Standard Of Officials

clarencegarter

After watching the Dortmund v Malaga game last night and again being embarrased by the standard of Scottish refs and linesmen. Even afterwards on sky they began discussing how the Scottish officials didn't cover themselves in glory.

On the biggest stage in football and can't get basic decisions right.

First of all the linesman allows the Malaga goal at 2-1 to stand when the ball is played thru and the Malaga attacker is a clear half yard offisde and replays show the linesman for once is up with play but still manages to get it wrong.

Then as Dortmund are searching for a winner a ball is played into the box and at least three players are offside. The official misses it again and then as the ball is bundled onto the line the player who taps it in is again offside. Missing two massive offsides that lead to the goal is unacceptable. For Malaga to be robbed of getting into the semi finals in the biggest club competition in the world because of officials who aren't good enough is rediculous.

You seen on Sunday that the qots keeper was allowed to dictate the pens because the ref never had the bottle to send him off.

Week in week out we see bad decisions and there are now beginning to cost teams games and also the chance of a champs league semi final.

What other job would you be allowed to constantly make mistakes and still get paid and not even disciplined? Oh sometimes they get moved a division to ref there next game, but they still get paid the same money and next week there back in the premier league. They had a strike a couple of years ago and since then it's as if they are untouchable. Things surely need to change.

Edited by clarencegarter

Bottom line is without referees the game simply doesn't happen - especially relevant at the lower levels kids/amateurs where the ref is on his/her own with no other officials taking verbal abuse for 90 minutes for a few sheckles.

As for the Dortmund game I would disagree with a couple of points:

- Malaga goal the linesman wasn't up with play - a few yards behind when the ball played through/tapped in and therefore not in line to give a decision (rule for refs and assistants is if you don't see it don't give it)

- agree that assistant missed the 3 offside from Dortmund free kick but when the ball was bundled in the Malaga boy in the goals had his feet on/over the line so technically he was playing the goalscorer onside

- disagree Malaga were 'robbed' - they made the mistake of getting 1 in front with 9 minutes to go and then parking the bus and defending their lines poorly - sitting far too deep with the back 4 almost on top of the keeper

- I've seen much worse refereeing in the CL/Europa this season from other countries referees.

Edited by gianlucatoni

Bottom line is without referees the game simply doesn't happen - especially relevant at the lower levels kids/amateurs where the ref is on his/her own with no other officials taking verbal abuse for 90 minutes for a few sheckles.

As for the Dortmund game I would disagree with a couple of points:

- Malaga goal the linesman wasn't up with play - a few yards behind when the ball played through/tapped in and therefore not in line to give a decision (rule for refs and assistants is if you don't see it don't give it)

- agree that assistant missed the 3 offside from Dortmund free kick but when the ball was bundled in the Malaga boy in the goals had his feet on/over the line so technically he was playing the goalscorer onside

- disagree Malaga were 'robbed' - they made the mistake of getting 1 in front with 9 minutes to go and then parking the bus and defending their lines poorly - sitting far too deep with the back 4 almost on top of the keeper

- I've seen much worse refereeing in the CL/Europa this season from other countries referees.

If you watch the replay again the linesman is clearly up with the play or giving the benefit of doubt half a yard behind. The basics of his job is to see offside and if he can't see it's off side when up with play then he shouldn't be a linesman at any level let alone that level.

http://youtu.be/BKeL6GvNuBw

For the last Dortmund goal yes the Malaga player is on the line however the dortmund player is infront of the keeper. therefore is offside because to be onside requires two defenders to be Infront of the attacker and usually the keeper is classed as a defender.

So Just because they went to a defensive set up they weren't robbed and deserved to be out due to poor officiating? Of course Dortmund were gonna throw everyone forward and it's only natural to play deep. They weren't that deep if in two stages of play in the lead up to the goal and scoring the goal they manages to play the Dortmund players offside however an inept Scottish official missed it.

Of course there has been other poor decisions made by officials from other countries in the champions league and Europa that's natural however my original point was Scottish refs/linesman and used the Dortmund game to highlight it. I'm sure we all have stories of poor officiating from other countries.

• Members

Looking at that video of the Malaga goal, to be fair to the assistant, it's a difficult one to judge. The instant the ball is passed, it's played from jut beyond the cut and in line with the goalscorer. I would say that it was a good decision to allow the goal to stand.

Looking at that video of the Malaga goal, to be fair to the assistant, it's a difficult one to judge. The instant the ball is passed, it's played from jut beyond the cut and in line with the goalscorer. I would say that it was a good decision to allow the goal to stand.

I've watched the replay 2 or 3 times and I agree.

I think it is harsh to sit and watch replays of tight decisions a number of times then criticise officials who have to make split second decisions - whilst on the run.

If you watch the replay again the linesman is clearly up with the play or giving the benefit of doubt half a yard behind. The basics of his job is to see offside and if he can't see it's off side when up with play then he shouldn't be a linesman at any level let alone that level.

http://youtu.be/BKeL6GvNuBw

For the last Dortmund goal yes the Malaga player is on the line however the dortmund player is infront of the keeper. therefore is offside because to be onside requires two defenders to be Infront of the attacker and usually the keeper is classed as a defender.

So Just because they went to a defensive set up they weren't robbed and deserved to be out due to poor officiating? Of course Dortmund were gonna throw everyone forward and it's only natural to play deep. They weren't that deep if in two stages of play in the lead up to the goal and scoring the goal they manages to play the Dortmund players offside however an inept Scottish official missed it.

Of course there has been other poor decisions made by officials from other countries in the champions league and Europa that's natural however my original point was Scottish refs/linesman and used the Dortmund game to highlight it. I'm sure we all have stories of poor officiating from other countries.

Looking at the video I would say the goal is onside. The player receiving the ball was in line with the second last defending player when the ball was plyed through to him. A player is in an offside postion if he is closer to his opponent's goal line than 2 defenders AND the ball. If he is in line with the second last defender then he is onside, The law requiring defenders to be between the attacker and the goal line, i.e. offside if you're in line, changed many years ago. The goalkeeper is always included as one of the defenders for offside purposes.

Edited by Exiled AusJag