This Weekend

lady-isobel-barnett

... and I know this Sunday has designated Challenge Cup games but wouldn't it be better playing a full SFL fixture card? Especially with the internationals being played at home.

Altho' I'm not at all enthusiastic about Friday night matches I'd rather we were playing a league game now rather than a Saturday in January or worse, some Tuesday night in January.

Play the stupid Challenge Cup games midweek then we'd have a choice of Friday night or Sunday to play our league fixtures. I'm willing to bet even at unorthodox KO times crowds would be no worse than any January Saturday. There also wouldn't be any SPL or premiership TV games to attract fans away from attending.

Further to that, keep a Saturday in January free and any postponed game could be played then rather than some perishing Tuesday night.

Come this winter we'll be no doubt be having the usual patter re summer football, winter shutdowns etc. With a usual lack of commonsense I don't feel the SFL help the case for the status quo.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Well thought out indeed, however the Powers that be are far too stupid to think along these lines. I'd certainly like to have a spare Saturday in January to chill out.

They`re not being stupid, it`s just that they`re hands are tied. This diddy cup is one of the few sources of income the SFL has and playing matches at weekends and at the opening of the season is their futile attempt at placating the sponsor and giving it some legitimacy

They`re not being stupid, it`s just that they`re hands are tied. This diddy cup is one of the few sources of income the SFL has and playing matches at weekends and at the opening of the season is their futile attempt at placating the sponsor and giving it some legitimacy

It's hardly a source of income. All it is - it's a way of letting the SFL say "Look we got you this cup competition, we're doing our job" when in fact it brings in less income than most clubs will lose playing in it, not to mention the nuisance of mid-week games and so forth. Your final point is quite correct of course.

... and I know this Sunday has designated Challenge Cup games but wouldn't it be better playing a full SFL fixture card? Especially with the internationals being played at home.

Altho' I'm not at all enthusiastic about Friday night matches I'd rather we were playing a league game now rather than a Saturday in January or worse, some Tuesday night in January.

Play the stupid Challenge Cup games midweek then we'd have a choice of Friday night or Sunday to play our league fixtures. I'm willing to bet even at unorthodox KO times crowds would be no worse than any January Saturday. There also wouldn't be any SPL or priemiership TV games to attract fans away from attending.

Further to that, keep a Saturday in January free and any postponed game could be played then rather than some perishing Tuesday night.

Come this winter we'll be no doubt be having the usual patter re summer football, winter shutdowns etc. With a usual lack of commonsense I don't feel the SFL help the case for the status quo.

the reason we dont play on the saturday with an early kick off is some off us are passionate about our country and go to hampden good idea if your an armchair supporter though!