Vegetarians

Chicofan

Yes, because you probably served them up some kind of inedible sludge, and/or nut roast.

Indeed not, sir. Among the extensive list of vegetarian dishes in my repertoire are such delights as butternut squash and sage risotto, mushroom en croute and ravioli of asparagus and sweet potato. My kitchen is ignorant of sludge.

Now as previously mentioned on another I have nothing against vegetarians...but there are a few things that do annoy me about the whole veggie..vegan and whatever else there is out there!

Firstly! why is it that veggies who hate/disagree with eating meat then feast there jaws round Quorn sausages and other veggie varieties that are in fact shaped like cuts of meat??

Secondly what are people that eat chicken and fish but don't eat red meat...not very sincere in any case whatever they are called???

Do total vegetarians or if there is another name? vegan?? not sure but anyway do they wear leather shoes etc??

And just a final point do all vegetarians wear glasses???

Not meaning to offend..just a couple of things that were stuck in the back of my mind!

I'm veggy. I don't wear glasses and quorn is yummy and a great source of protein :)

I'm a card carrying carnivore, but I married a Veggie. One thing that I noticed about cutting down on the amount of meat I eat is that you really notice the difference between the crap and the very good. I eat mostly vegetarian through the week but when I do eat meat I make sure it's really good quality now - so the the crappy 'beef' stuff they serve up in the staff canteen doesn't get touched anymore as it gives me the boak. But I will go home, prepare a nice veggie meal for the family and occasionally chuck some bacon bits in for me and the boy.

I'll say this though, I have genuinely found that I feel a lot better for having a far more balanced diet now. We have got some of the worst dietary health stats in the world here - I think most meat eaters supplement their diet with the odd potato at best, and it's pretty bad way to treat your digestive system. Trying to make vegetables interesting taught me to cook as well as appreciate food a lot more. Vegetarian food is only boring if you can only think of food in terms of 'meat and two veg'.

As for the Quorn stuff, I don't know how that stuff is so popular because I don't know anyone who eats it. I think it's basically for wannabe vegetarians - people who have ethical and moral concerns about meat and want to give it up but still think in the 'meat and two veg' way. Apart from the fact that the stuff tastes absolutely rank, if you need to put a fake bit of chicken on your plate then I'd suggest you buy a cook book and start trying some recipes that make the vegetables taste better.

As for fish, well no offence to you personally Siege Siege, but I don't think Japan should be telling anyone about sustainable fishing policies! I'm sure we can all pull out different stats, but there are scientists talking about a complete collapse in oceanic life but the middle of this century. There is also evidence to suggest that the number of dead zones (areas with so little oxygen nothing can live) are growing so rapidly that the planet is looking at another mass extinction (that includes us by the way) within the next 100 years. We have also entirely failed to protect fish stocks. There were varieties of Tuna that required a 90% reduction of fishing in order for their stocks to replenish, but our political masters only managed a meagre 30% cut. If you've got ethical concerns then fish should be a part of them!

All in all, a balanced diet is the best way for forward, but that's pretty difficult to achieve when we allow Tesco to set up their wee metros everywhere and squeeze out all the wee greengrocers. Tesco stock loads of Quorn products but don't actually stock fresh herbs - it just encourages us not to cook and eat their processed, chicken shaped crap. Bleurgh.

As for fish, well no offence to you personally Siege Siege, but I don't think Japan should be telling anyone about sustainable fishing policies! I'm sure we can all pull out different stats, but there are scientists talking about a complete collapse in oceanic life but the middle of this century. There is also evidence to suggest that the number of dead zones (areas with so little oxygen nothing can live) are growing so rapidly that the planet is looking at another mass extinction (that includes us by the way) within the next 100 years. We have also entirely failed to protect fish stocks. There were varieties of Tuna that required a 90% reduction of fishing in order for their stocks to replenish, but our political masters only managed a meagre 30% cut. If you've got ethical concerns then fish should be a part of them!

It is true that Japan consumes too much fish, particularly big fish such as Tuna, however I do not eat them. I eat more sustainable fish such as Crepe sardine.

By the way, a huge price rise in Kimchi is expected by the crop failure in Japan and Korea. This is a big problem for me.

Edited by sigesige00

Indeed not, sir. Among the extensive list of vegetarian dishes in my repertoire are such delights as butternut squash and sage risotto, mushroom en croute and ravioli of asparagus and sweet potato. My kitchen is ignorant of sludge.

Man, you've got me feeling hungry. Those indeed sound excellent. Time for me to go home soon......to a plate of sludge!

I'm a card carrying carnivore, but I married a Veggie. One thing that I noticed about cutting down on the amount of meat I eat is that you really notice the difference between the crap and the very good. I eat mostly vegetarian through the week but when I do eat meat I make sure it's really good quality now - so the the crappy 'beef' stuff they serve up in the staff canteen doesn't get touched anymore as it gives me the boak. But I will go home, prepare a nice veggie meal for the family and occasionally chuck some bacon bits in for me and the boy.

I'll say this though, I have genuinely found that I feel a lot better for having a far more balanced diet now. We have got some of the worst dietary health stats in the world here - I think most meat eaters supplement their diet with the odd potato at best, and it's pretty bad way to treat your digestive system. Trying to make vegetables interesting taught me to cook as well as appreciate food a lot more. Vegetarian food is only boring if you can only think of food in terms of 'meat and two veg'.

As for the Quorn stuff, I don't know how that stuff is so popular because I don't know anyone who eats it. I think it's basically for wannabe vegetarians - people who have ethical and moral concerns about meat and want to give it up but still think in the 'meat and two veg' way. Apart from the fact that the stuff tastes absolutely rank, if you need to put a fake bit of chicken on your plate then I'd suggest you buy a cook book and start trying some recipes that make the vegetables taste better.

All in all, a balanced diet is the best way for forward, but that's pretty difficult to achieve when we allow Tesco to set up their wee metros everywhere and squeeze out all the wee greengrocers. Tesco stock loads of Quorn products but don't actually stock fresh herbs - it just encourages us not to cook and eat their processed, chicken shaped crap. Bleurgh.

Although your last paragraph reminded me of Jamie Oliver :P , a very good post indeed..there is indeed plenty of pure quality meatstuffs out there!!

It is true that Japan consumes too much fish, particularly big fish such as Tuna, however I do not eat them. I eat more sustainable fish such as Crepe sardine.

By the way, a huge price rise in Kimchi is expected by the crop failure in Japan and Korea. This is a big problem for me.

Sigesige00: Do you eat natto? I've tried several times, but I just can't get to like it. Just about the only other thing I won't eat again is shirako.

• 2 weeks later...

I am seriously thinking about becoming a vegan from a fish vegetarian, because of the crisis of fishery.

However, there is a problem. In Japan, bonito is used in almost all soup. The alternative is dried siitake mushroom. However, this is more expensive.

I think you should go for the more expensive and solely vegan option SSS, be good to yourself.

Dried Slitcake Mushroom sounds so appetising.