Captain

Charlie Endell

• 2 weeks later...

There's good problems and bad problems.Whether to give the armband to Kris, Conrad or another is an example of the former.

Nobody could argue against Doolan being captain if you're looking for an exemplary professional. I still think especially with even more midfielders signed that we'll play with a solitary striker. Agreed that's more than likely to be Doolan but in all probability Kris, as is the case with all sole strikers, will be subbed in most games. It's far likelier that Conrad will see most games out and will have far more playing time than Doolan.

Apart from those two there's a few other guys that would make fine captains. As I said this is a good problem.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Welsh was a surprise as named captain but what a choice. He was immense last night. Talking to the ref throughout and putting our case forward was another aspect to it. Interestingly he got booked for it despite Goodwallaper nagging the ref all night and getting away with it.

Ideal position to have your captain play in.

I was a bit miffed to see him carded for verbals thinking that refs usually give a bit more latitude to captains as it avoids being surrounded by his teammates. Much as I thought Thomson had a poor game I suppose you've got to trust he'll be fair and consistent with verbal abuse. Quite staggering to think we got three yellows to their one but that's something we'll just have to get used to till we're established in the top flight.