Nfl Season 13/14 Thread

mrD

Hmmmmm. The acid test for the Seahawks will, as you allude to, be Sunday's big match-up against the boys in red'n'gold. This being the business end of the regular season, becomes the bit where the pedigree 49ers kick on and assert themselves I reckon. I do fear your optimism, whilst understandable - and based on a cracking season thus far - is about to be severely tested.

Nevertheless, a close and hard fought battle awaits us. Niners by 5 points!

Cough, ahem. Clears throat again.

• Like 1

looks like another matchup between the rivally will happen in the playoffs....

Agreed, and if the Seahawks can learn some basics from last week's match-up (eg reducing needless penalties - 2nd most penalised team in the NFL, apparently!), they could well go all the way. To be honest, the 49ers were a wee bit fortunate in the end, and that late run from Frank Gore was all that separated the sides in even handed if bruising encounter.

If they do meet in the play-offs, Seattle would have home field advantage and that could be the difference. Whatever the outcome, it would be a cracking game - nothing surer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it might go to the wire for the NFC west champion spot. Was a good win for the 49ers last night, which they really had to win after we lost to the cardinals. Worryingly our offense was not able to find anyway through the cardinals defense, and wilson looked surprisingly bereft of ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

that was a good result to the 49ers. for some daft reason i got my days wrong with the wildcard games so never got to see any, so im gonna watch the highlights tonight :( shame, id've liked to have watched the cheifs game, kinda been keeping an eye on them, looks like an immense match as well. Quite worried about us playing the saints, even though we have already beaten them, since after the atlanta match has shown that we can be vulnerable even at home.

The Saints - Seahawks encounter is too close to call for me. Another last gasp field goal? Every chance. SF are seemingly not expected to win in Carolina next week, but it's that time of the season where form doesn't count for too much and the side that are most desperate to succeed probably will.

It's all turning out to be a post-season of genuine drama. May it continue.

just watched the highlights of the chiefs colts game. wish i had seen it live. quite a comeback from 38-10 at one point i think. But i think for such a high scoring game of both teams their defenses must be pretty shit?

Playoffs is pretty nailbiting stuff thats for sure!

In my opinion, the key for the Seahawks is to cut out the excessive amount of penalty yards they concede. The margins are tight enough in the post-season, so they can ill afford to be profligate in this respect. If they can be more disciplined then I think they could land the NFC title. After that, we'll just have to wait and see.

yeah the penalty yards have been a real problem for the seahawks. its the one part of an otherwise exemplary defense that needs attention to. just watched the highlights of bengals v chargers. bengals kept giving away possession - not good.

Does anybody watch CFL?

Obviously joined this thread 4 months late! Massive fan in the early 90's, bought First Down every week, contacted Glasgow Tigers for a trial to be told "You're 13 years old, and quite wee even for that age group, come back when yer older". Then completely fell away from it (ignored the whole Claymores thing completely, perhaps something to do with suggestions that their introduction stifled the actual Scottish American Football Game, but I can't remember ) until about 4 weeks ago when I stumbled across a highlights programme somewhere. Watched the Dolphins claim a win against the Patriots, decided to follow it again (mainly on Twitter), then the Dolphins, with Thistle inspired defending fall apart to the Bills and Jets and balls up a play off place.

Always been more bias towards the AFC teams in general but wouldn't grudge the Seahawks a Superbowl (I like their loud fans and always felt sorry for them as they were mince in the early 90's). Been getting up to speed with the new teams/format/stadiums and quite enjoying it. Is it only on Sky Sports? One thing I have noticed is that the QB's tend to do a bit more rushing, or is that because I only watched Dan Marino at QB? Think he only ran about 15 yards in his entire career!

where seahawks not originally AFC?

Sometimes channel 4 cover some of the games, but skysports cover most of them, and i think it is only them that are covering the play off games. I tend to watch the games on stream channels such as crictv and generally its been not bad quality all things considered.

Im pretty new to gridiron, so i dont have the experience to contrast the way quarterbacks play now from back in the day (not to mention i have no knowledge whatsoever re gridiron tactics) but there was quite an interesting discussion by the pundits prior to the seahawks game last night where they were discussing this increasing phenomena of more 'mobile' quarterbacks amongst the young up and coming ones (such as Wilson and Kaepernick). Anyways they kinda defined this more mobile style as they tend to play outside the pocket more often, making more rushes, but also finding space outside the pocket to make more incisive passes.

