Thistle - A West End Club?

Tom Stronach

Hadn't thought about this before but it is very rare you get talking to a Jags fan and they tell you there are from Maryhill.

Despite this, every old man in all the old boozers on Maryhill Road will delight in boring you to death with how they "used to go down Firhill years ago" and "keep an eye out for the Jags".

Hey! As an elderly person can I just butt in? Boring you to death is not and never is/was an ageist thing. Can I just point out that by far and large the most boring, pedantic devoid of humour posts on this website (and for that matter its previous incarnations) appear to emanate from persons of relatively tender years. And, sorry, I just realised that makes me kinda ageist.

But just while I'm on my high horse what's an "old boozer". I take it you mean a traditional pub? :unsure::)

Good post, Tom. Some interesting food for thought.

I'm not sure that the "luvvy" element really exists much more in Thistle than it does elsewhere. On the other hand, maybe it is exactly this marginal demographic advantage that has stopped us sliding further than we otherwise might have done?

What was the 'luvvy' element in our support? This I never understood. :thinking: Who are we referring to here? A handful of thesps who paid lip service to the West End? Bollocks! The last time I saw an actor (off the pitch) at Firhill he'd brought one of his Brookside pals with him. That must have been a decade ago.

I think this goes back to the 1950s and 1960s when the West End had a proper sense of itself as a university community. It has stuck and like the 'cuddly toy' label, it is completely undeserved.