Are We Actually Well Coached?

I don't really know that much about the first team coaching arrangements at Firhill at the moment but various first team players just are playing that much better this year (could this be down to Ian Maxwell?).

Here's my list:

•  
  • Boyle - improved so much he's too good for us
  • Paton - now missed when he's not available (big bonus if he re-signs)
  • Hodge - genuine first team player, probably go on to better things (would be good to re-sign him)
  • Doolan - can hardly remember the light weight guy we had last year - big bag of goals
  • Kinniburgh - become a proper footballer not a bombscare
  • Erskine - more effective this year (but not finished article yet)
  • Grehan - very acceptable (but not actually good - still last season he was as much good as Paul Keegan)
  • Plus Archie, Robbo, Rowson all back to their expected best.

If we can improve on the talent we have (Campbell, Erskine, Bannigan, Fraser etc...) at the same rate then we maybe onto something.

Only real disappointment is Cairney.

It's probably not down to one person... Maxwell could be responsible for improvements in defenders, Donnelly may be helping out the forwards - and experienced players like Archie and Rowson may be helping out too.

And it will also be down to the players themselves as well - nobody ever got better if they weren't willing to listen to others and work hard at improving their game.

Just to add, the quality of the youngsters coming through is apparently down in part to Cameron, Donnelly and Mcanamara (and occasionally Britton) who all work with them. That and whoever is scouting for us. Long may it continue ... it's the one thing at the moment that gives me a bit of optimism about Thistle.

Edited by Mr Bunny

It's probably not down to one person... Maxwell could be responsible for improvements in defenders, Donnelly may be helping out the forwards - and experienced players like Archie and Rowson may be helping out too.

And it will also be down to the players themselves as well - nobody ever got better if they weren't willing to listen to others and work hard at improving their game.

Just to add, the quality of the youngsters coming through is apparently down in part to Cameron, Donnelly and Mcanamara (and occasionally Britton) who all work with them. That and whoever is scouting for us. Long may it continue ... it's the one thing at the moment that gives me a bit of optimism about Thistle.

From what I've heard from some at the club Maxwell is extremely popular. He also does a lot of work with you youngeters at the club. Ian Cameron also does a superb job with the youngsters. Add to that , I personally feel we have one of the best if not the best goalkeeping coaches in the league in Hinchy, then having the 3 of these lads working at Firhill next season would seem to me to be a priority.

As for scout, is Bobby Dinnie not one of our main scouts?

I'm sure Jackie and Sid have also made hugh contributions but I feel their futures are away from Firhill.

I don't really know that much about the first team coaching arrangements at Firhill at the moment but various first team players just are playing that much better this year (could this be down to Ian Maxwell?).

Here's my list:

•  
  • Boyle - improved so much he's too good for us
  • Paton - now missed when he's not available (big bonus if he re-signs)
  • Hodge - genuine first team player, probably go on to better things (would be good to re-sign him)
  • Doolan - can hardly remember the light weight guy we had last year - big bag of goals
  • Kinniburgh - become a proper footballer not a bombscare
  • Erskine - more effective this year (but not finished article yet)
  • Grehan - very acceptable (but not actually good - still last season he was as much good as Paul Keegan)
  • Plus Archie, Robbo, Rowson all back to their expected best.

If we can improve on the talent we have (Campbell, Erskine, Bannigan, Fraser etc...) at the same rate then we maybe onto something.

Only real disappointment is Cairney.

The most improved players on your list, Boyle, Kinningburger and Doolan have all spent time at Clyde, coincidence?

All the others you've mentioned haven't improved much in their time here, if at all, by comparison.

The most improved players on your list, Boyle, Kinningburger and Doolan have all spent time at Clyde, coincidence?

All the others you've mentioned haven't improved much in their time here, if at all, by comparison.

May be that's the answer. Send the entire first team on one month loan deals to clyde throughout next season. They can all then see how bad things could actually be for each of them, they then come back, improve significantly and in season 2012/13 we canter the league. SIMPLES !!!!!!!

I agree that it's disappointing about Cairney this season. However, I understand he has an ongoing medical condition which has been hampering his football for quite some time now, which probably explains the poor season he has had. A real shame, as he was looking like a real good prospect 2 years ago.

I agree that it's disappointing about Cairney this season. However, I understand he has an ongoing medical condition which has been hampering his football for quite some time now, which probably explains the poor season he has had. A real shame, as he was looking like a real good prospect 2 years ago.

Hopefully he can put this season behind him and come back stronger and fitter for next season. We can't afford any passengers next season.