The Walking Dead

thistle4tw

Bit of a random topic to bring up but this show currently airing on fx and is surprisingly good. Having Never been much of a horror fan myself I was surprised at how good it was when I decided to give it a shot. I'm merely bringing this up because I and a lot of folks I know were put off from watching it because we assumed it was more of the same zombie crap. However it isn't all the regular Romero film rubbish. It actually Makes you care about the characters and not gross you out with constant disemboweling gory scenes are surprisingly rare..... Blah blah going a bit off topic. This isn't intended to start a discussion merely to convince people to give it a bash and not dismiss it as the same old crap.

My girlfriend has been watching it, she loves it but I'm not that fussed. I didn't think the twist was that big a surprise, but I've not been watching it that closely so maybe it was a little easier to see without being engrossed in it. I am impressed with the English guys performance (can't remember his name), took me an IMDB search to check it wasn't some American actor who looked similar.

My girlfriend has been watching it, she loves it but I'm not that fussed. I didn't think the twist was that big a surprise, but I've not been watching it that closely so maybe it was a little easier to see without being engrossed in it. I am impressed with the English guys performance (can't remember his name), took me an IMDB search to check it wasn't some American actor who looked similar.

Andrew Lincoln. Aye the "twist" as to not give it away was on a cliffhanger for about 5 episodes so if you weren't following it it wouldn't have seemed that big of a deal. Shocked me enough though. :)

Been watching it since the start it's awesome.

And as much as I like it. I still think its amaxing they have managed to drag a Zombie apocalypse on for 2 series. And have been given the green light for a third. But then again they did manage to drag a plane crashing on a deserted island on for 6 series, making one of the greatest TV series of all time in the process.

Been watching it since the start it's awesome.

And as much as I like it. I still think its amaxing they have managed to drag a Zombie apocalypse on for 2 series. And have been given the green light for a third. But then again they did manage to drag a plane crashing on a deserted island on for 6 series, making one of the greatest TV series of all time in the process.

It's based on a comic which has just passed it's 100th issue. Lots of scope for even more series!!

Bit of a random topic to bring up but this show currently airing on fx and is surprisingly good. Having Never been much of a horror fan myself I was surprised at how good it was when I decided to give it a shot. I'm merely bringing this up because I and a lot of folks I know were put off from watching it because we assumed it was more of the same zombie crap. However it isn't all the regular Romero film rubbish. It actually Makes you care about the characters and not gross you out with constant disemboweling gory scenes are surprisingly rare..... Blah blah going a bit off topic. This isn't intended to start a discussion merely to convince people to give it a bash and not dismiss it as the same old crap.

There may be some crap zombie films out but Romero's are classics, particularly Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead (not the rubbish remake from a few years ago)

Back on topic, The Walking Dead is good television if a little predictable. Takes a bit of getting used to seeing Andrew 'Teachers' Lincoln in a Yank accent.

There may be some crap zombie films out but Romero's are classics, particularly Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead (not the rubbish remake from a few years ago)

Back on topic, The Walking Dead is good television if a little predictable. Takes a bit of getting used to seeing Andrew 'Teachers' Lincoln in a Yank accent.

They were allright it's just they became a little repetitive. I'm merely trying to say it appeals to a wider audience if you like. I'm put off from romeros films due to the constant scenes of disembowling and guts and gore. The walking dead has this too but on a more copeable scale. This is why me and my mates can sit and watch the walking dead withought getting fed up. In romeros filmsThere wasn't many shocks because almost everyone always dies. The walking deads shocks are stunning most of the time. I'm not saying they are rubbish I understand many people really enjoy them but I broughtthe walking dead up because I'm not a big zombie fan and the series has become just about my favourite show. anyway Romero or walking dead LONG LiVE THE ZOMBIES.......so to speak :)

convince people to give it a bash and not dismiss it as the same old crap.

:thumbsup2: Thanks for posting this. I have the whole of series 1 and all episodes of series 2 to date recorded. The Marital Ogre watched 5 minutes of the 1st episode and dismissed it out of hand saying it was just "gruesome crap". This meant I could only watch it when she was on night duty. However, I showed her your post and said "See? It's good. Try watching it!" End result is yet again the missus is hooked on a show and commandeers the remote every evening to catch up on something she shoulda got into in the first place! <_<

Crackin programme and tbh I don't mind watching it again.

:thumbsup2: Thanks for posting this. I have the whole of series 1 and all episodes of series 2 to date recorded. The Marital Ogre watched 5 minutes of the 1st episode and dismissed it out of hand saying it was just "gruesome crap". This meant I could only watch it when she was on night duty. However, I showed her your post and said "See? It's good. Try watching it!" End result is yet again the missus is hooked on a show and commandeers the remote every evening to catch up on something she shoulda got into in the first place! <_<

Crackin programme and tbh I don't mind watching it again.

