First Game Of Season

Big Dave

Anyone know when next season starts? Getting excited already!

Well first game this season was the 7th August so I assume next season it will be 6th August as that's the same week this year. 1st friendly last year was on 10th July so maybe we'll have on on the 9th but that might be different this year.

So how many times do we play Falkirk before September?

That is a complicated calculation which requires me to run an integral calculus program through my Colossus Computer. But at least 3 cup games are guaranteed plus the league games and maybe a pre-season friendly.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I still feel that the first competitive games of the season should be league cup sectional games. These used to be the ideal curtain raiser for the league campaign. This, of course, would require league reconstruction back to 18 or so teams in each of two divisions. Obviously for OF TV quota reasons that's a non-starter, but surely there's some other permutation that would facilitate this?

I still feel that the first competitive games of the season should be league cup sectional games. These used to be the ideal curtain raiser for the league campaign. This, of course, would require league reconstruction back to 18 or so teams in each of two divisions. Obviously for OF TV quota reasons that's a non-starter, but surely there's some other permutation that would facilitate this?

Maybe the League can convert the current three divisions into two 16-team leagues (adding a new team and having relegation/promotion from the new Div 2) - then you could have only 2 games a season against everyone and make up the shortfall with League cup mini leagues.

If you could make them regional (as far as possible) and could get some extra sponsorship then you could maybe offer some minor prize for the teams that came top of their sections. Also the SPL teams could come in after this so the possibility of getting a draw against a "bigger" team if you came top of your section might be an incentive.

OK I'm sure there's lots of details I haven't considered but they could work out. Why should the SLA have to wait for the SPL to improve things (the obvious answer is because they're useless but this is all just theory anyway).

Edited by Mr Bunny

Maybe the League can convert the current three divisions into two 16-team leagues (adding a new team and having relegation/promotion from the new Div 2) - then you could have only 2 games a season against everyone and make up the shortfall with League cup mini leagues.

If you could make them regional (as far as possible) and could get some extra sponsorship then you could maybe offer some minor prize for the teams that came top of their sections. Also the SPL teams could come in after this so the possibility of getting a draw against a "bigger" team if you came top of your section might be an incentive.

OK I'm sure there's lots of details I haven't considered but they could work out. Why should the SLA have to wait for the SPL to improve things (the obvious answer is because they're useless but this is all just theory anyway).

Totally spot on, but too sensible for the muppets that 'run' the show maybe.

The SPL starts on July 23rd too for some reason, that seems really early for them.

To do with European Championships next summer I imagine. Also were they not planning on starting earlier so that any potential winter disruption is easier to deal with.

Just found this: My link

July 23rd - League Challenge Cup, 1st round

July 30th - Scottish Communities League Cup, 1st round

August 6th - Start of 2011/12 Scottish Football League season

Taken from http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s49

The SPL starts on July 23rd too for some reason, that seems really early for them.

So, Queens Park, Clyde, Stirling, Dumbarton, all away, as 4 pre-seasons, one of them will get cancelled due to us drawing them in the challenge cup, then we will face Failkirk in the LC, and then have to play them the following week in the league.

Fantastic.