What's The Difference Between Rowson Leaving And Mcnamarra Leaving

Lenziejag

I'm having great difficulty taking this question seriously, is it just another excuse to have, in my view misguided pop at Jackie's perceived moral defects? In football theres been comings and goings since the day it was proffessionalised, if not indeed before. Thus I see nothing unique in MacNamara's departure. For goodness sake get over it and concentrate on supporting the interim management team and supporting the team as they try to win the league.

Only your opinion I suppose but folk are quite right to be pissed off..but to coin a cliche time is a great healer..once we have our first victory under our belt the upset and ill feeling will diminish...until then it will be ranted about...Personally I'm quite happy folk are still pissed off as I know I am.

Anyway back to the OP....The guys obviously having a rum and coke!

I notice you guys are only answering the questions you want to answer.

There have been loads of people that have left Thistle at the wrong time and don't get the abuse that is being handed out just now. Notable ones for me are Lambie and Archie, Jimmy Bone, but now are well regarded

I would imagine that plenty of people were RAGING at Lambie when he left, as well as the others. However these events happened either in the earlier days of the internet or well before then.

But when Lambie went to Falkirk - I have no doubt whatsoever that the next time he came to Firhill he was given absolute dog's abuse by at least a minority of the crowd. I'm sure someone will confirm this.

Time heals all wounds though, so in hindsight, with all the success he brought to Thistle, 'transgressions' of his and Archie's have faded in their pain. If we go on to win silverware this season people will completely forget McNamara, until the next time we play United of course, when many will give him pelters. Many will probably not. At the moment people are still pretty raw - and the uncertainty of where this season is going is I'm sure, causing a lot of anxiety.

Instead of simply asking questions which many are interpreting as no more than an attempt to stir (and that's why you are getting mocking and ridiculing answers - if you cannot see that and continue to insist on being "disgusted" - then you need to have a serious think) ... perhaps you can explain your own position. Perhaps then there could be some sort of discourse ...? Or are you simply using Socratic questioning and are unhappy with the answers?

Why do you think there is no difference? Are you completely sanguine about both departures?

Obviously most people think you are taking the piss and pretending to be wilfully ignorant. And if so, 10/10 for effort, you've hooked a fair few including me.

• Members

Lambie was given dog's abuse when he left for the "bigger Club with more ambition", Falkirk at the time for a considerable wage rise. A lot of folk didn't want him back the last time and initially it looked like a mistake by the Club to bring him back as we narrowly dodged dropping down to the very lowest level I've ever seen us. However, he rebuilt, and the rest is history!

This season, Rowson hasn't been missed and after many years good service, goes with everyone's best wishes as he wont have a baring on the remainder of the season. Had he gone to one of our 1st Division opponents, things may well have been very different.

JM just seems to have grabbed the first opportunity to move up the ladder disappointing the Firhill faithful with the haste in which he did it. After his previous good work with the Club, the manner in which he has gone about it has left a sour taste with the majority of those associated with the Club.

The situation with the likes of Harkins and Tuffey to a certain degree in recent seasons is slightly different because in Thistle's more recent history, very few players have left the Club to go on to bigger things with a rival and booing a good former player when he turns out for the opposition isn't just a Thistle thing I'm sure!

• Like 1

My view is that football is such a fickle business,particularly for managers, that they need to take the opportunity when it comes along. They can't live on what if's. how do you think Terry Butcher is feeling just now. A week or 2 after turning down a massive offer, his team have lost 3 in a row and are out of 2 cups. And his team may just disappear in the league. I think that Rowson got the send off he deserved because he gave his services to PT but I don't agree with the bile directed at JM.

Somewhere in amongst all this the original poster does have a point. Who are we to judge what is a better option for someone else's career? Rowson feels that playing regularly at a part-time club is best for him at this stage in his career, and I would agree. But what happens if we have a serious injury/experience crisis with 3 games to go, and could have used him in games which we subsequently lose?

McNamara clearly feels United is a better option for his career as a manager than Thistle - it may not work out that way, but there are many reasons for him to think so. There's a fair to decent chance Thistle won't be in the SPL next season, it is more money in a business not known for its stability and financial security, and he will be in the SPL with a bigger club with more money and better players.

The question involving this example is probably the wrong one at the time, because feelings about McNamara are still raw whereas Rowson is now very well regarded by the fans, and rightly so, although it certainly hasn't always been this way.

