Anybody Use The 3 Phone Network?

Rid Skwerr

Planning to get Lady Skwerr a new phone for her forthcoming birthday (I know..... I'll probably live to regret it! ;) ) and was wondering if the Three phone and data coverage was any good around Glasgow. They seem to have the cheapest deals at the moment, but I don't need an ear-bashing if her Ladyship loses telephonic contact with the world on a regular basis. :unsure:

Any advice gratefully received.

Planning to get Lady Skwerr a new phone for her forthcoming birthday (I know..... I'll probably live to regret it! ;) ) and was wondering if the Three phone and data coverage was any good around Glasgow. They seem to have the cheapest deals at the moment, but I don't need an ear-bashing if her Ladyship loses telephonic contact with the world on a regular basis. :unsure:

Any advice gratefully received.

Does Lady Skwerr know you are looking for the cheapest phone around?

Cheapskate barsteward. :D

Albeit 5 or 6 years ago now, but I took out a 12 month contract with "3" and immediately regretted it. Not ONE of my incoming or outgoing calls was completed due to dropped signal even when I was standing still! I was told by "3" that it was due to the areas I lived and worked in! (At that time Hamilton and Wishaw). However I had the same problem wherever I went: various parts of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, Northumberland etc.

When I continued to complain I was advised by the nice call centre chap in Mumbai that I could buy out the remainder of my contract for £170. I was given 2 further different hand sets to try but each was the same in terms of signal loss. I ended up getting Trading Standards to sort it but it was a long process. In all I had 5 terrible months with that mob which left me realising that cheapest isn't always the best.

However I know a few folk who swear by "3" and have had no (or few) problems.

Does Lady Skwerr know you are looking for the cheapest phone around?

Cheapskate barsteward. :D

Hi Charlie - I see you're back from your adventures and giving me a kicking again!

I'm simply trying to find a network we can use "abroad" at less than £2 a minute because, let's face it, i'll be paying for it anyway!

:(:lol:

Hi Charlie - I see you're back from your adventures and giving me a kicking again!

I'm simply trying to find a network we can use "abroad" at less than £2 a minute because, let's face it, i'll be paying for it anyway!

On my 4200km trip through the Rockies and Prairies I was in "No service" areas most of the time. I had to use Pay Phones. You will be OK in the cities for mobiles but will find it difficult to find a pay phone as they are being withdrawn in the cities because most people use cell phones.

Best tow use two tin cans and a roll of twine. :D

My wife has one and the 3 signal in the house is crap - can't make calls but can receive texts. Internet hooks up to the house wireless modem and is fine. Seems to be a similar story when we visit friends with some limited coverage depending on area. Have been fed a "locally faulty mast" line for about 6-months.

On the plus side, think the deal she got was actually quite good. Quite enjoy sending her out to the garden (in the rain) to get a signal!

Quite enjoy sending her out to the garden (in the rain) to get a signal!

:clapping::lol:

Thanks to all you gentlepersons for the helpful advice.

It looks like it's a case of some networks are good in some locations and some in others.

"3" seems to be a bit of a Marmite company - you either love it or loath it!

I guess I'll just let the price decide..... :hypocrite:

Possible vodafon/t-mobile may be a better bet?

Im o2, but get no signal north of ardlui when i work a west highland, scotrail are now in talks of issuin vodafone mobiles as theyre all o2 and no signal in case of emergencies (ie the falls derailment)

You get to ride the West Highland and get paid - jammy sod! :D

I'm with T-Mobile and it's fine for voice but a data signal seems hard to find.

I wouldn't give vodafone the business - the tax-dodging barstewards!

The search goes on..... <_<

Edited to add -

In case any Android user is interested, I found this (free) App in the Market Place which, with your permission, will log the strength of your carrier's GSM signal anywhere you take the phone. Sensorly

The related web site adds your data to that of all other users and shows on a map the strength of signal for each of the carriers.

You can view this mapped data for all carriers on your phone for any area in the world where users of the app are recording data.

Around Gasgow it appears to show "3" as about the best for 3G signals, with the others having more extensive 2G (Voice only?) coverage.

I suppose the data is only as good as the number of users for each network but it is, at least, an "actual" finding rather than the networks' claimed coverage.

Edited by Rid Skwerr

Get a smartphone and use Skype.

Get a smartphone and use Skype.

Excellent idea ..... if you can find a WiFi location. :rolleyes:

A wee update to the Sensorly Android app mentioned in my last post-

Since I got the app, I've driven to Pollok, Possil and Clydebank (I get to go to all the poshest places) and I can see my results now showing on the Sensorly maps.

I know they're from my phone, because the routes I took had no info for T-Mobile (my carrier) before I went along those particular roads.

It gives you a wee warm glow knowing you're contributing to the commonwealth of t'Internet, even in a small way. :cheers:

This has got me thinking (no mean feat and I'll have to go for a wee lie down now).....

I'm going to treat my marital ogre to a shiny new phone from "3". Not a hope in hell of her ever getting through to me to bump her gums about whatever earth-shattering catastrophic disaster has taken place: like me forgetting to put the bins out.

Strike what I said about "3". Wonderful company. Love them.

Get a wifi locator app :P

Mmm - didn't know they existed! :blink:

Will definitely be getting me one a dem.....

Further thoughts on the "3" thing - I used my phone to scan for available networks in a few locations today and got O2, Orange, Vodaphone and T-Mobile showing up nearly everywhere.

The locations were - Anniesland, Hyndland, George Square and outside the "3" shop in Buchanan St. :sarcastic:

At no time did the phone find "3" coverage.

Think I'll give them a miss.