Just A Few Questions...

I am a Media Student at Cardonald College and have been tasked with writing a piece for radio about Partick Thistle.

It's not a profile of the team, more a tale of their relationship with Glasgow, the Old Firm and a bit on their great start to the season. I have been watching Thistle intermittently for years now, but would not profess to be an expert of the club, therefore I need someone far more experienced to help me write some good copy about the club.

Below is some questions I'd love to be covered. You don't need to answer them all but write as much or as little as you like.

Feel free to expand and explain anything you think is necessary. Also, my piece centres around my experience at the Dunfermline game at the weekend, so your thoughts on that would also be helpful.

I'd really appreciate any help you can give me. Genuinely, it's proven harder finding fans willing to spare a moment of their time than I thought it'd be! I that it can be annoying to fill these things out but I only have nice things to say about the club and its fans. Not that it'll ever be published though!

Questions

What's it like supporting Partick Thistle? What's in the psyche of a Jags fan?

What is your most treasured memory of being a Thistle supporter?

What are your feelings towards the Old Firm? Especially the Rangers debacle.

Thistle are top of the league and in a cup final. How do you feel about how the season is progressing? What's changed this year? Will there be success at the end of it?

Finally, what are your thoughts after the game against Dunfermline at the weekend?

Cheers,

Callum Tyler

[email protected]

@cal_tyler

http://www.gibfootballshow.co.uk/2011/01/glasgows-other-team/

http://jenslehmannsterms.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/they-dont-play-in-blue-they-dont-play.html#more

Questions

What's it like supporting Partick Thistle? AGONY What's in the psyche of a Jags fan? MADNESS

What is your most treasured memory of being a Thistle supporter? 23 OCTOBER 1971

What are your feelings towards the Old Firm? Especially the Rangers debacle. THEY ARE AN INEVITABILITY - STRANGELY BECOMING MORE AND MORE EXTREME WHILST THEIR IRISH/ULSTER RAISON D'ETRE IS SEEMINGLY GETTING BETTER

Thistle are top of the league and in a cup final. How do you feel about how the season is progressing? What's changed this year? Will there be success at the end of it? THEY WILL NOT BE PROMOTED AND WILL LOSE THE RAMSDEN CUP FINAL - HA GOT YOU!! THEY MIGHT GET SOME KIND OF SUCCESS BUT WILL STILL BE SEEN AS AN IRRELEVANCE - NO HATRED AND BIGOTRY TO JUSTIFY THEIR EXISTENCE AND A LIMITED GEOGRAPHICAL PULL IN A CITY POLLUTED BY THE OLD FIRM CLUBS (OLD AND NEW)

Finally, what are your thoughts after the game against Dunfermline at the weekend? IT'S THE CUP - OUR MAJOR SUCCESSES IN THE CUP RECENTLY HAVE BEEN HOME WINS AGAINST CULTER AND COVE - WE JUST DON'T DO THE CUP.

BEST OF LUCK IN YOUR STUDIES

• Like 2

If you're going to write for radio, remember to include background effects. Perhaps you can get some from the club or the SFL - sounds from the crowd (especially recently). Another source might be several songs that feature Partick Thistle. Ask on here, and I'm sure you'll get some good advice. So much for the media; now for your questions.

It has been longsuffering, in part down to recent ups and downs (particularly downs), but also due to the patronising attitude of many in Glasgow, particularly those that do not actually pay any attention to football but somehow see themselves as entitled to sneer on the basis that they belong to a tribe of hangers-on of one or other of the Old Firm clubs. The astonishing violence and paranoia among Old Firm supporters is, by and large, notable for its absence among Jags supporters.

Not a public incident, but more of a process: introducing my sons to supporting Glasgow's only senior professional club that rejects any form of bigotry. That is not a small achievement in the hothouse of fervent tribalism that permeates this city.

