Summer Football?

twinny

The Women's Super League is starting tomorrow in England, with an 8 team league where they will play 14 games each between now and September. The FA are hoping that this can turn the women's game professional, and has already attracted a TV deal with 6 games wo be televised by ESPN.

This has me asking, if ESPN are willing to show semi-professional women's teams who currently attract crowds in the regions of hundreds in order to fill up the summer listings schedule, surely SFL matches are also of a high enough standard. Nobody will ever offer a TV deal when there is competition from the best leagues in the world, and the SPL, but this appears to be proof that there would at least be some financial incentive in moving to a summer league.

I've just found an article summarising some pros and cons of switching regarding the Welsh league, which would make more sense for them considering they compete with clubs in the English league system within their own country.

For me the only real downside would be the large volume of players at the end of their contracts facing the Christmas and New Year period unemployed and looking for work. Also the crowds probably wouldn't increase due to summer holidays and that, and this might disincetivise people from buying season tickets. I would love to be able to head to a game in the evening sun, following a few drinks in a beer garden, not needing to worry about how many layers I am wearing.

The Women's Super League is starting tomorrow in England, with an 8 team league where they will play 14 games each between now and September. The FA are hoping that this can turn the women's game professional, and has already attracted a TV deal with 6 games wo be televised by ESPN.

This has me asking, if ESPN are willing to show semi-professional women's teams who currently attract crowds in the regions of hundreds in order to fill up the summer listings schedule, surely SFL matches are also of a high enough standard. Nobody will ever offer a TV deal when there is competition from the best leagues in the world, and the SPL, but this appears to be proof that there would at least be some financial incentive in moving to a summer league.

I've just found an article summarising some pros and cons of switching regarding the Welsh league, which would make more sense for them considering they compete with clubs in the English league system within their own country.

For me the only real downside would be the large volume of players at the end of their contracts facing the Christmas and New Year period unemployed and looking for work. Also the crowds probably wouldn't increase due to summer holidays and that, and this might disincetivise people from buying season tickets. I would love to be able to head to a game in the evening sun, following a few drinks in a beer garden, not needing to worry about how many layers I am wearing.

All sensible.

As for your last point, that's me this evening.

Well, more precisely, it might be sunny, there'll be no bevvy, and I'll be well wrapped-up.

The Scottish Womens Premier League started a coulple of weeks ago. This will be their second summer season.

The reason the English Elite League season is short this time is the small matter of the world cup in Germany in June which England have qualified for. I think they see the Elite league as a way to prepare the National team players for that. It has the added bonus of getting more overseas players to play in it due to the short season and the money on offer.

The other inovation is has salary cap like American football to try and ensure no one team has all the best players.

So pay attention all of this might be coming our way soon....