The Norseman

macjag

Was in the norseman before the match that place could be used as a film location for any movie about squalor and depravation the funny thing is it had xmas deccys up and even they didn,t brighten the place up it must be the worst pub near a fitba ground in scotland maybe the uk.

If memory serves me well the bar was at one time down the stairs. Upstairs was in fact the function suite. :)

While the Norseman may be about as unwelcoming looking a hostelry as imaginable (makes the Clansman in Still Game look like Cheers) it's not that far off what was went for norm down these parts not so long ago. The now defunct Oban Bar and the West End in the Port were every bit its equal. Now the Black Cat in the 70s that was some pub! :thumbsup2:

The now defunct Oban Bar and the West End in the Port were every bit its equal. Now the Black Cat in the 70s that was some pub! :thumbsup2:

Point of trivial information.....

The Black Cat had two acid-etched glass windows on the front street and one was smashed in the war.

My old man worked for Kirks the glaziers just after he war, and he made a copy of the survivior to replace the lost one.

Don't know if both windows are still there.

I'll see your Black Cat and raise you The Bodega (in the former High Street).

Now that WAS a real wino's shop! :drink:

i love the norseman. greenock is the third world, but that's what makes it fun. the norseman is a good venue for a pre match 'game of pool'. the boys in there were always brand new wae me anytime i was down. it may be a bit of a slum, but its not the building that makes a pub, it's the people in it, and i'd say, anyone i met it there has been a gen up, stand up good guy.

Edited by The Mighty Quinn

The Norseman is a decent pub for what it does. As mentioned it serves a good pint and there is always a good bit of banter there, never seen any trouble in it. The pub itself I think is all right, I have certainly seen a lot worse, and the only really grim part of the pub I can think of is the stairs on the way up. The location (near the stadium - not Greenock) is big plus points too. It's these pubs that make good away days.