Martial Arts

mrD

Decided at the age of 31 im going to get back into MA as im not getting any younger and its something ive always intended to get back into. Done boxing for two years when i was a kid and done Jeet Kune Do for six months. Im thinking id like to do something traditional but im also thinking a more reality based one is worth a go such as krav maga?

any thoughts??

Muay Thai as well (also Vale Tudo) although due to other commitments i'm not able to attend as much as I did in the past.

Before Muay Thai I did Tae Kwon Do, but I was young and too much emphasis was on showing someone you could hit them without causing too much harm. Although I work with someone who is a 6th dan and watched a few of his fights and there is no lack of contact!

Where would you be looking to train?

Best thing is get a good club with a good teacher and that way whatever you do you will have a good chance of being good at it.

The same sadly applies the other way.

I am (was) old school so Shotokan Karate would be my recommendation.

I trained for a long time before having to retire but never really found anything to beat it.

However some people find the old style arts a bit restricting.

Best thing is get a good club with a good teacher and that way whatever you do you will have a good chance of being good at it.

The same sadly applies the other way.

I am (was) old school so Shotokan Karate would be my recommendation.

I trained for a long time before having to retire but never really found anything to beat it.

However some people find the old style arts a bit restricting.

What grade did you reach ?

cheers for the responses. I've decided to take up a traditional form of kung fu for reasons of aethetics as well as applicability. I realise that doing a traditional martial art takes years before it can be applied so ive decided that once my fitness goes up a bit ill go to my local boxing club once or twice a week to get some sparring practice.

i could never do taekwondo because i find even doing kicks to the waist a challenge. Maui Tai is hardcore and the conditioning scares me!! My daughter does shito ryu karate and it seems that there is a lot of simelarites with kung fu particularly regarding stances.

Edited by mrD

• 1 year later...

i did kung fu in the 70's for 8 years when i lived in hong kong. I had to ask a master and had to live with him for 3 days before he decided if i was right to train. i had to train 4 hours a day, 7 days a week. was exhausting at times but worth it. it taught me a lot more other than fighting, such as about chinese culture. I got a lot out of it though. Used it in Dunfermline against two we scallies who tried to work their ticket at a bus stop 10 yr ago. You should have seen the look on their terror stricken faces. Just though i was an old, baldy guy at a bus stop. When people see you take stance and strike out, they usually freeze with fear.