To answer the latter first: Hell mend 'em! They are the unacceptable face of football, to steal Edward Heath's comment. Comparing them with any major European football club is a waste of time, since there is no equivalent. If these allegiances were not so entrenched in the media and the Scottish establishment, any reasonable authorities would have had them closed down long ago. In footballing terms, they are the maggot that is eating the apple of Scottish football from the inside - sucking all the goodness out of it (in terms of money) while giving nothing back, and even threatening to fly off at the first opportunity.

Thistle are top of the league and in a cup final. How do you feel about how the season is progressing? What's changed this year? Will there be success at the end of it?

I can't predict the future, but two things spring to mind: the football management team of Jackie McNamara and Simon Donnelly has been very successful despite their managerial inexperience, but also in large part due to having sound off-field support in the form of Ian Maxwell, who has moved smoothly from playing football to managing the club's off-field activities - a masterstroke by the new board. There may or may not be success this season, but there are certainly the signs of an attractive, forward-thinking approach to playing football not just in the first team but also throughout the club's teams. This is indicated by increasing crowds and also by the players that could earn more elsewhere being so keen to stay and benefit from the atmosphere and training at Partick Thistle. This even goes for apparently temporary employees, such as Graeme Smith, who was quickly drafted in to fill an unexpected gap.

Finally, what are your thoughts after the game against Dunfermline at the weekend?

It's not reasonable to expect to win every match. If German officials had been in charge of that game, the opposition would have been reduce to 8 or 9 players by the end of the match, but a First Division football club cannot expect any special indulgence from officials such as recognition of how football is developing everywhere else in Europe. :hypocrite: Since the current management team is set on playing the right way without recourse to the kind of crude tactics that have tended to win the First Division in previous years, then there will be setbacks as attitudes among fans, officials and opponents will only change slowly. However, the current policies are making the Partick Thistle team into the most enjoyable team to watch in Scottish football: long may it continue!

It's tortuous a lot of the time. But that just makes the high points feel even better.

Beating St. Mirren at Love Street in 2002 to win the league.

The glib answer - **** them. Glasgow would be a happier place without the sectarianism which these teams represent. FTOF.

Great season so far, the players are all working hard and McNamara is clearly commited to having them play attractive passing football. Will there be success? The question reminds me of one of the closing remarks in a club history I read: "Will it be Thistle's season this year? Of course not!". But I'm hopeful, and enjoying the ride.

I've seen Thistle lose a few games this season, and each time it's been clear that the players have been giving it everything. At each defeat I've applauded them from the park. They are playing good football, trying hard, and Dunfermline were lucky. With us down to 10 men, they were still wasting time and playing cynical fouls. I'll take pumping them 5-1 in the league, and they can have their lucky cup win.

You have to be able to accept that things won't always go well, but that makes the good times even more special. It's a small, but exceptionally loyal, community which is great to be part of.

Probably when I returned to supporting after a few years. It was like coming home, even though things weren't going well at the time.

What are your feelings towards the Old Firm? Especially the Rangers débâcle.

I have no time for the baggage which comes with both of them, but I'm friends with fans of both sides and they're good people. Unfortunately, a minority of morons ruin things. The Rangers saga was entertaining to say the least.

It's a good season and I believe we can go all the way, but there are plenty of tests to come. We need to deal with teams digging in and defending, but if we do that then only an exceptional team will stop us. The change hasn't been monumental, but we're much more of an attacking threat this season, with players who are unplayable when on form.

We were unfortunate and deserved something from it, but these things happen and, to use a cliché, we really can focus on the league.

Questions

1. What's it like supporting Partick Thistle? What's in the psyche of a Jags fan?
  2. What is your most treasured memory of being a Thistle supporter?
  3. What are your feelings towards the Old Firm? Especially the Rangers debacle.
  4. Thistle are top of the league and in a cup final. How do you feel about how the season is progressing? What's changed this year? Will there be success at the end of it?
  5. Finally, what are your thoughts after the game against Dunfermline at the weekend?

