Part-Time By Stealth

Jaggernaut

With all the talk of more "high earners" (in Thistle terms) being either released or offered reduced wages, and even further reductions in the player budget, I wonder whether the overall aim of the Board isn't to arrive at what will essentially be a part-time squad. Well, there may be some youngsters on a full-time pittance of a wage, but more experienced players with families to provide for will need to seek employment elsewhere at the same time as playing for us.

If it comes to that stage, then if it was me and I wanted to make at least a decent earning as a full-timer, loyalty to the club wouldn't come into it. I'd be offski.

From what I hear the wages a lot of our players are on I'm surprised more don't have other jobs to supplement their income. In reality I'm not sure that going part time will achieve much.

As it is just now we've youngsters coming thru on an apprentice type wage, guys in their early twenties still to prove themselves, senior players playing for a pittance while they get on the coaching ladder. Buchanan was on a relatively decent wage but he's away and not being replaced at that wage level. That really leaves two or three over thirties that you could call proper full timers. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them drops down a wage to replace someone on the coaching ladder.

Like uberteeb I see nothing wrong with a hybrid set up. I'm not too sure how exactly traditional part time football would be of any further financial benefit. Also we can hark back to our successful teams of the seventies like when only Alan Hansen & Roughie were full timers but it should be remembered back then there was near full employment. Thus it was in effect easy to find supplementary employment that would dovetail quite easily with a part time football career. Doubt very much that is the case nowadays.

In other words I think we're not far off the modern equivalent of calling ourselves part time.