you to represent us by talking to the SFA to see where we are due some sort of compensation."

I think that Albion are on shaky ground. This fixture was re-arranged from mid-week in March as the original game was cancelled due to the Alba Cup Final. I do have sympathy with the other clubs whose games were postponed. Why should SFL clubs suffer due to the idiotic comments of John Reid et al? The SFL, not the SPL, should have had first call on the available foreign referees.

I'm confused by the title of the thread. I imagine the best any SFL club can expect might be to not have to pay for a referee and assistants for one match after the new year. The phrase 'absolute discretion', or something like it, will probably be dug out of a dark recess for a situation such as this.

In the meantime, I'm sure the SFL will be vigorously defending the interests of its members. Not.

Think I read somewhere that the SFL have made discretionary winter payments to all member clubs. Not the same thing of course as getting compo from the SFA or SPL.

We've come off relatively well having two away games postponed.

I doubt that the winter payments will cover the lost gate money. The postponements will help us as injured players like Robertson and McBeth should miss fewer games.

I more than understand games being postponed for one reason or the other, but the SFL should be a little more relaxed on when these games are rescheduled for. Our home game against QOS was supposed to be on a Saturday and we were forced to reschedule it for a midweek when, if it is on, it will be baltic, and both the home and away support will be greatly reduced from what it would have been.

There must be a few free weekends in the new year that could have been used instead, ensuring that we do not suffer from a loss in gate money. I know its only December, but extending the season by a week or two wouldn't kill anyone either. I understand that Raith would probably still be playing last seasons fixtures just now, and that there has to be a point where midweek games are neccessary, but December is not at that point.

I doubt that the winter payments will cover the lost gate money. The postponements will help us as injured players like Robertson and McBeth should miss fewer games.

Dundee are not getting games on that Griffiths and Harkins could play in, before they leave Dens in January, presumably. I'm taking that as a wee bonus. It's pretty unfair though understandable that they've been able to retain them anyway, but this is reducing the effect a bit. In that sense, it can keep on snowing as far as I'm concerned.

Dundee are not getting games on that Griffiths and Harkins could play in, before they leave Dens in January, presumably. I'm taking that as a wee bonus. It's pretty unfair though understandable that they've been able to retain them anyway, but this is reducing the effect a bit. In that sense, it can keep on snowing as far as I'm concerned.

Never thought about that, but you're right it could work as a bonus.

I'm starting to wonder now whether Dundee will attempt to sell the valuable players on as soon as decent bids come in, or as will be more likely will take it to the brink. Wouldn't that be hilarious if they did and nobody came in for them, in the knowledge that Dundee would be likely to terminate their contracts once the window shuts as they couldn't afford to keep them on, meaning the 'buying clubs' would have a relative bargain and would only compete on wages, not transfer fees and Dundee would have wasted a couple of months of high wages.

I think this is all working against us, we are just starting to pick points up and were due to play an out of form Stirling we have beaten the week before.

The only thing in our favour is it’s been away games that have been called off. Home games moved to during the week would have cost us money.

I might be making this up but was it not after a break like this as a result of the weather in January that it all went tits up last season? Maybe the reverse will happen and we'll storm up the league when we start up again :unknw:

Ok a distinct element of clutching at straws, but as a Jags fan that's par for the course :P

Edited by Steven H

Never thought about that, but you're right it could work as a bonus.

I'm starting to wonder now whether Dundee will attempt to sell the valuable players on as soon as decent bids come in, or as will be more likely will take it to the brink. Wouldn't that be hilarious if they did and nobody came in for them, in the knowledge that Dundee would be likely to terminate their contracts once the window shuts as they couldn't afford to keep them on, meaning the 'buying clubs' would have a relative bargain and would only compete on wages, not transfer fees and Dundee would have wasted a couple of months of high wages.

If the Marr's Business Club idea comes off then neither Griffiths or Harkins will be sold until the end of the season.

If the Marr's Business Club idea comes off then neither Griffiths or Harkins will be sold until the end of the season.

Ah, I've not been keeping up with the latest in Dundee for a while now, but just reading up on that now to avoid doing work.ndee for a while now, but just reading up on that now to avoid doing work.

I might be making this up but was it not after a break like this as a result of the weather in January that it all went tits up last season? Maybe the reverse will happen and we'll storm up the league when we start up again :unknw:

Ok a distinct element of clutching at straws, but as a Jags fan that's par for the course :P

You are making it up.

It all went tits up when lovell and adams were signed on loan early Nov. Team had been settled and playing well up til then. We hardly won a game once they signed (and looked a poorer/shakier and less settled/confident team when we did win) up until just before xmas. The snow came week before xmas, and lasted for a month, but we still managed to play various games in that period (and the downward slide continued).

You are making it up.

It all went tits up when lovell and adams were signed on loan early Nov. Team had been settled and playing well up til then. We hardly won a game once they signed (and looked a poorer/shakier and less settled/confident team when we did win) up until just before xmas. The snow came week before xmas, and lasted for a month, but we still managed to play various games in that period (and the downward slide continued).

:D . Although I disagree that things went tits up with the signing of Lovell and Adams (we weren't too bad). We were slipping a bit but it was January when the wheels completely came off the tracks.

Anyway, my point is, this might see an upturn in fortunes....2010 has been the worst year in a long time for Thistle.

You are making it up.

spot on..we have been basically shegite now for over a year now....give or take a couple of games :(