Clyde

lady-isobel-barnett

It's also interesting to note that the Kean's have just been granted permission to build a 'community stadium' at Calderglen Country Park despite fierce local opposition.Interesting times ahead.

I just don't see what this could achieve. Cumbernauld is a pretty large catchment from which to gain a support and it hasn't happened there. If the suggestions on here are correct, i'd give them even less time in East Kilbride before they decide to up sticks and move again - how many new towns are there in need of a football club?

I would suggest that Calderglen is equally remote in terms of public transport/local facilities and it isn't going to be easy to encourage new fans or become a popular trip for away fans.

The Keans have the local Cooncillors in their back pocket. The local MP got his election HQ rent free from them too. They seem to get planning for all their developments no matter how ridiculous (have you seen the bright yellow Spanish themed shopping centre in Hairmyres?!?!?)

The football pitch thing is well underway at Calderglen. Shoudl be finished for spring. Not sure if theres space etc for stands and traffic access for significant amounts of cars, pedestrians etc Should be fine for Clyde then. Boom boom.

The Calderglen complex will be ready in January when it will be available for the boys clubs to play on and also be used by all clubs in the town for training facilities.

This isnt the stadium for the professional team thats being located in another part of the town

The Calderglen complex will be ready in January when it will be available for the boys clubs to play on and also be used by all clubs in the town for training facilities.

This isnt the stadium for the professional team thats being located in another part of the town

Would this be a development in Langlands where there was talk if the keanes & king talking about moving EK thistle to?

Would this be a development in Langlands where there was talk if the keanes & king talking about moving EK thistle to?

Langlands??!! Bloody hell, that's sticksville! When I were a lad that were nothin' but fields - there was a row of prefabs and that was it.

The Showpark can't be beaten for location - 5min. walk from the station and (more importantly) the Monty :drink: .

Langlands??!! Bloody hell, that's sticksville! When I were a lad that were nothin' but fields - there was a row of prefabs and that was it.

The Showpark can't be beaten for location - 5min. walk from the station and (more importantly) the Monty :drink: .

True the showpark is a great location but is it not owned by local farmers who don't want to make any changes to it. Im sure the Langlands plan was for a 6000 seater staduim?

True the showpark is a great location but is it not owned by local farmers who don't want to make any changes to it. Im sure the Langlands plan was for a 6000 seater staduim?

Not sure who owns the land at the showpark, but it would definetely be the best place to build. There is loads of space just laying empty.

I'd heard there was possibly a stadium getting built up at Nerston near the Kingsgate if an EK club was to get into the SFL.

All hearsay at the moment until the 'highly respected' East Kilbride News has this plastered on the front page

I have seen pictures of Scotstoun with rugby posts up. The pitch would not be the maximum size (i.e. in-goal area) but it would be compliant with international standards.

There are posts up, but nothing more.

I don't think it's quite true that you can't fit a rugby pitch in, but you can't get an entierly grass one inside a running track. You can get the actual pitch in (and ofcourse football pitches too) but when the track goes round the corner it cuts out part of the in-goal area

Fairly easy to get round though: several grounds in France host rugby regularly and have athletics tracks - they simply put a bit of astroturf over the track in the in-goal area.

Like this.

3327721275_6801af08f8_o.jpg

Edited by lineens weegie army

I'm pretty confident that Clyde will move to East Kilbride and their name will change to 'East Kilbride Football Club'.

For those who don't already know, a new team has been started in East Kilbride - 'East Kilbride Football Club'.

They currently have boys clubs at all levels and they are backed by the millionaire owners of local construction company Kean Construction and Ian King, the editor of Sunsport. They have stated time and time again in the local press that their ultimate aim is to have a professional team in the town. They have also categorically stated that they believe that this can be acheived 'within 3 years'. I always wondered as to why they were so confident about the timescale, but with Clyde stating their intention to move from Broadwood, this is starting to look more and more likely.

The Kean brothers have been invloved with Clyde for many years. I understand they have been their main financial backers for some time and were responsible for bringing in many players, including Alan Lithgow.

It's also interesting to note that the Kean's have just been granted permission to build a 'community stadium' at Calderglen Country Park despite fierce local opposition.

Interesting times ahead.

You are correct Tom, although the stadium is not being built at Calderglen - it's just a training pitch (all weather) and stand that will seat a couple of hundred. I believe the plan for a stadium is in the offing and it is likely to be built in Langlands area of EK a couple of miles from the Country Park.