Being a thistle fan sets you apart from others in the city, in both negative and positive ways. As already said fans of the bigger Glasgow clubs think they're better people as a result (quite the reverse being true, of course). We truly appreciate the ups as we've seen so many downs over the years. It's hard work being a fan of any lower division Scottish club, but with thistle there is an identity that comes with it. From being the "atheists team" to our distinctive colours and eccentric fans we are a very different club to the others in the city.

In secondary school I used to play Football up at Firhill Complex on Friday afternoons. One week on the way some ned decided it would be a laugh to jump me. I arrived at the complex bruised and in tears, but one of the members of staff saw me alright. It was Gavin Duncan, a guy thistle had signed from the juniors while we were part time in division two. He looked after me and got my strip signed by the rest of the squad. Afterwards I'd forgotten all about being jumped as I was so happy to have been sitting chatting with a thistle player, not something that would have happened with other clubs.

Where to begin? They've been using bigotry to stir up support for decades and use their strength to the detriment of the rest of the Scottish clubs. The trickle down they claim their relative wealth brings does not occur. The recent debacle shows just how corrupt Scottish football can be. To the casual observer (i.e. those not usually interested in football or those from down south) it looks like "Rangers" were punished when in fact they were fast tracked into the league set up without going through the proper application process.

This season is one of the best I've experienced as a thistle fan. The type of football we're playing and the number of goals we're scoring is incredible. I look forward to the weekends more than ever, even if it's just to know the result or anticipate the highlights a few days later as I live down south. Friends down here notice how well we're doing and comment if they see me soon after the weekend. Being a thistle fan there is a part of me saying not to get overexcited, it'll be another let down, however it's hard not to get excited when you look at the results. And with the Challenge Cup, it's a trophy we've never won and in fact never really been close bar a couple of semi-final let-downs. I think it helped us put some good form together early in the season and I've wanted us to win it for the past few years, so I'm pretty happy.

I wasn't there, but I'm disappointed to be out the cup. I love the Scottish Cup, but when we have the league to think about then I don't stay down about it too long. The recent league game where we won 5-1 against them was more important. We have a cup final to look forward to, so a run in the Scottish Cup would just be a bonus.

Questions

1 - What's it like supporting Partick Thistle? What's in the psyche of a Jags fan?

2 - What is your most treasured memory of being a Thistle supporter?

3 - What are your feelings towards the Old Firm? Especially the Rangers debacle.

4 - Thistle are top of the league and in a cup final. How do you feel about how the season is progressing? What's changed this year? Will there be success at the end of it?

5 - Finally, what are your thoughts after the game against Dunfermline at the weekend?

1 - It's just great. Certain types just can't understand that beating Cowdenbeath to book a place in the Ramsdens cup final or humping Dunfermline 5-1 genuinely does give you that world beating feeling and puts a spring in your step for days after.

2 - Probably Love Street promotion

3 - Old firm: Horrible clubs (or are they companies??) with horrible fans.

Rangers/Sevco debacle: Hilarious. The fact that no matter how much they try to dress it up, they are forever tarred with the word "Liquidated" is enough for me. Years of having to listen to all the "We arra peepo!" etc crap and now the only thing that has to be uttered in reply is "Aye, but you were liquidated" is brilliant. H*n baiting has always been enjoyable but now you can reduce them to visible seethe with one word. As someone mentioned above, they still manage to scew the whole saga as some nationwide anti-Rangers agenda, even though it's blissfully ignored that they were fast-tracked to admission to the SFL.

4 - This season has been great so far, on and off the park. For me, the best thing is the way the team are playing. We've had to endure some real crap in recent times and to have older fans comparing this team to the 71 era team, I think speaks for itself. We could be top of the league playing the way recent 1st Division winners such as Ross County, Hamilton and Inverness have (i.e. solid, hard to beat) and while it would still be good, I just love the way the team is shaped to attack and score goals. I think we'll win the league and in true Thistle style win the cup on penalties after scraping a draw in 90 minutes and extra time.

5 - I was gutted after the game because I wanted a cup run and a crack at an SPL team or two but on reflection we more than matched Dunfermline for over an hour with ten men and if that is the best the Pars have got then we have nothing to fear from them.