Does anybody know about the changes that has happened in recent years which make it harder to impede passes to recievers? Cause i have heard a few people moaning about how this has made american football more a passing game rather than rushing game.

So its seahawks vs 49ers for NFC championship game - bit scary considering how last game went - also match against saints wasn't very convincing on the offense in terms of pass completion by wilson. dunno if we have got the offense for getting to and winning superbowl...

nevertheless...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lJGv6pR_IY

Edited by mrD

oh yeah, dizzy - be interested to hear your thoughts about why you weren't into nfl europe and how you thought it was adverse to the development in gridiron in this country...

would really like to see the sport develop here.

Edited by mrD

I remember reading a few articles at the time which suggested fans and resources being drawn from the amateur game, and with it being so small, it really struggled once they left. It wasn’t so much my view, just an article I read. It’s really strange how I never got into NFL Europe. I got into NFL in primary 7 maybe, and watched live games at midnight on Channel 4. Probably watching games myself at midnight (and little tactical awareness) at that age made the spectacle of a 3 hour programme a bit boring. Towards leaving school, none of my mates where into it so I kind of drifted away once I realised getting to play it wasn’t going to happen.

The whole advent of NFL Europe had a very Gretna-esque feel to it in my view. I reckon if I got into it a bit later (maybe after leaving school) I would have kept my interest and perhaps played at a low level. Not to worry though. I think I can maybe appreciate the tactics a bit more now and will probably be able to enjoy the game a bit more sitting in my living room drinking, as opposed to sitting in a dark wee room with the sound turned down as to not wake up my family!

Strange thing is with NFL, I’m very much for the idea of wage caps and the draft system, but I find the notion of the Wembley games a bit odd. If the Jags were a top European team and decided ‘we’re away for a home game in Japan’ I’d be livid with it. I also find the whole Livingston approach of abandoning an area if things aren’t going well, a bit strange too.

In saying that, if that’s what the Americans do then its up to them. Thinking of getting Madden 13 or 25 this month, I was a LEGEND at Madden ’94, the only time I saw the Dolphins win the trophy!

• Like 1

Woof! San Fran on the March and shaping up nicely for the big one next week. I still think home field advantage and the loud crowd will edge it for the Seahawks. Still, I'd be surprised if there's any more than a TD in it come full time. Kaepernick's nicely into his stride now, as are other key 49ers such as Gore, Davis, Boldin and one or two others.

Really looking forward to it.

Re your question, above, Mr D - Seattle were an AFC team who moved over to the NFC as part of an NFL expansion a few years ago; the league went from 28 to 32 teams, adding Houston, Carolina, Jacksonville and Tennessee (?).

Roll on next Sunday!

I remember reading a few articles at the time which suggested fans and resources being drawn from the amateur game, and with it being so small, it really struggled once they left. It wasn’t so much my view, just an article I read. It’s really strange how I never got into NFL Europe. I got into NFL in primary 7 maybe, and watched live games at midnight on Channel 4. Probably watching games myself at midnight (and little tactical awareness) at that age made the spectacle of a 3 hour programme a bit boring. Towards leaving school, none of my mates where into it so I kind of drifted away once I realised getting to play it wasn’t going to happen.

The whole advent of NFL Europe had a very Gretna-esque feel to it in my view. I reckon if I got into it a bit later (maybe after leaving school) I would have kept my interest and perhaps played at a low level. Not to worry though. I think I can maybe appreciate the tactics a bit more now and will probably be able to enjoy the game a bit more sitting in my living room drinking, as opposed to sitting in a dark wee room with the sound turned down as to not wake up my family!

Strange thing is with NFL, I’m very much for the idea of wage caps and the draft system, but I find the notion of the Wembley games a bit odd. If the Jags were a top European team and decided ‘we’re away for a home game in Japan’ I’d be livid with it. I also find the whole Livingston approach of abandoning an area if things aren’t going well, a bit strange too.

In saying that, if that’s what the Americans do then its up to them. Thinking of getting Madden 13 or 25 this month, I was a LEGEND at Madden ’94, the only time I saw the Dolphins win the trophy!

Yeah i can see the adverse impact that NFL europe could have on the development of gridiron in this country at the grass roots level. It is something that i would really like to see develop somewhat, i think soccer in scotland is pretty much dead, so maybe its the time to find something new to make our own. Maybe having a franchise in London will make it a more high profile game than it is just now and get it a bit more coverage and more people could tune into it perhaps..

