Grasping The Thistle Bbc Documentary - Help

Sorry folks for coming into the forum and asking for help, but wasnt sure where to go. I will try and make the plea as easy as possible to understand lol. Basically I am looking for a a copy of the above documentary that was on the bbc some time ago. I am a youth worker at Perth Grammar School, and a young lad I work with came in with an amazing story...

He was on the train a few weeks ago, reading his St.Mirren programme and over heard a couple of men sitting opposite him talk about the St.Mirren strip, Him being him, butted in and said - here is a picture here, pretty gash eh. Any hoo, it turned out the men opposite were Partick fans. They all got talking and he had mentioned that when he was wee his uncle bought him and his Dad season tickets for Partick and this was the time when the were going through the leagues. They got onto the mention that the young lad loved them times when he went with his dad. The men then mentioned a documentary that was on the BBC highlighting the teams achievement. It was also mentioned that a young lad with his Dad who were St.Mirren supporters where in the changing rooms before a game, highlighted in the documentary..The lad asked if the lad in the film had a big stupid hat on -- YES HE DID, he also asked if the man with the kid had crutches YES HE Did...too is delight, it was him and his Dad who appeared for about 45 seconds in the film......He then went home and you-tubed it and seen this for his own eyes,,,This young lads Dad is no longer with is, and for the past few years he has been in a foster home in Perth...Its a great story and the young lad has had great delight telling staff amongst the School.... This happens to be the only footage he has of his Dad when he was alive

Any hoo, sorry for the babble on, and i hope people can get the jist of the story,, what i am trying to do is get a hold of the dvd / footage of the documentary so I can give him it. He leaves School soon, and i thought it would be a nice leaving present.

hope someone can help

scott cmapbell

I am sure I have a copy of it at home.

I am also sure that the father & son sat just in front of us at Firhill during that time but my memory of the Grasping the Thistle programme may be playing up. I will dig it out over the next few days and try and get a copy made. I'll then PM you if that is ok.

I am also sure that the father & son sat just in front of us at Firhill during that time but my memory of the Grasping the Thistle programme may be playing up. I will dig it out over the next few days and try and get a copy made. I'll then PM you if that is ok.

Hi Thanks for the info, we have seen it on youtube, but wouldnt mind a hard copy, cant get it donwloaded on school pc, - thanks for the help on this,

sc

Nice one. A former poster on here, or the older forum - known as the Next Big Thing - posted that he had made copies of GTT. He kindly supplied me with one, and that's how I got to know him. I think he still goes to the games.

Anybody on here know if big Donny still uses the forum, maybe under a different username? I'm sure he'd be happy to oblige.

I'm pretty sure I was on the train with the folk this lad was talking to. It wouldn't happen to have been the train we got home from the Accies game to Partick? We got into conversation with a young guy with a St. Mirren programme on that train!

thats probably you bud, he came into my office, all emotional telling me the story - think the story i told wasnt as good as his one in my office lol, but yes, it all stemmed from a programme he had and a conversation bout the new strip

This the first time I have seen it. It was great. I remember in the mid 70s the BBC were given complete freedom of Firhill for a similar doc. The final broadcast showed a full frontal of a nude Brian Whittaker sauntering casually across the dessing room. Wee Bertie was not amused.

S

This the first time I have seen it. It was great. I remember in the mid 70s the BBC were given complete freedom of Firhill for a similar doc. The final broadcast showed a full frontal of a nude Brian Whittaker sauntering casually across the dessing room. Wee Bertie was not amused.

I remember that programme i was a ballboy at the time of filming. Seem to remember the cameras coming into dressing room area after the game all the ballboys were cheering as Whittaker had scored a last minute winner against the h*ns . Happy days.

plenty of help going on here,,,great - is there a place to buy old programmes too,

thanks

sc

Robert Reid (club historian) deals with old programmes, if there's a specific game you wanted then he can check if he has it, or there's various unsold programmes from the last few seasons about.