Old Thistle Scarf

Jaggernaut

I'm putting this here rather than in the general topics forum so it'll reach more people; and it's bound to influence the team's performances:

I'm looking for an old-style scarf from the later 50s or early 60s. Simple black cotton, with a regular series of R&Y pinstripe diagonal stripes along the entire length. No logo.

Mine got lost somewhere recently. :(

I see a few guys who still wear these at matches. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable price for one in good nick.

Edited by Jaggernaut

cannot understand why the club do not remake scarfs that where

big sellers in the sixes

That's what I was going to say.

A scarf like this, in my opinion should be seen as a good money maker like the 71' strip was in Greaves.

They might not be originals but the design and colour scheme would wipe the floor with some of the scarfs on offer in Greaves just now. Red+Yellow+Grey? - ridiculous.

Red, yellow and black always.

That's what I was going to say.

A scarf like this, in my opinion should be seen as a good money maker like the 71' strip was in Greaves.

They might not be originals but the design and colour scheme would wipe the floor with some of the scarfs on offer in Greaves just now. Red+Yellow+Grey? - ridiculous.

Red, yellow and black always.

Or how about this liquorice allsorts thing:

http://www.greavessports.com/ptfc-stripe-scarf-p42345

I quite like the look of the centenary scarf, though. Anybody got it?

Edited by Jaggernaut

I'm putting this here rather than in the general topics forum so it'll reach more people; and it's bound to influence the team's performances:

I'm looking for an old-style scarf from the later 50s or early 60s. Simple black cotton, with a regular series of R&Y pinstripe diagonal stripes along the entire length. No logo.

I see a few guys who still wear these at matches. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable price for one in good nick.

I have an old one somewhere, it's a bit short, and is pointed at both ends. I was given it back in the early 80s as a friend had another one. I never wear it, so would I give it away? I'm not interested in money. Maybe it's not what you're looking for anyway.

I wish I knew where my old Centenery scarf was. You'd think these things would turn up on ebay occasionally. I bought one of these new liquorce scarves a while back and it's alright, but I had a disaster before. I put my Thistle tartan scarf in the wash by mistake and it ruined it. I tried to get another but they don't do them now. They did offer to do another run but I'd need to order quite a few. Anybody else interested?

I have an old one somewhere, it's a bit short, and is pointed at both ends. I was given it back in the early 80s as a friend had another one. I never wear it, so would I give it away? I'm not interested in money. Maybe it's not what you're looking for anyway.

I wish I knew where my old Centenery scarf was. You'd think these things would turn up on ebay occasionally. I bought one of these new liquorce scarves a while back and it's alright, but I had a disaster before. I put my Thistle tartan scarf in the wash by mistake and it ruined it. I tried to get another but they don't do them now. They did offer to do another run but I'd need to order quite a few. Anybody else interested?

That's exactly it!

For the tartan scarves (both the fluffy kind and the smooth kind), I'd certainly go for replacements.

By the centenary scarf I mean the modern one that's in Greaves. Do you mean another kind?

If it's the same ones i'm thinking of the material came from the old silk factory in Balloch, Loch Lomond.Pretty sure they printed it off in silk as well , they made identical old firm ones too, Rangers blue with red and white pin stripes etc , I don't know who took the material and turned them into scarves but I do know that many yards of the old firm design made its way out the back door and was turned into all sorts of cushions and the like.

If you go into the student shop at glasgow uni they sell scarves just like the old ones all black with red n yellow pin stripes it,s the medical student scarf i think.

If it's the same ones i'm thinking of the material came from the old silk factory in Balloch, Loch Lomond.Pretty sure they printed it off in silk as well , they made identical old firm ones too, Rangers blue with red and white pin stripes etc , I don't know who took the material and turned them into scarves but I do know that many yards of the old firm design made its way out the back door and was turned into all sorts of cushions and the like.

That's right. I remember the H*n equivalent. But the material was definitely not silk. But there was a another kind of scarf that was also black with diagonal red and yellow stripes, spaced further apart, and with a thistle logo between the pairs of stripes. That had more of a silky feel to it. There are still quite a lot of thse kicking around too.

That's a bit like the old Centenary scarf that I had, same kind of material anyway, but it was red and yellow stripes, with a big crest in the middle. It came out around 1976 or 77. Does nobody remember it?

I saw a cashmere scarf on the Toffs site that looked ok, and I might go for. Alternatively, there is a site that does the scarf in the Thistle tartan but it's about £85.

http://www.scotweb.co.uk/buy/luxury-wool-tartan-scarf/material/59859

I enquired last year when I ruined the one I had, and was told, by that tartan shop in Sauchiehall Street, that they would have to run off at least 8 or maybe 10 to make it worth their while. That would work out at a better price if we got a few interested. It was too much for me to think of doing alone. I could ask about that again.

If, say, some of us split the costs and got a few run off I'd happily donate my share of any profits to the club. Perhaps to make a point if nothing else. Anybody interested in joining me? Could we start up an alternative Trust with that foundation? hehehe. Only joshing on that one.

That apart, I think that Thistle and Greaves are missing a trick here. I still have my tartan scarf, but it's far too short now. My daughter sometimes wears it. I was in Greaves a while back and mentioned that.

By ra way, Jaggernaut is getting my old scarf. Here's a pic:

http://partickthistleahistory.wetpaint.com/page/Other+Pen-Pics

Hope you don't mind me putting that up there.....

Edited by beep0608

I saw a cashmere scarf on the Toffs site that looked ok, and I might go for. Alternatively, there is a site that does the scarf in the Thistle tartan but it's about £85.

http://www.scotweb.co.uk/buy/luxury-wool-tartan-scarf/material/59859

I enquired last year when I ruined the one I had, and was told, by that tartan shop in Sauchiehall Street, that they would have to run off at least 8 or maybe 10 to make it worth their while. That would work out at a better price if we got a few interested. It was too much for me to think of doing alone. I could ask about that again.

Unbelievable price! A new run of Thistle tartan scarves would sell by the score, maybe even hundreds, if they were reasonably priced. The club and Greaves are both slow off the mark here.

Great that we've got a calendar, but the total lack of any Christmas-related effort for PTFC goods by the club?Greaves is disappointing.