5-0 At Half Time

Watson Towers

• Members

I thought that Lawrie got our second goal at the very least. Wrong for over 40 years! :shok:

Looks like you're right. According to the ET match report in the post below yours, Bobby scored Thistle's third. Saying that, I'm not sure of the accuracy of that report anyway. I don't really recall us wearing red shorts with the white tops in those days. I always remember it being black shorts.

Estimated Attendance 9,000. I find that a little hard to believe, but changed days nonetheless.

In those days, and particulary during that season, I'd say our average home crowds (excluding visits by the OF) were around the 7-8,000 mark. So maybe the 9,000 figure for the Motherwell game isn't too far out.

It was a dreich shitey day with swirling rain spells which made the surface very greasy and Denis even more unplayable than usual.

I have retrieved my scrapbook of newspaper cuttings for Season 71/72 and my copy of the Jags Mag from the attic. I can confirm that the second goal was a header by Denis McQuade who also scored the eighth with an overhead kick. As a fashion note for Willjag, although the photos are Black & White , it looks like the usual red shorts with a black stripe at the side. Pictures are a bit grainy but Firhill looks well filled - could well have been 9000.

It was a fantastic game...Motherwell were still level after an hour...and 5-2 down after 67 minutes!

Some interesting quotes - Tom Forsyth of Motherwell( later of Rangers & Scotland) - "Coulston & Bone destroyed us and the rest poured through the gaps"

Frank Coulston on his partnership with Jimmy Bone - " It's almost like telepathy"

The Reporter rated it the Entertainment Act of the Year.

Glory Days!

Edited by Winter of '63