Yeah NFL is very paradoxical in a lot of ways. I think their interventionist brand of capitalism, based on the wisdom that to make sport interesting there has to be some kidna parity, is pretty enlightented, rather than the neo-liberalesque oligopolistic brand that has developed in soccer in the UK which has led to the stagnancy of the OF in scotland and the big four in england.

Another paradoxical feature that is at odds with the way i reckon most would imagine the way american sports are conducted is the whole ownership issue of the packers, which are as im sure you know a fan owned franchise. pretty awesome stuff...

A lot of people moan about the adverts, but i've found its a good way to watch with a few beers on the tv- specially the earlier kick off games, means one can be in bed not long after midnight.

Woof! San Fran on the March and shaping up nicely for the big one next week. I still think home field advantage and the loud crowd will edge it for the Seahawks. Still, I'd be surprised if there's any more than a TD in it come full time. Kaepernick's nicely into his stride now, as are other key 49ers such as Gore, Davis, Boldin and one or two others.

Really looking forward to it.

Re your question, above, Mr D - Seattle were an AFC team who moved over to the NFC as part of an NFL expansion a few years ago; the league went from 28 to 32 teams, adding Houston, Carolina, Jacksonville and Tennessee (?).

Roll on next Sunday!

cheers for the info on the seahawks re afc :)

have to say im really lookign forward to it BlackpoolJags. Heres a post i did in another forum that kidna sums out my feelings as to how the superbowl is going to end up and how specifically its going to go between us and the 49ers..

think its gonna be really tight for all teams at this stage, but my gut feeling is that as far as the NFC is concerned 49ers will go through. Obviously, the seahawks have got home field advantage, and i do think the 12th man does make a difference, but after losing to the cardinals at home, i don't really feel that confident about that factor.

Both teams have pretty strong defences, obviously seahawks have been the best in that department thus far, however, given the fact that we have the highest amount of penalty yards conceded and also the fact that Harbaugh puts a lot of pressure on the referees, i think this could potentially have a big impact on the outcome. It seemed to do so in the last match between us and the 49ers.

Then there are the quarterbacks. Earlier on in the season, felt utmost confidence in Wilson, and i still think in a number of areas he is a better QB than Kaepernick (from what i've seen of both of them). For example, Wilson seems better at avoiding getting sacked, and appears to be far more mobile outside the pocket, seems to be able to make passes and runs outside of the pocket under pressure, whereas i think Kaepernick is more prone to shitting it and not gaining anything under pressure, more prone to sacks and turnovers etc...

Be that as it may, it seems that Wilson for the last few games, has been really shit at third down conversions, and doesn't really seem to be able to sustain a significant drive. Like last match, had it not been for the exemplary play by Marshawn Lynch, where he got 2 touchdowns in 140 yard rushes, i can't see where else scoring would have come from. And lynch has been pretty inconsistent, so i guess a lot will depend upon how well he is playing as to what score we put on the board; but with poor drives and shit third down conversions a lot is gonna rest on his shoulders and luck, and good defense play without penaltys and so on.

And that is a lot of factors we are going to have to rely on, so my gut instinct is that we aint gonna win it. But then, maybe thats the gloomy partick thistle supporter in me that stops me from getting my hopes up!!

As for eagles Vs broncos - havent really watched any matches outside the NFC west roster, and this is my first season watching NFL so i really don't have any inkling as to how this game will develop. But i am really relishing the opportunity to see such quality being pitted against each other.

So my prediction for superbowl will be 49ers Vs Another, but that the AFC team will win it as they have got more experience and surely rookie QBs would find it difficult to rise to that occasion..

Edited by mrD

Having a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAFA_National_Leagues and am kind of kicking myself now that I never kept up my interest in the game when I was in my older teens. I thought a few years back if the SFA had a similar drafting policy to the NFL for example, the best Junior players getting moves to a higher league, that may be interesting but I know it would never work.

I think the issue in Scotland is that the facilities are there, it's just that the desire isn't to treat sports as a priority. I think in Germany they have professional womens football, and handball leagues, and Italy have professional volleyball leagues, whereas here there is hee haw other than farcical demands on the few professional football clubs, like ridiculous kick off times and over sized stadiums.

Anyway, I digress, don't know about the rule changes but from the highlights of the last few highlights I've watched there seems to be a lot more throwing and a lot less emphasis on running backs, I find it a bit more exciting. Perhaps the rule changes were brought in to open up chances of more interceptions and unpredictable play, other than RB's just running a few yards at a time?