Alec Raisbeck My Life-Story From The Weekly News 1915

stuthejag

Fascinating post. These personal accounts bring those seemingly untouchable eras closer.

"A blend of English dash and Scottish brains would, to my mind, constitute an ideal side" ~ Alick Raisbeck

Great grandson of Alick was in the S & G on Saturday. The legend liveth :)

Superb anecdote. :happy2:

• 5 months later...

Absolutely fantastic articles: a real first hand insight into a mesmerising chapter in our club's history. I love reading this stuff.

"The Thistle": I still say that, and I think a few others do too. "Monni Thistle" is just a corruption / contraction of 'Come on the Thistle', I suppose.

Big thanks to Stu for uploading these priceless gems. :thumbsup2:

Edited by Blackpool Jags

It's the really, really, old-school guys (whomsoever they support) that say "the Thistle". Ordinary old-school guys (and Thistle fans) say "Thistle". My uncle is a really, really, old-school guy - a Celtic man - and he always calls us "the Thistle".

I don't class myself as being "really, really old school"; I'll only be 94 next birthday and I can still run to the toilet by the way.

• 3 weeks later...

Right old-timers need help naming the players in this pic from season 1971-72 when our reserves won the 2nd XI Cup.

Donnie McKinnon (top off) ? and Jackie Husband so far..

Back row, left to right: Tommy Rae, Charlie Smith, Don't know, Bobby Gray(?), Donnie McKinnon, Brian Ralston(?), Jackie Campbell, Don't know, Don't know, John Gibson(?) in front of Bobby Houston(?)

Front row: Jackie Husband, Bobby Gray, Jimmy Mullin, Iain Reid(?), Joe Craig(?), definitely don't know the other two.

ETA: Think back row third from left is 'keeper, Iain Dick.

Edited by Jaggernaut
  • Like 1