Glad to hear it :)

They were allright it's just they became a little repetitive. I'm merely trying to say it appeals to a wider audience if you like. I'm put off from romeros films due to the constant scenes of disembowling and guts and gore. The walking dead has this too but on a more copeable scale. This is why me and my mates can sit and watch the walking dead withought getting fed up. In romeros filmsThere wasn't many shocks because almost everyone always dies. The walking deads shocks are stunning most of the time. I'm not saying they are rubbish I understand many people really enjoy them but I broughtthe walking dead up because I'm not a big zombie fan and the series has become just about my favourite show. anyway Romero or walking dead LONG LiVE THE ZOMBIES.......so to speak :)

The first 2 Romero films had no more gore than the current Walking Dead. Romero used his zombie movies as a political commentary of the day i.e Night of the Living Dead deals with themes such as racism, Dawn of the Dead was set in a shopping centre as a statement about consumerism and Day of the Dead was set in an underground shelter at the height of the Cold War.

I like the Walking Dead but it is decent television rather than being visionary as Romero's films are. It's worth noting that before Romero, the zombie genre didn't exist.

Each to their own though.

The first 2 Romero films had no more gore than the current Walking Dead. Romero used his zombie movies as a political commentary of the day i.e Night of the Living Dead deals with themes such as racism, Dawn of the Dead was set in a shopping centre as a statement about consumerism and Day of the Dead was set in an underground shelter at the height of the Cold War.

I like the Walking Dead but it is decent television rather than being visionary as Romero's films are. It's worth noting that before Romero, the zombie genre didn't exist.

Each to their own though.

I understand that the first too weren't terribly gory but giving that the Borders of society in films have increased in the past few decades would you not agree given the chance he'd have had 3 or 4 scenes of people being ripped apart. I,like you think romeros great for inventing the modern zombie but I was stating that the walking dead can appeal to more than Romero films can. I'm sure the folks earlier in the thread talking about family members viewing it as unmissable tv don't view romeros as something their family members would enjoy. I wasn't trying to bash Romero films just state that the walking dead was more viable for non zombie fans like maself.

I understand that the first too weren't terribly gory but giving that the Borders of society in films have increased in the past few decades would you not agree given the chance he'd have had 3 or 4 scenes of people being ripped apart. I,like you think romeros great for inventing the modern zombie but I was stating that the walking dead can appeal to more than Romero films can. I'm sure the folks earlier in the thread talking about family members viewing it as unmissable tv don't view romeros as something their family members would enjoy. I wasn't trying to bash Romero films just state that the walking dead was more viable for non zombie fans like maself.

Now that's much better than saying 'the usual Romero film rubbish' :thumbsup2:

Great thread. The Walking Dead still seems to be a little "under the radar" for most - it doesn't seem to be on the agenda during the usual water cooler chats at work. A shame, as it's a great study in human behaviour. With zombies :love:

Why do so few watch this, contrasted against the millions who watch X-Factor? Has our cultures collective IQ fallen that low? :angry:

Great thread. The Walking Dead still seems to be a little "under the radar" for most - it doesn't seem to be on the agenda during the usual water cooler chats at work. A shame, as it's a great study in human behaviour. With zombies :love:

Why do so few watch this, contrasted against the millions who watch X-Factor? Has our cultures collective IQ fallen that low? :angry:

I ask myself that question every time i see an advert for that x factor ****. only disappointing thing about the walking dead is ofcourse it's now off till February. Gutted! :(

• 1 month later...

potential spoilers if u havent watched up to 2nd season break...

Just watched every episode in a day and a half after being recommended by a friend. Was pretty addictive, some crackin tense moment, the first episodes of both series were excellent, but I found the 2nd series a bit of a drag. I like zombie movies, love playin resident evil yada yada, and i do like to get to know characters in a show instead of non stop action, but each episode was pretty much identical in the 2nd series I felt, too slow and repetitive, needs to pick up the pace when 2nd series restarts I reckon, get them the fook off that farm for a starter!

Anyone else think the portrayal of the best mate (cant mind his name) is a bit baffling. they're painting him out to be the kind of unstable psycho of the group, and yes he has his moments. But he speaks nothing but sense the whole way through, and they all make him out to be inhumane because he doesn't want to spend 5 days in the woods lookin for a wee girl we're all pretty sure is deed!!

And I bloody hate the wife, please let her die soon, sendin the wee korean guy to the chemists for her shit when she could go herself. The burd the wee korean guy is playin around with is amazin right enough.

It definitely has it's moments, but has had a poor start to 2nd season if u ask me, besides opening episode. Apparently the studio who make it are in dissarray, have fired people behind the scenes, and have no money as they also make mad men and are pouring their cash into that at the expense of the walking dead.

Intrigued to see how it is when it comes back in a few weeks.

As far as I can find anywhere on the web, I think you've got the US comeback mate, I think it restarts in the UK a week later? The 19th?

Yeah I hope to god they leave and freshen it up a bit.

There's some really funny blogs on it by an american tv critic (I think) his name is Andy Greenwald. If you google andy greenwald the walking dead theres a few funny blogs about how to improve it, and slagging off some of the more ridiculous parts of the show, good reading if ur a fan of the show.

• 4 weeks later...

absolute pish again. not holding out hope for the rest of this season! this show could be great and its totally feckin it up!

i counted one zombie in the whole episode, the one that stupid women hit in the car. rest of it is just more of the same as the last half series, moping about a farm talkin crap. how can u go for a drink during a zombie acopolypse!