• Like 1

Great question, I have never understood the logic that some ex players are cheered (Mark Roberts) and others booed (Gary Harkins).

Was Harkins not cheered before the game and given a "Thanks for what you did" clap before being booed during the game(as he was an opposition player)?

That's my philosophy on it. I'd applaud a player before the game if I think he deserves a "Cheers for the memories" applause, he then gets treated like every other opposition player during the game.

But what happens if we have a serious injury/experience crisis with 3 games to go, and could have used him in games which we subsequently lose?

We are covered in central midfield. Paton and Murray are experienced players plus we have Welsh and Forbes too. We do lack cover in central defence with Archie in the dugout. Rowson's departure frees up some more cash for a loan deal if it's necessary. It is possible that David, given his age and recent injuries, felt that he could not compete at this level.

We are covered in central midfield. Paton and Murray are experienced players plus we have Welsh and Forbes too. We do lack cover in central defence with Archie in the dugout. Rowson's departure frees up some more cash for a loan deal if it's necessary. It is possible that David, given his age and recent injuries, felt that he could not compete at this level.

Rowson didn't leave to free up a wage for an emergency loan signing - he left because it was in his own interests to do so, just as he did the first time. Don't get me wrong, he has been a great servant to Thistle and I loved his attitude, especially when he was surrounded by mediocrity or worse, but he is leaving to do what he sees as furthering his own career, even at this late stage, just as McNamara is doing. The fact that some of us don't consider United to be a huge step up, or don't think the extra money to be worth it for him, doesn't matter. It's his decision and his right to do what he sees as best for himself, just as any one of us would do and just as Thistle would have done if he had turned out to be a disasterous appointment.

My view is that football is such a fickle business,particularly for managers, that they need to take the opportunity when it comes along. They can't live on what if's. how do you think Terry Butcher is feeling just now. A week or 2 after turning down a massive offer, his team have lost 3 in a row and are out of 2 cups. And his team may just disappear in the league. I think that Rowson got the send off he deserved because he gave his services to PT but I don't agree with the bile directed at JM.

Still a proud loyal man I would think :thumbsup2:

Rowson didn't leave to free up a wage for an emergency loan signing - he left because it was in his own interests to do so, just as he did the first time. Don't get me wrong, he has been a great servant to Thistle and I loved his attitude, especially when he was surrounded by mediocrity or worse, but he is leaving to do what he sees as furthering his own career, even at this late stage, just as McNamara is doing. The fact that some of us don't consider United to be a huge step up, or don't think the extra money to be worth it for him, doesn't matter. It's his decision and his right to do what he sees as best for himself, just as any one of us would do and just as Thistle would have done if he had turned out to be a disasterous appointment.

I did not say that Rowson left to free up a wage, just that it would help fund a loan signing if needed.

As for McNamara and Donnelly, they are naturally free to accept other offers subject to the terms of their contracts. However, fans are entitled to question Jackie's decision, and its timing, only a few weeks after signing an improved deal. It is significant that the club did not thank them for their efforts in the official statement on the website.

Kni,

It is not significant. Think back to the summer when the board got absolute pelters for not making clear how they voted. You are only saying that because it helps your argument. And Chico fan, you are making an assumption that Terry Butcher still thinks he made the right decision. My point is that there are too many uncertainties in football to be able to bank on future success and you shouldn't criticise them for taking the opportunity when offered.

Kni,

It is not significant. Think back to the summer when the board got absolute pelters for not making clear how they voted. You are only saying that because it helps your argument.

Given the length of the statement and the content, it is very significant. And why should I not use it if it "helps my argument"? You appear to have a private agenda or a vested interest.

Well, would it not be better to use facts to help your argument. What makes you think that I have a private agenda or vested interest. Is it because I am not criticising JM for going. However,having read it again, I will concede that it is unlikely that not thanking JM in the statement was an oversight.

^ I used the fact that the club statement did not thank Messrs McNamara and Donnelly for their services and efforts. Given our improvement this season and position in the league, that is a key fact. Another fact is that the statement did not include any comments from either them.

The club's statement on Rowson's departure is very different in tone. It concludes "we would like to thank David for his service in his time at Firhill and wish him well for the future." David's own message to the fans is very warm in tone. It's clear that he really loves our club, its staff and fans.

And you think that there is no difference between Rowson leaving and McNamara leaving? Their nature and circumstances are very different.

Edited by kni