Dear Old Firm

cleveland steamer

While we are all gleeful that our league champions and runners- up are dumped out of Europe, yet again, it’s a terrible indictment on the whole of Scottish football.

What’s to be done about it? Nothing I suspect. And the fatal downward spiral will continue.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, for the diddy teams!

Speaking of diddies, just saw Doncaster on TV citing the problem as being the loss of money after Setanta folded. Followed by Levein claiming that there has never been a better time for young people to play football. Despair.

Hell mend them, this is the very same mo that knocked back SKY! :blink:

Aye, for the diddy teams!

Speaking of diddies, just saw Doncaster on TV citing the problem as being the loss of money after Setanta folded. Followed by Levein claiming that there has never been a better time for young people to play football. Despair.

Hell mend them, this is the very same mob that knocked back SKY! :blink: (sorry)

What has happened in that elapsed time that things have changed so drastically? Is the problem lack of money as Mark McGhee ( wrongly in my opinion) suggested or is something that has more to do with decline in the sport or in the society as well?

I feel somtimes that our football is just a reflection of our society and the way it's heading. Everything is the quick instant fix of gratification,instant fast food,instant fame,instant soloutions and the old firm especially want everything now.They're not prepared to wait on development of young local players they would rather have some slightly better than the rest average diddy mercanary and then wonder why they get pumped in Europen.I heard Mccoist after the game and he praised his playes for "rolling up the sleaves and getting stuck in"..........football talk from 40 years ago.

The bottom line is to be a great old firm manager you only need to be better than the other ugly sister and that's why they (we) have the football we do.

Hell mend them, this is the very same mob that knocked back SKY! :blink: (sorry)

Hmmm.... I find it amusing that a poster called "digger" is promoting Sky TV.

So what if they knocked back Sky? Would the extra million or so have made all that difference?

(That's a rhetorical question by the way, we all know clubs would have blown it on 3rd and 4th rate foreigners with very little improvement in the SPL. We need to forget about cash and get clubs bringing on more youngsters and fixing the infrastructure. But I won't be holding my breath ...)

The OF going out is a positive for Scottish football.

Lets all be honest its always the two of them who get the CL places so in turn they get all the revenue £10m pa. Now with that revenue gone their finances are not as good as they were, hopefully allowing them to be beaten by other teams. As they cannot attract they quality of player they wont and having to rely on standard scottish players.

A few defeats here and there in the league then the maybe able to be passed by other team for the CL Places. Then if the cycle of dispair (for them, glee for me!) continues teams like Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen/Dundee Utd might be able to get back in touch with them.

Doing so would hopefully bring out the latent support for these teams , mariganlise the glory hunters at the OF affect their crowds, their revenue drops again and they become only another two teams in scottish football.

Hopefull and unrealistic but i will always hate them and what they stand for and will always celebrate them get beat !!!!