The Bundesliga

ian_mac

Watched highlights of the Bundesliga tonight on ITV4.

For me it's the best league in the world.

1. Financially Bayern have a clear advantage but they don't always win the league, Dortmund destroyed them last year. Apart from that the teams are fairly well matched.

2. The stadia - lots of terracing, and even though many of them are modern, you can tell that atmosphere has figured heavily in the design of the grounds - take note Bill Barr.

3. The fans - outstanding displays of passion. Banners everywhere, stadiums bouncing to a man, the singing doesn't stop.

Really need to organise a trip over there for a game this year.

It has been the best league in Europe and one of the best in the world for a good few years.

Everything about it is class. The authorities listened to the fans and look at the game over there now. Has to be one of the best leagues from a value for money perspective too.

I'd love to see a game in the massive terrace in Dortmund's stadium.

Recently many Japanese players have moved to Deutschland.

One of them is SAKAI Gôtoku (Stuttgart). He has played for Japan's U-23 team, but has not been capped by the full national team.

There is a problem. That is he is eligible for Deutschland, because his mother is a German.

A few weeks ago Japan had an Kirin Challenge Cup game against Venezuela. Japan's coach, Zaccheroni, called him but did not field him. So he is still eligible for Deutschland.

I think that there is a lack of communication between Zaccheroni and the JFA. The JFA should have told Zaccheroni that SAKAI Gôtoku must be capped because he can be stolen by Deutschland.

However, some German politicians are pointing at the all-seated stadiums in the UK and saying that's the way to go. :no: There are no problems with policing, and beer is on sale in the grounds - again, with no problems. However, German politicians are keen on telling the Greeks how to be good Europeans, too. :doh:

I've been a couple of times to see 1FC Union in Berlin (Bundesliga II).

A great match experience and quite different to Scottish football.

A wee ground but with three sides of terracing - crowds at both games ~12000. Packed. Takes much longer to get in due to security, but very well set up and no sense of frustration. 12 euros I think to get in. Wonderful atmosphere.

Other contrasts:

- The crowd sang for virtually the whole 90 minutes. A variety of songs, often orchestrated by a couple of people (we would probably call them 'bampots') who looked more at the crowd than the game.

- The stewards were very strict on the stairs and the areas surrounding the terraces. But inside they simply left one aisle open and there was a real feeling of this being the crowd's space rather than a controlled or penned area.

- Beer was on sale throughout the match. People smoked. Beer was sold (and bought) after the final whistle. But there were still lots of families. And some drank a LOT. No sense of trouble or embarrasing anti-social behaviour.

- The crowd's attitude. Both games saw Union go behind - one very early on. I expected the usual 'lull' and lots of people getting on the player's backs. Never happened. Not even when their striker missed a couple of sitters. One game was lost and the other a draw (which was a disappointment). No sense of "I've paid my money I have the right to boo my team", more, "I'm here to support my team". Refreshing and hugely easy for neutrals to get caught up in it.

- The quality on the park. Players technically gifted, playing direct and exciting football. Not 'tippy tappy', but definitely not 'blood and snotters'.

This was in the lower end of the German lower league in a rather old East German stadium. But I understand it isn't atypical there.

Why can't we have the same? I suspect the issues preventing us are now deep rooted and cultural. We don't accept change easily, and have a thorough cynicism.

Love to get a pre-season game over there, though...

Mr Scruff mentioned something that is markedly different - the price. (However, that applies to other forms of entertainment in Germany too, such as orchestral music.)

Both Bundesliga and (much) lower leagues do have a sense of fun and occasion at matches. Maybe the weather has something to do with it, or having working life more restricted, both in the sense that greater commitment is demanded and that it is not allowed to interfere with family/free time to the same extent as here.

In Germany , the atmosphere is simply like no other. The terracing obviously helps a lot. Many new stadia have been put up, all with terracing that can be altered fopr UEFA matches. Most grounds have the turnstiles set back a bit from the stadium and have a large concourse before you go in the actual stadium (a bit like Murrayfield). This encourages fans to get to the ground early and enjoy the bars that exist. It leads much more to pre-match atmosphere rather than waiting til the last minute in the boozer like we have to in the UK.

The football is actually not that great. Very much counter-attacking in stayle. Only the mighty FSV Mainz 05 and Dortmund (where the trainer used to manage the mighty FSV Mainz 05..!) play along the lines of the EPL. Most teams are awash with eastern european players because they are cheaper...

You might have guessed my German team is Mainz by the way! FC Cologne is a joke, much to my amusement..!

I was at a st pauli game and was standing next to two rubbish transvestites at the game. no one batted and eye. Atmosphere was amazing, everyone just out to enjoy the football. Also the stadiums in the middle of the red light district. That was some effective multi tasking.......

Have had a season ticket (terracing behind goals) at Hanover 96 for a couple of years now. This year the cost went "up" to €180.

Also included in the cost is free local transport (buses, trains, trams) on matchday (2-3 hours before kick-off, up till midnight after the game).

As most have mentioned the atmosphere is much better. This, in my opinion, isn't just purely because of terracing and beer, but the fact that the overall occupancy of the stadiums in general is very high.

Although you do get a large number of glory hunters following Bayern or Dortmund, there is still very much a follow your local team attitude which contrasts sharply with the OF lemming type behaviour prevalent in a lot of Scottish towns.