Engerlund World Cup

Tam

The sad truth however is that England will qualify for the second stage, in second place they will meet the winners of Germany's group which could be Slovakia, with the luck these guys get at the World Cup they will win tht and hey presto its quarter finals. No team has really impressed so far, with the possible exception of Argentina, mind you on performances only New Zeland have been worse!

France, surely.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sad truth however is that England will qualify for the second stage, in second place they will meet the winners of Germany's group which could be Slovakia, with the luck these guys get at the World Cup they will win tht and hey presto its quarter finals. No team has really impressed so far, with the possible exception of Argentina, mind you on performances only New Zeland have been worse!

Were you George W. Bush's foreign policy advisor?

Serbia are in Germany's group, Slovakia are in Italy's.

Jealousy is rife on this forum.

Damn right, I'm jealous of EVERY nation at the World Cup...but I don't want any other team to fail as much as I want England to. France goin out in the 1st stage would be fab because they should never have been there in the first place, Cameroon losing heavily to Holland would be great coz Id be in wi a good chance of winning the booby prize in the sweep at work (I also have Brazil so could be on for the double :)). I have English born sisters, I have lots of English relatives, I don't hate the English and I don't hate the English players (with the exception of John Terry and Ashley Cole)...so why do I want England to fail so much? The bloody pundits, media, commentators and the whole '66 garbage we still have to listen to that's why!

Going by your logic Santana, does that mean we Thistle fans revel in the misery of the Old Firm because we are jealous...even though we CHOOSE to support Thistle?

Damn right, I'm jealous of EVERY nation at the World Cup...but I don't want any other team to fail as much as I want England to. France goin out in the 1st stage would be fab because they should never have been there in the first place, Cameroon losing heavily to Holland would be great coz Id be in wi a good chance of winning the booby prize in the sweep at work (I also have Brazil so could be on for the double :)). I have English born sisters, I have lots of English relatives, I don't hate the English and I don't hate the English players (with the exception of John Terry and Ashley Cole)...so why do I want England to fail so much? The bloody pundits, media, commentators and the whole '66 garbage we still have to listen to that's why!

Going by your logic Santana, does that mean we Thistle fans revel in the misery of the Old Firm because we are jealous...even though we CHOOSE to support Thistle?

If we had won the World Cup at some point, our media would be just the same. I actually think that this year there has been less 1966 stuff than there usually is.

Partly, yes. It's the same with Dundee to an extent. They can afford to buy players, pay them decent and wages and, bar Rangers, actually have money. We would love our club to be in that position, there's no denying it.

pondering the question of jealousy.

the english fa is spending six million pounds a year on a manager, who's squad comprises some of the best playing talent in the world and is drawn from one of the best leagues in the world. of the many opinions and feelings i have heard expressed towards the english selection in this past week, personally, on discussion boards and in the media, jealousy is not even in the bandwidth.

If we had won the World Cup at some point, our media would be just the same. I actually think that this year there has been less 1966 stuff than there usually is.

Yes and the English would be the same about it as we are now, that's football rivalry for you.

Partly, yes. It's the same with Dundee to an extent. They can afford to buy players, pay them decent and wages and, bar Rangers, actually have money. We would love our club to be in that position, there's no denying it.

Yes I would love my Club to be better off financially but that is completely different to being jealous of other Clubs who can spend more money get into more debt than us. Jealousy doesnt come into it for me, if it did then why do I choose to support Thistle and not another Glasgow Club who are considerably richer than us and a lot more successful?

Edited by Steven H

I disagree. France, Italy, England... and don't get me started on Australia :lol:

Edited by NZ Jag

Pathetic play from England in the last few minutes. Instead of taking that corner and try to score another goal they hide the ball at the corner flag.

But USA wins against Algeria so IF Germany wins later this evening it's England - Germany in the round of 16. :)

Pathetic play from England in the last few minutes. Instead of taking that corner and try to score another goal they hide the ball at the corner flag.

Nothing pathetic about it - if it was Scotland that's exactly what I'd want us to be doing.

Well done England. If nothing else it means that I'll get to see the hot little crumpet from the office in an England shirt and skirt again...

Edited by Mediocre Pundit

A rather strange avatar for someone supporting the Germans considering the hatred between them and the Dutch.

My joy of having the English beaten outweighs any other issues at the moment :lol: Other rivalries will have to wait their turn. All in good time B)

Its amazing how their pundits changed their tune after one win, I didnt think they were so great, Slovenia were rotten, every freekick went straight to James and the amount of times Slovenia players overhit passes or miscontrolled the ball was , well it was like a saturday at firhill, oh and I reckon Glenn Johnston could easily have been sent off by a tougher ref, particularly as it looked like a foul by him at the end just before Upson's block.

Typically theyl get Ghana or serbia in next round, but them v Germany is a game it love to see.

Nothing pathetic about it - if it was Scotland that's exactly what I'd want us to be doing.

If Scotland were there we wouldn't be blathering on about winning the fecking competition. What's pathetic is this team of media labelled 'champions' playing keep the ball against Slovenia...

I mean, there's 'pundits' on the radio discussing them now beating Spain, Brazil, Germany... AYE RIGHT

A rather strange avatar for someone supporting the Germans considering the hatred between them and the Dutch.

Hatred? Yes, that's what it was once. But it now has cooled down to a not so serious "mocking and taunting", luckily. ;)

Well, although small consolation, I'm glad I got my prediction of them getting to the Quarter Finals right. I hope they appreciate that it ends there.

Never known ficklety like it; zeros to heroes in a breath: there's obviously such a fine line between nearly bolloxing it in the event's biggest group of death and reigning supreme as undisputed world masters.

Hopefully the Krauts will have more than a bit of a say in this acid trip of lifetime for them.

'Delusional' doesn't begin to describe their misguided belief in their destiny.

Preferred outcomes:

1) Krauts by a mile

2) Krauts in a nail-biting penalty shoot-out.