Government To Consider Reintroduction Of Terraces

twinny

The Guardian article

It seems that the Football Supporterss Federation's petition only considers England and Wales, however it is a step in the right direction and if standing is reintroduced in the EPL and Championship then there is no reason why it can't be reintroduced in the SPL/SFL. (I know that plenty of SFL clubs have standing areas, but isn't it the case that once you've been in the SPL you're no longer allowed to use terracing in the SFL? It sounds daft but I'm sure this was what we were told around 10 years ago.)

The Guardian article

It seems that the Football Supporterss Federation's petition only considers England and Wales, however it is a step in the right direction and if standing is reintroduced in the EPL and Championship then there is no reason why it can't be reintroduced in the SPL/SFL. (I know that plenty of SFL clubs have standing areas, but isn't it the case that once you've been in the SPL you're no longer allowed to use terracing in the SFL? It sounds daft but I'm sure this was what we were told around 10 years ago.)

I may be wrong but I don't believe there is much in the way of legislative constraint on standing areas in Scotland. It's all entirely in the hands of the footballing authorities.

I may be wrong but I don't believe there is much in the way of legislative constraint on standing areas in Scotland. It's all entirely in the hands of the footballing authorities.

While I wrote that I wasn't sure what the deal was with regards to terraces in Scotland, but I had a feeling along the lines of what you say. If these areas are reintroduced down here though, this might open the SPL's eyes to the issue and hopefully clubs will not need to increase the number of seats in their stadiums should clubs that have not already done so (i.e. QoS) be promoted in coming years. Also if we were ever to move away from Firhill I would hope that we could include a standing area, or even if that North end 'stand' ever exists.

According to the BBC the Premier League are opposing it and the government have gone on record as saying that no compelling case has been made for change.

In short it won't happen.

It's a shame, surely you'd just need to send a few links to some of the new stadiums in Germany and you would have a compelling case. Safe standing, cheaper prices and bigger crowds are all measurable and proven by the Bundesliga, better atmosphere is more subjective but it's pretty much a given that the atmosphere would be improved in any ground where fans can stand in certain areas.

The situation down south (and to a lesser extent up here as our stadiums are rarely full) is a bit of a farse just now, away fans can't stand but do and in theory clubs get reduced allocations for future away games for persistent standing but this is rarely used, particularly in the EPL, it's more for the "fans with a reputation" assosiciated with certain clubs in the Championship. For home fans most grounds have areas where standing is unofficially permitted but can't be officially endorsed. The authorities allow this to happen unofficially but they are never called standing areas and are legally worded in a way to show them as standing areas that don't officially tolerate standing.

Standing in seating areas cannot be, and currently is not, stopped amongst large crowds. Standing in seating areas is actually dangerous where as safe standing areas are not. For example at Millwall they stick away fans in the upper tier of a 2 tier stand behind the goals, last Saturday a Cardiff fan fell from the front tier after a goal was scored.

In small tiny crowds in the SFL the fact that stewards in certain grounds take exception to fans in the back row of a stand standing up is ridiculous. The fact that when these teams are in the SPL and the away ends are full and the whole end stands up and nothing is done makes it more so.

Bring back terracing. Bring back bevy. Bring back atmosphere.

Correct. The Scottish footballing authorities volunteered to implement the policy as a way to avoid a regulatory safety body being imposed on them as was the case in England and Wales.

It's a shame, surely you'd just need to send a few links to some of the new stadiums in Germany and you would have a compelling case. Safe standing, cheaper prices and bigger crowds are all measurable and proven by the Bundesliga, better atmosphere is more subjective but it's pretty much a given that the atmosphere would be improved in any ground where fans can stand in certain areas.

The situation down south (and to a lesser extent up here as our stadiums are rarely full) is a bit of a farse just now, away fans can't stand but do and in theory clubs get reduced allocations for future away games for persistent standing but this is rarely used, particularly in the EPL, it's more for the "fans with a reputation" assosiciated with certain clubs in the Championship. For home fans most grounds have areas where standing is unofficially permitted but can't be officially endorsed. The authorities allow this to happen unofficially but they are never called standing areas and are legally worded in a way to show them as standing areas that don't officially tolerate standing.

Standing in seating areas cannot be, and currently is not, stopped amongst large crowds. Standing in seating areas is actually dangerous where as safe standing areas are not. For example at Millwall they stick away fans in the upper tier of a 2 tier stand behind the goals, last Saturday a Cardiff fan fell from the front tier after a goal was scored.

In small tiny crowds in the SFL the fact that stewards in certain grounds take exception to fans in the back row of a stand standing up is ridiculous. The fact that when these teams are in the SPL and the away ends are full and the whole end stands up and nothing is done makes it more so.

Great post :happy2:

According to the BBC the Premier League are opposing it and the government have gone on record as saying that no compelling case has been made for change.

In short it won't happen.

Abso****inlutetly :thumbsup2:

I actually think that the reintroduction of terracing at somewhere like Firhill might lead to reduced income for the club. Presumably the price to get in would be cheaper, let's say £5 less. That's £5 down on everybody who switched to the terracing from the stands. And I don't for one second believe that freezing your balls off in the wind, rain and snow on a winter night in Scotland is somehow going to magically attract back enough people who prefer to stay in the pub or watch tv at home to make it profitable.

There's no doubt that in some cases a terracing crowd can increase atmosphere, but we've all stood on miserable, morgue-like terraces as well.