Mcdou-Goal: The Frank Mcdougall Story

Blackpool Jags

Firstly, acknowledgement of the shameless plug and the almost tenuous Thistle link.

Maryhill (Cadder) boy and former St Mirren and Aberdeen star, Frank McDougall, explains in his book how we - or rather Bertie - let him go. Frank could've, and most likely would've, gone on to become a Thistle legend had we taken him when he was available.

Yours truly had the privilege of playing with the man in the mid-70s, albeit at youth club and under 16s level, and he was the most talented player in our part of the world by a huge distance. The story itself is quite remarkable as Frankie, having chucked Hearts a few months after joining them straight from school, spent the next year or so as a full-time brickie's labourer, not kicking a ball for that time and having no intention of ever doing so again. Then...

Anyway, as the book's written by me and Homerjag's brother, and there is a Thistle link within, I thought I'd give it a wee mention.

Great read by the way, and very favourably priced.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/McDou-goal-Frank-McDougall-Story/dp/095531268X

Nice one.

I had no idea that we could have signed him. He would have banged in plenty for us.

Without any doubt he would've, Grant. When Alex Ferguson, who signed him twice, was asked by the author earlier this year, to which current footballer he would compare Frank directly - taking every factor into account - he paused for a couple of seconds and responded: "Wayne Rooney".

The Man U boss, not given to exaggerated praise, especially of a player who "knocked him out" during training at Aberdeen, apparently rated Frankie up there with the very best there was in the game.

Oh Bertie, doh. :doh:

BJ, what was the nature of the injury that ended Frank's career?

It was a long-standing back problem that did for him in the end. His penchant for the bevvy and a chainsmoking habit played no part in his premature retirement.

As an aside, he told me that his reason for chucking Hearts, as he approached seventeen, was that he was the subject of a lot of snyde digs from his 'team mates' on account of him being a catholic. I'm sure he must've been mistaken. <_<

It was a long-standing back problem that did for him in the end. His penchant for the bevvy and a chainsmoking habit played no part in his premature retirement.

As an aside, he told me that his reason for chucking Hearts, as he approached seventeen, was that he was the subject of a lot of snyde digs from his 'team mates' on account of him being a catholic. I'm sure he must've been mistaken. <_<

Ta :thumbsup2:

btw Frank must be a serious contender for a place in anyone's best uncapped Scottish eleven. Off the top of my head we could nominate Davie McParland, Charnley and George Niven.