Firhill Name The Year? 1960's?

stuthejag

Edit

also added this from Monday 21st March 1966 v Celtic 2-2, 1st Division @ Firhill.

Team was Niven, West, Muir, Cunningham, MacKinnon, Gibb, Mclindon, Roxburgh, Kilpatrick, McParland and Duncan

Goals by Duncan and Kilpatrick

Edited by Duncan

also added this from Monday 21st March 1966 v Celtic 2-2, 1st Division @ Firhill.

Not a single Jags player in sight, apart from somebody's backside and legs, after a 'tic player had been suitably banjoed.

I'm guessing among the tims: Tommy Gemmell, Ronnie Simpson, John Clarke, and Billy McNeil spewing his guts up.

Great picture; it looks like an etching!

Edited to add: Don't recognize the nancy-boy tim in the middle, or the referee who clearly fancies him.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Team was Niven, West, Muir, Cunningham, MacKinnon, Gibb, Mclindon, Roxburgh, Kilpatrick, McParland and Duncan

Charlie West was one of my childhood heros, mostly because he usually played in the reserves, which is where I hung out when the "big team" was away from home. Always wondered what became of him.

These days my memory is like that cheese with all the holes in it (what's it called again?), but I can't really recall Kilpatrick.

Taking another look at the first photo, and looking at the tenements near the stadium, pretty much all of Garscube Road and Maryhill Road right down to Georges X were like that, as were all the side streets (Raeberry Street, Springbank Street etc.). In other words, there were probably 10 times more people living very near to Firhill than there are now. It's not really surprising that our crowds have fallen away over the years; in fact it could be argued that we've done well to still be pulling in a couple of thousand every other week!

Charlie West was one of my childhood heros, mostly because he usually played in the reserves, which is where I hung out when the "big team" was away from home. Always wondered what became of him.

These days my memory is like that cheese with all the holes in it (what's it called again?), but I can't really recall Kilpatrick.

I can`t recall him either though the History says he was called Robin, played 16 games and scored two goals - the other one was against Dundee at Firhill in a 4-4 draw the previous season on 27/3/64. Charlie West, whom I do vaguely remember, played 14 times for the first team.

Edited by Duncan

WOW!!! My first ever Jags game, which I referred to recently in another thread.

On that very evening I was injected with Thistle serum and was, from that day onwards, irreversibly a Jags man.

Edited to add: I remember being told afterwards that the attendance was in excess of 30,000. Imagine that for and end of season Monday night league game theses days!

PS can anyone verify the attendance? Long shot, I know.

Edited by Blackpool Jags

WOW!!! My first ever Jags game, which I referred to recently in another thread.

On that very evening I was injected with Thistle serum and was, from that day onwards, irreversibly a Jags man.

Edited to add: I remember being told afterwards that the attendance was in excess of 30,000. Imagine that for and end of season Monday night league game theses days!

PS can anyone verify the attendance? Long shot, I know.

30,000 is the crowd given in the Official History book. Seems quite plausible for those days.